• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Oracle of Seasons: Why So Underrated?

YogLink

Water Temple Lover
I am currently playing OoS and planning on playing OoA.
I was having hard time figuring out a dungeon and i came to ZD to see the walktrough. I opened the page and got surprised with the lack of information and absolute lack of images.
I am loving it and it's actually in my top 5 right now. I'm super addicted with it and i even like it more than some mainstream Zelda games. Why are the oracles so underrated?

Can some explain me? :dry:

And More: ZD has a detailed and cool-looking walktrough on the Minish Cap which didn't sell half of what the oracles games sold!! This just makes me even more mad at ZD...

Last edited:
I dont know why it is so under rated. OoS and OoA was my first zelda games I have ever played and are my favorite zelda games.

B

bYt3M3

The Oracles series are a great set of games, maybe some of the best in the series. But all in all they weren't played as much as other games, so there paying attention to the ones most demanded.

MasterSwordBoy1

Hero of Pie
The Oracle games were awesome! But I don't why they were under rated, and I don't know a lot of people who have this. But oracle of season was my favorite oracle game.

I have no idea why the oracle games are underrated, they are two of my favourite Zelda games. Ages is definitely in my top five and seasons is probably sixth.

I think there under-rated because there Capcom games and therefore people don't see them as "true" zelda games.

Also the fact that people seem o think that only console games are the "real" games.

But both those games had Very memorable Over-worlds and Dungeons. If only Collecting all those rings wasn't so tedious.

because:

A) the latest console to play them on (as far as i know) is gameboy advance, and thats 2 gens ago

:cool: they are handhelds

C) they are not made by only nintendo, and is differing from the Canon sometimes.

I

I am Error

I have no clue. I absolutely loved both Oracle games, and I personally feel more people should get to play them. I think it's all down to the fact that they were released late in the GBC's lifecycle. They pretty much suffered the same fate as The Minish Cap on GBA.

Ganondork

goo
Oracle of Seasons is my second favorite game of all time actually. I found it to be a very good game with more action than most 2D Zelda games (except for Adventure of Link). It's actually very underrated because it was released in the later days of the Game Boy Color; a lot of people don't play it due to this. Even though the Game Boy Advanced was able to play it, there were other games to be looking forward to. Some people also believe that the Oracle Games are not Canon because Capcom made them, and they don't want to bother with non-canon games. Also the fact that it's a handheld game might have a slight effect on some people, especially with a newer audience; they may have disliked Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks and don't want to be disappointed in the Oracle Series.

As for the guide part, I'm actually not too sure why it doesn't have very much information, but I actually applied for Guide Writer to work on Oracle of Seasons and Ages' guides.

Definitely those games were one of the better Zelda games of all time in my opinion, right after A Link to the Past for me.

Earthtemple

The Windfish's Therapist
***OPINION WARNING***
Now that we got that out of the way, I'd like to give my honest opinion. I was having very much fun with Oracle of Seasons.... until the sword and shield maze. I find the controls a bit impossible at some points, especially jumping with the roc's cape onto one ice block. I don't mind challenge in a video game, as long as that challenge is because of combat or puzzles. When the controls make a game hard to play, it's just frustrating. I didn't face any of these parts in Oracle of Ages. All that being said, I will finish Oracle of Seasons in the next week, and it will have been a fun experience as a whole, but the S&S maze is taking a toll on my patience.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I believe the Oracles were underrated for several reasons. One, they were handheld, which is typically seen as 'less' than a console game. However, I certainly didn't find them lacking in content, and the bosses weren't too easy at all. Secondly, Capcom helped to develop the game. I don't think that this took away from anything, myself. They still had Link, portrayed as Link should be (not like his CD-i version), and they had the over world, the dungeons, and many of the usual characters (in the linked games they had Zelda and Ganondorf). They didn't try and do something so out there for Zelda games, and they didn't just destroy the Zelda franchise.
As well, it was three generations ago (if I'm correct, because Nintendo sees the 3DS as a 'new' gen), and they haven't been remade or anything. Ocarina of Time was remade for the 3DS, LoZ, AoL, LttP, MM, etc. were remade at some later point. Even Link's Awakening, which was first remade for the same generation as the Oracle series, is downloadable from the eShop. This serves greatly to increase its popularity. The Oracle series, however, haven't been put for any VC to download, which is unfortunate.
As well, they were at sort of the end of their console's day (this was done with MM, but, once again, VC). As luck would have it, the GBA played GB games, which meant that they still could be played, but it wasn't long before Wal-Mart decided to get rid of the GB games to make room for the GBA. Also, only until a few months ago, GBA games were still available at stores such as GameStop. GB games went away much sooner, as they were much older. And, once they are considered 'collectables' people on Ebay and the like decide that they want to get hundreds of dollars for the game.
Of course, they were amazing games, and I loved them. They are certainly in my top ten, and Ages being in my top five. They certainly shouldn't be so underrated, and I think if Nintendo were to put them on VC then they would be more popular.

While they do not deserve being as underrated as they are, it's just a fact that people do not hype over handheld games - especially handheld games that were released back then when GameBoy (Color) was still Nintendo's main handheld.

Oracle of Seasons was in my opinion one of the best, if not the best handheld Zelda. It had nice overworld, music and dungeons, but I agree, some people have problems with the fact that they were developed by Capcom. They can be a pain to get, as well, hopefully Nintendo will release them on VC someday. They might then get some more of the attention they deserved. I found them both enjoyable nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom