• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time OoT; Tad Bit Over-rated?

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
Does it ever bother you that people are always saying what a great game Ocarina of Time is? Believe me, I've played it and it is a great game, but people need to understand that we got the message.. five(+) years ago.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Of course OoT is overrated, it's like the best game in existence almost (99/100 on Metacritic, get better than that I'm begging you). The reason why OoT is such a good game is because it did what it did back then. Nowadays, it seems as if games are ripping from concepts used way back in the 80's and the 90's. OoT itself was pretty much a copy paste job from ALttP, except in 3D and with slight story changes.

I'm not hurt that people hail the game as the best, because I personally do anyway. It's amazing, that's all really. Whatever it did, it did perfectly in my opinion. Later games like TWW, TP and SS are good games too, but no where near close to OoT.

Link8150

The 8150th Link
Ocarina of Time is definitely the most overrated Zelda game, with its only competition being A Link to the Past. A lot of people say OoT is such a great game because of how revolutionary it was, but if you ask me games should not be rated by how revolutionary they are. When saying which games are the best there should be three different categories, favorite, best, and most important. For me Ocarina of Time would get most important Zelda game, Majora's Mask would get favorite Zelda game, and Skyward Sword would get best.

Ganondork

goo
I would never really call it overrated because of just how good it was back then. Now, I personally have not found the enjoyment in it as other people have (A Link to the Past is, and always will be my favorite), maybe because I never beat it, or maybe because I found it was lacking. I see no reason why it shouldn't be as highly praised as it is; I'm guessing people are going to praise Skyward Sword just as highly down the road - at least in my opinion. I understand that it's been a huge deal and everyone understands how good it is, but you have to understand not everyone has played the game just yet. I've owned the game for three years and I'm only at the Spirit Temple, imagine where others might be.

As far as the overall hype goes, it's because the game has gotten such high ratings that it's unbelievable. I don't think I've ever seen a game get rated higher. To achieve such a rank, the amount of praise that it still received is well-deserved. For long-time Zelda fans it might be annoying - I've only been a Zelda fan for six years, and I'm tired of hearing its constant hype - but that doesn't make it annoying for newcomers. You have to keep in mind that there are still new fans coming in (I started Zelda with Twilight Princess and decided to buy every Zelda there is) that might want to give the game a try. This hype could be very beneficial to these people since they'll know it's worth paying for.

Overall Ocarina of Time is a great game. I don't think it's overrated, only because it earned all of this praise through great gameplay, good graphics (in its time) and an amazing story.

MW7

Well for me OOT is still the greatest game ever made (Majora's Mask being my favorite though) so by definition it can't be overrated. IMO it's #1 so it can't be rated any higher. Just my opinion, but yeah, with it being 13 years ago people should probably stop bringing it up so often.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
I can see why you would think this, since so many people love it so much. It's my favorite Zelda, and I don't think it's overrated. It deserves all of those epic reviews!

I do think that Ocarina of Time is overrated. It was a good game for 1998, but now in 2011(almost 2012) some parts of the game don't hold up so well.

I feel that Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are better games. And I feel that they have surpass OOT.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It is not overrated. Do I hear people talking about it all the time? NO. It's all COD these days. Even if people did talk about it as much as you make out, it would still not be overrrated. It is an excellent game, the best ever made, it did what nothing had done before and changed the way games were. People still talk about Einstein for his theories, even though new scientists have improved upon them. This is because he was the one who made such a big impact. The same principle applies for OOT. It made the impact. It gets remembered. Simple.

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
It is not overrated. Do I hear people talking about it all the time? NO. It's all COD these days. Even if people did talk about it as much as you make out, it would still not be overrrated. It is an excellent game, the best ever made, it did what nothing had done before and changed the way games were. People still talk about Einstein for his theories, even though new scientists have improved upon them. This is because he was the one who made such a big impact. The same principle applies for OOT. It made the impact. It gets remembered. Simple.

OOT is being talked about constantly. Where have you been for the past 10 years?

Even though OoT is my first Zelda game, it isn't my favorite. I kinda get annoyed that people only say that its the best mainly because it was the first 3-D Zelda game and/or they want to be part of the bandwagon and say its the best video game ever created. To answer your question, yes, OoT is overrated.

I do think that Ocarina of Time is overrated. It was a good game for 1998, but now in 2011(almost 2012) some parts of the game don't hold up so well.

I feel that Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are better games. And I feel that they have surpass OOT.

For its time, there was no game on par with Ocarina of Time. Stop comparing an older game to more recent releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom