• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Origins of the Rupee

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkypete

I am the very model of a modern major-general
I was wondering what everybody thought about the origins of the very famous currency in zelda, the rupee. I had a dream recently (I know, a little weird) about the origins, and it all connects to skyward sword, the beginning of the timeline. Here it is. The first mogma to exist started digging, but not for treasure. The mogmas also dig to stay safe from monsters. Anyways, while he was digging, he ran into some hard, shiny stones that he called rupee ore. When he tried to dig through it, pieces of it broke off, all in a certain shape. That was the shape of the rupees we know today. He brought some of those up to the surface and showed the goddess his findings. This was before the war with the demons, so it was all OK and nothing bad was happening. The Hylians were down living on the surface with the others, because Hylia had not put a chunk of land into the sky for them to live on yet. They instantly recognized this rupee ore as something valuable, and started mining for more. When they found a lot of it, they started to label them by how common they were, Green being the most common and least valuable. They also found a black ore, that they named rupoor ore, that was like negative rupees. It had magical qualities that made rupees disappear. When Hylia took the chunk of land that became skyloft to the sky, rupee ore dropped off of the soil from the bottom of skyloft and onto the surface, into the grass. When link descends to the surface during Skyward Sword, he cuts the grass that has some of the rupee ore in it. Monsters also carry them because they hoard rupees like a dragon hoards treasure. When link shoots rupee ore on walls in eldin volcano, it breaks and creates rupees. That is my theory, all based on a dream. What are your thoughts?:ghirahim:

Kirino

Tatakae
The Rupee is a form of currency used in various Asian countries, which is most likely where Nintendo got it from. No idea where the shape came from though; real rupees look nothing like that. Nintendo probably just made the shape up. In the Zelda series, rupees are probably just valuable multi-coloured gems and minerals that are used as currency in Hyrule. Interesting dream though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom