• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

(Opinion) What size should a world be in a Zelda game?

I might be in the minority, but I prefer smaller worlds. In all honesty, the bigger worlds in TP and BOTW killed the experience for me. It felt like a chore to get from place to place. In short, it felt like I was really traveling (and dealing with all challenges that come with that) and I didn't like it. Don't get me wrong! I can appreciate a certain amount of realism in a game, but I don't want it to be so realistic it feels like a chore. I want to escape into a video game. I don't want it to be realistic to the point where that mountain is the size of an actual freaking mountain.
Personally, I enjoyed Skyward Sword's smaller, more linear world more than any of the worlds in the other 3D Zeldas. What about you? Do you prefer smaller or bigger worlds? And is there a sweet spot for the size of the world in a Zelda game?

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Big enough to hold the content. Definitely not more. Generally speaking, I'd say that size is generally around the size of MM's overworld. TP's is the absolutely largest that can be justified, which isn't to say TP itself needed that huge of a world.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Take World of Warcraft. Now multiply the total amount of space by four.

That makes a good starting point.

i does not need to be as big as it was in BoTW, a bit smaller would certainly suffice
on the other hand more dungeons or dungeonspace would be more than welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom