• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oracles Overlooked?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
The Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages have always been (probably) the less talked/discussed Zelda games...
And my question is: Why?
They are just great and awsome(specially Ages)...
Owning them both gives new stuff to both of the versions, and makes the game you start playing with the password from the other version a bit different...
They are graphically, improved versions of Link's Awakening/DX, and i like those graphics, as they give you space to imagine things up:)
Why are they so hard to find?
why doesn't people talk about them?

Yeah, the Oracle games don't seem to get as much attention as most of the other games. I don't know why that is, but maybe lots of people just didn't like them as much. We don't even have a section for them here :(. Which is why this is in "Classic Zelda" it appears.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Yeah, but they're great... I usually get sick reading reviews of them... people always give the something from 6 to 8... They're actually quite great(specially ages)

I personally think that the reason they aren't talked about as much is because first of all the big consoles always get the most attention. Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time etc.

Second, to me they've always just been kind of the side games. You have the regular Handheld games, such as Phantom Hourglass and Link's Awakening, then we kind of start to go down with less interesting with Minish Cap and the Oracle Games.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
In my opinion something is missing when I play those games. They can not make me really enthusiastic and excited. They (and also LA) are not even in the same class as LoZ, a game that was made many years earlier. Is not that incredible? The dungeons are not good enough and neither are the bosses. Maybe a lot of people feel like I do?

Mehplep

Simply awesome
I think that the Oracles are two phenomenal games that are ridiculiously underrated by many gamers. They both are just overall great, having everything a Zeldagame should have, and plenty more. Even though the overworlds was kinda disappointing, the great dungeons and awesome bosses made well up for it. The rings made Link a little more customizable, which also was a great feature that have never been seen in the franchise again. Perhaps the biggest feature was of course the linking system, making the both linked games probably the longest Zelda game to this date. Mine favourite would be Seasons i think, just because I found it more challenging and entertaining than Ages, but Ages is still a superb game for that matter.

Were the Oracles really failed was the releasedate, my guess. The both games was released in 2001, the same year as the Game Boy Advanced was released. The GBC was a dying system, and the Oracles really didn't get the attention they deserved, because everybody was busy pre-ordering their GBAs. Now, one of the most ironic things about this is that the developers of the Oracles actually knew that the GBC was outdated, and added a feature in the game only accessible with a GBA. Yes, the games can only be played fully on a GBA. The GBA-shop, even though a very small feature in the game, really made the games look... slovenly. The designers just made two games just because.

If the Oracles was delayed for just a couple of month, with updated visuals and sounds making it a 32bit game, and was released as a launch title for the GBA, the games would've been waaaay more famous and appreciated. They just were too late for the public attention, which is a shame, since both are, as stated, phenomenal.

Nah, enough of this. I'm gonna play some OoS now.

Kybyrian

I hate you for the last paragraph Josh.

Anyway, the Oracle games are by far one of the best. Plus, it's not often you see a direct title link in a Zelda game, except for Four Swords and whatnot.

The Oracle games were amazing. I could write tons of things here, in fact, I think I will.

I'm just going to do Ages.

Ages was simply amazing. With the Harp of Ages and the different songs, it's sort of challenging too. Not very easy. And also the fact that there were those different helpers you have, the weird creatures like the bear with wings. The trading sequence was pretty cool too, reminded me of Ocarina of Time and the quest for the Biggoron's Sword. You even get the Noble Sword from it actually. The Tokay were a good twist on the Zelda series, and the past and present variations were simply amazing. The dungeons were pretty awesome as well. Some of the enemies were kind of challenging, and it had some pretty good bosses.

The bosses weren't all that easy either. Like the one with the multiple faces for example.

Also, Roc's Feather was a good add to the game too. Instead of just being able to jump like you can in the others, you have an item where you actually have to use it to jump over things. Plus, the Tuni Nut thing and Restoration Wall were good additions, and later on how you had to climb it to get the Noble Sword. Veran was also pretty cool, and the different forms that he used in your last battle with her.

Maple, the witch that you sometimes randomly bump into was pretty awesome too, because items are dropped and stuff. Also completely random.

The whole plot was great as well.

The seed shooter, seeds, and the Switch Hook were amazing items as well. Also how you use the Mystic Seeds to help you beat Veran and the switch hook to pull him towards you. It had some of the most challenging dungeons and boss battles actually.

Amazing game.

I hate you for the last paragraph Josh.

Anyway, the Oracle games are by far one of the best. Plus, it's not often you see a direct title link in a Zelda game, except for Four Swords and whatnot.

The Oracle games were amazing. I could write tons of things here, in fact, I think I will.

I'm just going to do Ages.

Ages was simply amazing. With the Harp of Ages and the different songs, it's sort of challenging too. Not very easy. And also the fact that there were those different helpers you have, the weird creatures like the bear with wings. The trading sequence was pretty cool too, reminded me of Ocarina of Time and the quest for the Biggoron's Sword. You even get the Noble Sword from it actually. The Tokay were a good twist on the Zelda series, and the past and present variations were simply amazing. The dungeons were pretty awesome as well. Some of the enemies were kind of challenging, and it had some pretty good bosses.

The bosses weren't all that easy either. Like the one with the multiple faces for example.

Also, Roc's Feather was a good add to the game too. Instead of just being able to jump like you can in the others, you have an item where you actually have to use it to jump over things. Plus, the Tuni Nut thing and Restoration Wall were good additions, and later on how you had to climb it to get the Noble Sword. Veran was also pretty cool, and the different forms that he used in your last battle with her.

Maple, the witch that you sometimes randomly bump into was pretty awesome too, because items are dropped and stuff. Also completely random.

The whole plot was great as well.

The seed shooter, seeds, and the Switch Hook were amazing items as well. Also how you use the Mystic Seeds to help you beat Veran and the switch hook to pull him towards you. It had some of the most challenging dungeons and boss battles actually.

Amazing game.

Yeah, Ages was an awesome game. I'd agree with most of what you said here, but you forgot the rings. They were really cool, I had some fun running around as a Moblin (not that I could actually DO anything in Moblin form :D) or Like Like. I've never played Seasons. Maybe once I get a bunch of the games I want now I'll have to check it out. Sounds like a good game to me.

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I loved Oracle of Ages. It's the only one of the two that I've played. Actually the rings were the only thing I didn't like in the game. I couldn't figure out how to use the dang things. So that kinda sucked for me. Getting a bunch of rings and not being able to use them.

But other than that, I have no complaints. It was very challenging, with both puzzles and monsters. I think the bosses were the best part of the game because they weren't too easy. I probably died five times fighting Ramrock in the final dungeon. That made victory all the sweeter.:nerd:
I just wish they were on the VC so I could play them on the Wii. I sold my Ages.>.<

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Josh should get his head cut for what he said...but nevermind... i totally agree with Blackice,kybririan and mehplep(sorry if i misspelled any).
The oracles aRE JUST AMAZINg!

N

No_Comment

I got both games when I was 7 years old (or something like that) and recently I beat Seasons. I´m halfway through dungeon 6 in Ages, but that dance with the red goron... well, let´s just say that I´m not a very good dancer.

Anyway, Seasons was great, and it´s my brothers favorite handheld zelda game. But somehow, I just liked Link´s Awakening better.

Good games though, definetly NOT bad.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
The dance part is sooooooooooo annoying... but i prefer ages rather than seasons and Link's awakening rather than both xD

Kybyrian

Yeah, Ages was an awesome game. I'd agree with most of what you said here, but you forgot the rings. They were really cool, I had some fun running around as a Moblin (not that I could actually DO anything in Moblin form :D) or Like Like. I've never played Seasons. Maybe once I get a bunch of the games I want now I'll have to check it out. Sounds like a good game to me.

I knew I was forgetting at least one thing.

The rings were awesome. Sometimes I wouldn't have the patience to go and get them appraised though. Also something I didn't mention. The Black Tower. It was a helluva challenge getting through it to get to the last few steps of the game. It was like a huge maze, and I rarely made it through with over 5 hearts to spare.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
The Black tower was a tough one... and the ring mechanic should be brought back.. it's great... Heart Ring LV.2 is absolutely broken

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom