• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past Opinion?

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
A Link to the Past was one of the first Zelda games I ever played. When I think back to childhood Zelda I think of the gameboy advance version of ALttP and I think of Oracle of Seasons. I played A Link to the Past, got all the items, i even have the official player's guide. Then many years later I actually got into Zelda. Like REEALLY got into Zelda. So I replayed ALttP for the first time. And all i remember thinking was how the hell did I beat this game as a kid?! The difficulty infuriated me, and the whole game seemed tedious and random. I hated it. Then I replayed it again a few months ago. I absolutely loved it. I thought it was one of the most epic Zelda games to date, it was so memorable, and it truly felt like an accomplishment beating it. I had no clue how my opinion could change so drastically, and ALttP is now in my top 5 Zelda games.

What is your opinion on AlttP? Have any other stories similar to this about other Zelda games?

Your story is actually pretty similar to mine with The Wind Waker. It may be hard to believe, but the first time I every played The Wind Waker, it instantly becamse one of my most hated Zelda games. I thought it was stupid looking, I didn't particularly like the characters, I thought the dungeons were bad, etc. The only thing I remember praising it for was its beautifully orchestrated soundtrack. I was exactly like you, thinking that there is no way I'd every think twice about playing this god awful game.

Two years ago my friend and I were playing video games and the topic of Zelda came up in our discussion. We were talking about our favorite games, dungeons, characters, etc. He brought up an interesting point in which he believed that The Wind Waker was one of the hardest games in the series (I still to this day have no clue where he got that idea from). He urged me to play it again so I could get a second look at the difficulty and make a more accurate judgement because at the time I hadn't played the game in several years. Thank god I did.

My second time around was a complete 180 experience compared to my first time playing through the game. It was sincerely one of the most memorable moments of my life beating that game for a second time. Everything I had criticized it for in the past all seemed to make sence now, and they all came to be my most favorite aspects of the game itself. I connected with the characters, the sailing had been the best overworld experience I had ever had, the style of the game didn't bother me as much, even the music seemed better this time around. When I finally beat it, I thought to myself, "What that hell was I thinking? I'm an idiot!" My entire view of that game completley changed my second time around.

So today, The Wind Waker still remains as my favorite game in the entire series. My view has not changed again and I don't think it will. Nintendo will have to pull off nothing short of spectacular in their next Zelda game for me to consider it better then Wind Waker.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
ALTTP was the first game I ever played, so I have a big sentimental/nostalgic attraction to it. It has always been my favorite Zelda game. There's just nothing I can find wrong with it, I love everything about it :D

The difficulty was astonishing when I played through it. I first played it when I was about age 4 or 5, at my uncle's house with my brothers. A few years later, I got my own SNES and borrowed the game. I finally beat it when I was age 9. I brute-forced my way through pretty much the entire game; this was before I had access to the internet, I got stuck for months in Turtle Rock, in one room with chain chomps and a locked door. I also did Misery Mire before the Ice Palace, cause I couldn't figure out the puzzle with the block :P

Needless to say it felt incredible to beat that game for the first time, after literally YEARS of struggling. A few years after that, the GBA version came out and I finished it in 3 days. Nowadays I plow through it in about 2 hours :P

Cfrock

Keep it strong
A Link To The Past was the first game I ever played too :)
I got it when I was 4 years old and fell in love with it instantly. It actually scared me plenty of times. I found it really difficult back then. It wasn't too bad until I got to the Dark World. The Swamp Palace and Skull Woods gave me a really tough time and so did the Ice Palace and Misery Mire. Turtle Rock was an utter nightmare and that boss fight had me stuck for about a week. I was probably trying to get through Ganon's Tower for a month but never once did I get frustrated or want to stop. When I finally finished it, I was so happy. It was one of the most satisfying moments I've ever had playing a game.

I absoloutely love A Link To The Past and it's my thrid favourite Zelda game. The memories I have of it will stay with me forever.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i played it about a year ago on the GBA. really good game. was playing while staying at a friend's so had to rush through a bit to finish it before i left but i still really enjoyed it.

The first game i ever played, and still my personal favorite. OOT has tied it as a favorite because i beat it for the first time around a year ago and love it.

An awesome game (and the first Zelda I ever played). I loved it from the moment I started playing it and it's easily among my favorite games of all time.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
A Link To The Past is an awesome game. I have only played it on a rom and not the actual cartridge, but it I'm sure is the same experience. It definitely revolutionized the gaming industry and it is a most play game for anyone whether you are a Zelda fan or not.

ALttP is one of the best games ever made. It was one of the crowning achievements on a system that defines classic. Many of the greatest games ever made came from the SNES. ALttP laid the foundation for all Zeldas to follow. It was the first Zelda to have a developed story outside of the instruction manual. In Zelda I and II you read the story in the instruction manual then when you pressed START you would drop right into the middle of the game and have to start from there. In ALttP the story is told within the game.

The over world was small but it was packed with content. The duel Dark World/Light World concept created endless exploration possibilities. The Music was PHENOMENAL! The dark world theme still ranks among the best video games songs imo.

The dungeons were challenging and fantastic. And despite being a 16-bit 2D game each dungeon had it's own unique feel to it. It did something that we haven't seen much of recently, it's dungeons had quantity AND quality.

I consider OoT the greatest game ever made, but if someone put ALttP there instead...Well I can't say I would have a problem with that either. All this talking about it has made me feel so nostalgic, I miss my childhood and I miss the 90's :(

O

Octorock_N_Roll

I first played AoL on the NES when I was young, then I tried LoZ at a friend's house. I never got into the series until playing LttP on my own. I was really impressed with the graphics and intricate story and everything, and it wasn't hard as balls like the first NES games were (at least, they were when I was young). Sad to say, it's the last in the series I've ever picked up other than Link's Awakening. I fell off gaming hard around that time. I still have never owned a GBA, N64, GC, or Wii... sigh.

MW7

I'd say that A Link to the Past is the greatest game ever made. It's not quite my favorite though because I grew up with Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. I wish I could have played it when I was younger.

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
A Link to the Past was the first Zelda game I ever played. It is the most amazing game ever! I tried to replay it the other day, but my video audio cord was acting up, so I haven't been able to play it. It is so amazing in it's scope and intensity. The only Zelda game that can compete with it, is Twilight Princess. There is nothing like taking down Agahnim with the Master Sword, and then a few hours later, kicking the crap out of him before you face your final challenge--Ganon. A Link to the Past is one of only a few games in which Link obtains the Triforce in game, and that is awesome. So many things got there start in A Link to the Past, and it is really one of the founding games in the series.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
A friend of mine tried to get me into that game but I only got past the castle escape and lost interest (I finished it later in life though). It's a great game but I prefer Ocarina of Time and the Skyward Sword.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I absolutely love A Link to the Past, while it is not my favorite Zelda game, it is a Zelda game and therefore one of my favorite games of all time. Especially for the SNES. My top games for the SNES in no order are Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Bomberman 2, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario World

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom