• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Opinion on Using Walkthroughs for 100%

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I'm just curious: do you use walkthroughs to complete a Zelda game 100%? And what's your view on someone doing so?

I used a walkthrough in the past to 100% Ocarina of Time. I'm trying to figure out if that might be frowned upon in the general Zelda community, haha. I've actually banned myself from walkthroughs ever since I played through A Link to the Past a year or two ago, but I'm considering using some again to start 100%-ing games like The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I honestly really don't want to go around Hyrule Field searching for Poes, especially since there's no way to keep it nighttime in TP. (And I've already found all the bugs and Heart Containers on my own...)

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
Usually I don't use walkthroughs for 100%. I try my best to 100% each Zelda game, or game in general without using a walkthrough. I find this much more fun. I really dislike walkthrough because they completely take the fun out of the game. It's like in the original Legend of Zelda. Wouldn't it have been fun to try and be the first one to beat the game? You wouldn't even be able to use a walkthrough.

I do occasionally use walkthroughs though, although I rarely do. There are some parts of games where I juts can't seem to figure out what to do anymore. In some Zelda games not all walls look bombable, I'm not going to use all my bombs trying to randomly bomb walls. I do put down a bomb sometime, just because. Yet usually nothing happens. That's when I use a walkthrough just to get some sort of lead on what to do next.

I love watching walkthroughs though. There are many walkthroughs that I'm dying to watch, but I just haven't beaten the game yet, so, like you, I ban myself from it until further notice.

I think you should try to 100% games without walkthroughs until you're completely stuck. That's what walkthroughs are for anyway.

I

ImpaMale

Yeah, I rarely use walkthroughs. I need to be stuck for a long time in a game before I'm going to use one of those.

I use the walkthroughs is something frustrates me to high heaven but it usually doesn't come to that. I try not to use guide for anything but i do suck at trying to find heart pieces so i will use a walk through to find some of them after i have completed the game. =]

Dan

Only for Majora's mask duel to the time limit. Often I'll try to play most of the game without aid.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I tend to avoid walkthroughs. I am still disappointed in myself for having to use one on Twilight Princes. To be fair though it was on the stupid puzzle right before you get the Master Sword. Me and my brother spent about 2 hours trying to figure it out, before I finally gave in and checked Zelda Dungeon for help.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
I don't use Walkthroughs for beating the game, but for 100%ing the game of course I use a walkthrough! Now I know some people 100% without a Walkthrough but I really do not have that much time on my hands. I only use ZeldaDungeon Video Walkthroughs though, and like I said I only use them for 100%. I also think that Mases and Caleb put a lot of time into those, and I enjoy all the information they provide on the game, there are some things that are so obscure I would have never known! As you can see all the 100%'s that i've done, Zelda Dungeon has a Video Walkthrough for that game, I will admit it and i'm not ashamed of it. =)
This whole website was built apon walkthroughs, and I think Walkthrough's are fine, use them as much as you want, it's your life.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Eh, if you're stuck and just can't figure something out, use a walkthrough. Feeling lazy? Use a walkthrough. Tired? use a walkthough! There's no shame in using one, unless you're recording a supposed blind run and it appears in the video that you know where everything is -- it is no longer "blind", and you're not doing what you said you're doing.

For collecting things like dem golden Skulltulas, all 24 masks in MM, or maybe even the Poe Souls in TP, I'd say all of those warrant a walkthrough. Sometimes, you may have looked "everywhere" but forgot that one critical place without even knowing it. A walkthrough is justified. Yes, I use walkthroughs for collecting sidequests.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
For collecting things like dem golden Skulltulas, all 24 masks in MM, or maybe even the Poe Souls in TP, I'd say all of those warrant a walkthrough. Sometimes, you may have looked "everywhere" but forgot that one critical place without even knowing it. A walkthrough is justified. Yes, I use walkthroughs for collecting sidequests.

Everything I was going to say was proficiently said here. I essentially avoid walkthoughs for the main quest, but mostly for tough and lengthy fetch quests.

If I can get through the game without a walkthrough I will. Like OOT I don't remember using a walkthrough much or at all but with the older ones I use a walkthrough to find the temples then usually go through them myself and only use them if I need help. In TP I used a walkthrough for all the Poes and Bugs because I was not running around everywhere to look for them. So I don't frown on it at all. If you need the help use it if you don't don't/

I have absolutely no shame about using a walkthrough if I'm stuck. I'm not sure why other people would ever have a problem with someone else doing that in their own game. Also as far as 100% goes, I find it very hard to believe people who say they have seen and done every single thing in a Zelda game without any assistance whatsoever. Ultimately it's your own time & money being spent on the game, if you're stuck and need a guide or want to do everything there is to do in the game to get the most out of it, more power to you.

I only use them in a crisis. Like if I was stuck, for ex. Ghirahim (which I did) then I'd jump onto the iPad and search it up on Zelda Dungeon walkthroughs :D

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't think there's anything wrong with using a walkthrough... if you get stuck why not? I wouldn't use the walkthrough to beat the whole game though... just maybe the parts I had trouble with.

** i should say I had to use a walkthrough on my first couple of runs through the water temple in OoT. I can do it without one now but it still takes me ages because I hate the water temple and have no patience for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom