• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oracle Games

I recently replayed the oracle games and I realized the whole official timeline thing was just made up for hyrule historia and not a secret document that was used to plan all the zelda games. The oracle games are suppose to be after ALTTP and before LA. Ok I understand LA, due to the boat linking the games. However following ALTTP makes no sense to me.

The main thing is that Zelda in this game acts like it is the first time she is meeting Link. If this is the same Link who saved her in ALTTP she would allready know him. Thus this game was originally made just to be its own game with same characters but not really tied into the other games (except LA, I think because it wanted to link up to the other portable zelda game)

Another thing is twinrova would already be defeated. This isnt as big of a flaw because Ganon could have brought her back with using the triforce in ALTTP.

Thoughts? Why would Zelda not remember Link? Is it a different Zelda? When Link was transported by the triforce did he actually go to an alternate universe or an alternate time? Or is it just another flaw that points to the fact there really isnt an official timeline and it was just made for hyrule historia.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I believe that looking at the Japanese text, Zelda's greeting is more of a formality, not necessarily showing that they hadn't met before. Din introduces herself in the linked ending, even though Link has already met her in OoS. So if OoX can't follow LttP because of a greeting, then the linked ending doesn't make sense for the same reason.

Twinrova did say they'd return, though this wouldn't be the only unexplained resurrection in this timeline (well, the HH did sort of explain Ganon's between OoX and LoZ).

There's also enough evidence showing that OoX does follow LttP. First, Link has free access to the Triforce inside Hyrule Castle. LttP and AoL are the only games after which this would make sense. Accepting that LA follows OoX, its backstory claims "Though you fufilled the Hyrulian prophecy of the Legendary Hero and
destroyed the evil tyrant Ganon..." This description best fits LttP. LttP-Link is often referred to as the legendary Hero, and he is prophesied about:
LttP Manual said:
With the knowledge you have gained so far,
you should be ready for your quest. But if
you still have any doubts, what follows is a
message for the legendary Hero of Hyrule
(which you may yet become) from the
Hylian Book Of Mudora.
"We prophets of the Hylia know what your
future holds. Listen carefully...

I think that after the idea to make them LoZ/AoL remakes was scrapped, they were intentionally developed to fit in-between LttP and LA. Everything about their story fits perfectly. The only things that seem a little off are a recurring character and a pointless introduction - both of which occur in other places where they obviously don't matter (Din's introduction; many recurring characters in the series, or Ganon's resurrection).

Yes I also found the many recurring characters in the series very odd. That I didnt mind because its like most other zelda games they reuse stuff from older games. I never take into account recurring characters as timeline stuff.
As far as Zelda introducing herself, I guess I will accept the whole japanese to english translation with meeting Zelda... however it still seems odd to me. When Din introduces herself at the end she is proclaiming she is Din. Zelda on the other hand still acts like she is seeing you for the first time. Oh well guess I will accept the timeline for now... but I still think they made it up just for hyrule historia and it wasnt complete before that or it was in a different state

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
The main thing is that Zelda in this game acts like it is the first time she is meeting Link. If this is the same Link who saved her in ALTTP she would allready know him. Thus this game was originally made just to be its own game with same characters but not really tied into the other games (except LA, I think because it wanted to link up to the other portable zelda game)
Keep in mind that it is translated from Japanese... and it could have sounded different in the untranslated game. [EDIT: Oops... Locke beat me to this :(]I am not a huge timeline person, but I think that they are probably different Zeldas and Links from ALTTP.
Another thing is twinrova would already be defeated. This isnt as big of a flaw because Ganon could have brought her back with using the triforce in ALTTP.
This is just Nintendo being to lazy to come up with another Villain. Link kills Twinrova, yet Twinrova comes back. Link kills Gannon, yet Gannon comes back. It seems that in the Zelda series, the "Higher up" Villains don't know how to stay dead.

Smoore

The Rational Theist
On the reincarnation of Twinrova, this is one of those places where Hyrule Historia really screws itself over. The same problem exists for Volvagia, who is suddenly alive again in The Adventure of Link. Rather than having Link die in the final battle with Ganondorf, they should have just had Ganondorf kill him after he opened the door to the Sacred Realm, either before he drew the Master Sword or somehow while he was in hibernation. That way, the Triforce wouldn't split because there would be no one worthy of the Triforce of Courage, and Twinrova and Volvagia would still be alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom