• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Opting Not To Vote

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I don't vote, but that's mostly due to not really caring all that much. If it seems pretty clear which side my state is leaning anyway, then I know my opinion won't really matter. Now I live in a state where my vote might actually matter, so I'll vote in the upcoming elections.

Deus

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
ZD Champion
You should always vote, even if you don't like any party one is going to be slightly worse for you and voting for someone who is not them is a good idea.

I think it's very wise that you recognize that your not ready to vote yet. You have a right To Vote,not a right to appease pissy old busy-bodies.

I've opted out of several votes when the presidential pickings were slim to none and when I didn't like or didn't understand measures that were being put up.

Emma

Eye See You
Site Staff
I'd have to say though that people who choose to not to vote because they think the country is being mishandled or is structured wrong are making a very bad decision. You can't have the country reformed into exactly what you want overnight. If you expect that and will settle for nothing less, then you are never going to get what you want. Worst still, if you refuse to vote for moral reasons, then that is one less sensible person voting, meaning that the worst candidates who will deteriorate the country the most are that much more likely to succeed. If you want change, if you want reform, you have to be active, take a role, and make your voice heard. You won't get everything you want at once, but you can, bit by bit, if you work hard at it, work loudly, and work together. You'll find that most people actually might not even disagree with your point of view at its base level. But what good will that do you if you stubbornly sit in the corner and cry out that the world isn't fair while you do nothing about it and enable its worsening by giving its worst people more political strength with your absence?

MW7

But what good will that do you if you stubbornly sit in the corner and cry out that the world isn't fair while you do nothing about it and enable its worsening by giving its worst people more political strength with your absence?

There are a lot of depressingly low numbers on that second bar graph. Notice how the liberal advantage of 34% to 27% in the general public switches to a conservative advantage of 40% to 36% among likely voters. All that not voting does is give more power to the people that do. Regardless of a person's views, this graph should be alarming. People with mostly conservative or mostly liberal views will generally have a preference between candidates if they give half a thought to an election yet they choose to not vote about half the time and two-thirds of the time respectively.

Edit: Note that the second graph is based on historical averages of midterm elections and not presidential elections.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think voting is important, if nothing else in a symbolic way. Here in the United States, it truly makes little difference unless you're one of these partisan morons that votes party line. Politics here have become so hostile that it really sucks for people who actually think that the best ideas are probably a mixture of the two extremes, minus the extremes.

Do we need a 3rd party? Yes. In fact, we need more than just one extra party. We need a ton. Actually, we need to do away with them. People should vote for the candidate and what he/she stands for, not the party to which they belong. But I'm getting off topic.

I think voting is important, like I said, but I don't blame people for not voting, especially in the United States and the presidential election system here. Unfortunately, politics is a multi-billion dollar industry now, and I don't see a change any time soon.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
As I turned 18 this year, I'm now eligible to vote in our upcoming Canadian election and I'm extremely excited to do it. Not necessarily because I desperately want a particular person in office, but because I need Harper out of office and I think it's extremely important for us, the youth, the vote, because not voting is exactly what old Conservatives want us to. If we don't vote our (considerably more liberal) opinions will count for nothing and the Conservatives (which only have 32% favour anyway and are still winning) will take power for the 3rd time. I can't even begin to describe how absolutely awful it would be to live through more Harper government, so I'm strategically voting for whoever's got the best shot at getting him out.

I understand that not everyone wants to vote and you definitely can't force anyone to vote, but I highly encourage it. Vote for the sake of ensuring that people like Stephen Harper and Donald Trump don't get in power. Because not voting is playing right into their hands. I also think that I'm very lucky to have the ability to vote when you consider undeveloped countries who's people are constantly silenced and never get a voice in their own government, and I think it'd be unfair of me to disregard the freedom that we actually have here. I know sometimes it doesn't feel like a lot when you have to pick between Asshat 1 and Asshat 2, but the fact that we have a choice is important nonetheless.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I agree that a lot of the time the system is not as fair as it is made out to be. However, voting is the only voice you're given and by opting not to use it you are giving up any right you have to comment on the outcome. You don't like what the next government does? Tough, you didn't vote. That's just the way it is at the moment. I don't doubt that enormous changes are coming our way, especially in Europe. But you have to play the game if you want to win it. If you're waiting for a successful revolution that won't turn out sour in some singular but horrific way, you'll be waiting until the end of time. I am a believer in progress and conflict politics. Not voting says nothing about you except that you don't care. Even if you're abstaining with a political motive, your not voting isn't going to change a single thing. It just makes you look like a dreamer or a fence sitter, not somebody people will follow the example of in either case. I also believe that the problems lie in capitalism and not in democracy. Democracy has room for reform, only capitalism is blocking those reforms. Capitalism can be ousted democratically but only if you and the rest of us are politically engaged.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom