• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Opinions on Voice Acting

Should the next Zelda have full voice-acting?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Z

zeldafan7

There has been seemingly unanimous agreement [Edit: From my personal experiences I have witnessed a seemingly unanimous agreement (it could just be me)] that Zelda needs full voice acting. Am I the only one that seems to disagree? I think the facial expressions and small bursts of noise from characters are what make Zelda unique. It was certainly enough to develop characters and give them powerful personalities in skyward sword. I think voice-acting would make it feel much less like the traditional zelda, which would definitely make it less enjoyable for me. Not only that but I'd hate to hear people repeat what they said over and over again like the scrap shop owner. It could just be me, but i hope Nintendo stays away from voice-acting.

Where does everyone else stand on this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been seemingly unanimous agreement that Zelda needs full voice acting.

If you don't mind me asking; where has there been a "seemingly unanimous agreement" that Zelda needs voice-acting? I could be wrong, but from what I've seen around the internet, the majority [of Zelda fans] would much prefer if the Zelda series stuck with the status quo - regarding voice acting, that is.

I myself say NAY to voice-acting - full or otherwise... :yes:

If you don't mind me asking; where has there been a "seemingly unanimous agreement" that Zelda needs voice-acting? I could be wrong, but from what I've seen around the internet, the majority [of Zelda fans] would much prefer if the Zelda series stuck with the status quo - regarding voice acting, that is.

Actually, IGN conducted a poll not long ago and the majority of fans were all for voice acting. I'll update with the source later if I can find it.

Last edited:
Z

zeldafan7

You are right, I guess I should rephrase that then. But i personally have yet to see more than 3 people (and these people were commenting on video reviews) that didn't want voice acting which is why I said that. But I have yet to see a video review say that the lack of voice acting was positive or say that it wasnt bad. Just about every video review I've seen (about 10 of them) has criticized the lack of voice acting.

You are right, I guess I should rephrase that then. But i personally have yet to see more than 3 people (and these people were commenting on video reviews) that didn't want voice acting which is why I said that. But I have yet to see a video review say that the lack of voice acting was positive or say that it wasnt bad. Just about every video review I've seen (about 10 of them) has criticized the lack of voice acting.

Ah, yes. Thanks for clarifying. I must say, I fullheartedly share your sentiments.

Alright here it is: http://wii.ign.com/articles/119/1195667p1.html

The majority supported voice acting but keeping Link quiet.

Ah, I remember that now. I'd much rather the series' characters - as a whole - remain quiet in future titles. However, if done right, I guess I could settle if other characters in the series received voice roles; just so long as Link remains quiet. If anything, the NPCs and supported cast could use more grunts and phrases, like those seen in The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
As I said in response to all the other oodles of discussions on this topic, no. The best way for us to immerse ourselves in the world as Link is for there to be zero voices telling us what we do. Instead reading silent text does nothing to break that immersion, as we can interpret it any way we can. The cadences of certain voices would make us feel like something was insinuated otherwise, while reading just leaves it plain and simple. Besides, with my experience--albeit limited--of voice acting games, I sometimes couldn't keep up with what the character was saying (a bit of the time he, Ignitus as an example, was supposed to talk very quietly), while with text I can read it, decide how long I should decipher its meaning, and move on without skipping a beat. So many more advantages come with the text as I see it. Even when subtitles are mixed with VA, the voices will seem to direct you in another way.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Oh, the never-ending argument ;)
I don't remember having stated my opinion in a dedicated thread like this one, but here it goes:
I'm 100% for voice acting for other characters and I'm fine either way if Link stays mute or has a voice.
Most of the arguments against voice acting for other characters are usually along the lines of "the game would lose its fantasy feeling!" or "Voice acting has to be very good or else it'll ruin the game for me!". To point one: What's the difference between having the characters talk via text boxes or voices? For me, voice acting is just a natural development that should also reach the Zelda series. I don't let the tradition argument count because many series and genres that started in the 80s where voice acting simply wasn't possible yet have it now. And to point two, the same can be said about gameplay, graphics, story, characters, music and so on, but everyone seems to trust Nintendo in those points, so why not trust them with voice acting? And I could also immerse myself into the game better with voice acting. For example in the Ghirahim scenes it would've been very fitting and adding to his character, instead I was distracted from his gestures and actions by being forced to read text boxes.
And for Link: Many arguments I hear revolve around Link being a "link to the player without personality". I think that while this was true in the 8- and 16-bit games, at least since Wind Waker, Link does have a pre-set personality now. We see many of his emotions via face expressions and other gestures now and we see Link talking (for example to Gepora after Zelda gets kidnapped in the beginning of SS), so voice acting is just another step to add to that.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The Legend of Zelda needs full voice acting. I mean, I can understand why they used the text thing in the earlier games but in this day and age...Really? Voice acting can really enhance the characters of the Legend of Zelda just like it has enhanced characters like Batman, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. It's all about finding the right voice. I don't mind if they keep Link quiet, just give us voices for the characters around us so we can know them better.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
At this point, I say Zelda could use some VAs. Link doesn't have to be voiced (though he should be IMO because he's starting to become a character moreso than he is a link to the game world), but the people around us could definitely use it. Crummy VAs or no, it can only enhance the Zelda experience. It won't be the same, but Zelda isn't supposed to stay the same. Evolution and revolution. In this day and age, voice acting fits both roles for the Zelda franchise.

C

cay19

NO WAY!

I think to add VA to any of the characters is going to lose who they are for me. Link has a voice in my head, as does Zelda if they get this wrong it will detrimental to Zeldadom everywhere! Use your imaginations people, it is how it is has always been done. I for one see no need for a change!

Link has had a voice for a long time. It's just in the form of grunts. Am I the only one that imagines that's the voice Link would use when he talks? It'd be kind of silly for him to have a completely different voice than the one he uses for grunting. How can people imagine his voice to be anything else when he technically already has one?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've been talking against voice acting on several threads, so no, there's no unanimous agreement that Zelda should have voice acting. And I've seen several other people speak up against it. I feel one of the things that makes Zelda Zelda is how all dialogue is written, not spoken.

I not against it, so long as Link stays with his grunting. I mean, I feel like most of us probably have a similar idea of what these characters sound like anyway just from their grunts and mannerisms...however, I would still prefer it to stay as is - text.
It's just been that way since the start and I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom