• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT Sages

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Ocarina of Time Spoilers:

So, as much as I like OoT, I've always been confused on how exactly the Sages were awakened. Specifically, what were the sages doing in the seven year gap? They clearly all haven't been in their respective temples the whole seven years, right?

For example, Sheik says he (or she...) rescued Ruto from the Ice, and then she went to the Water Temple. Has Ruto really been in the Water Temple for seven years, or did this happen somewhat recently?

Mido blocks Link's path at first, saying Saria told him to allow no one to go any further. Again, has Saria been gone for seven years with Mido blocking the path, or did this happen more recently?

Darunia is just outside the boss' room when Link runs into him, and nearly all the Gorons are imprisoned. Same question here: Have the Gorons been imprisoned, and has Darunia been standing in front of the Boss' Door that long ?

Sheik said Impa went to reseal Bongo-Bongo in the Shadow Temple, and it sounds like this is a somewhat new development after Bongo-Bongo attacked the village. What was Impa doing beforehand?

Nabooru is the only Sage that seems to have logically been in her temple for the whole seven years. The last time we saw her seven years earlier, she had been kidnapped by Twinrova, and she's still being held by them seven years later.

Are these logical questions, haha or am I over thinking things here? :)

Also, I heard a theory once that the Sages actually all died at some point before they were awakened. Could that play a role into some of their disappearances?

I do not think the Sages died before they were awakened, it dosen't seem logical. I believe they were out living their lives during the 7 year gap, considering they didn't know they were sages yet.

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
These are very logical questions, and this is something that Nintendo never reveals. I feel like Nintendo really needs to go more in-depth in their Zelda games. I know they want to create mystery, but they really should answer questions like these.

Well I think the reason so many of the future sages are closely involved with their temples is the fact that they are driven to that temple by fate. For instance, Saria loved to spend time in the Sacred Forest Meadow and talk to the spirits of the Forest Temple. When the Temple is cursed she is driven by fate to try and protect it. She and the other sages may not have even known what was driving them (though in the cases of Darunia and Ruto they were saving their respective races).

After Link defeated the curses on the Temple the sages 'awakened' by realizing who they were and their fate. Yes the concept is kind of nebulous but I think that is the best way to put it.

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
I do not think the Sages died before they were awakened, it dosen't seem logical.

I think the theory behind it is that the Sages aren't actually alive when you "awaken" them, but rather spirits or ghosts of their former mortal selves. Nothing would seemingly contradict this, and in some cases it's one of the more logical conclusions.

Take Darunia for example: he entered the Boss Room, and then he's no where in site when you enter. He either escaped, hide somewhere in the room while you fought (which seems really unlikely), or dead trying to kill Volvagia.

You fought Nabooru right before you killed Twinrova- could she have die from you wounds you gave her?

Also explains why the five of them celebrated on the top of Death Mountain, as opposed to with everyone else in Lon Lon Ranch. They were ghosts of their former selves, so they couldn't just pop in.

It's a rather morbid theory, but just a thought. :)

It was the destiny of the sages to awaken upon Ganondorf's entrance into the Temple of Time and stealing part of the power of the Triforce for himself. The Sacred Realm was threatened and yet another prophecy was fulfilled just as Link was the child destined to ring peace to the land of Hyrule.

There is substantial evidence for this:

"I am Rauru, one of the Ancient Sages...Ages ago, we ancient Sages built the Temple of Time to protect the entrance to the Sacred Realm..."

Also, I agree with this:

Seth said:
Well I think the reason so many of the future sages are closely involved with their temples is the fact that they are driven to that temple by fate. For instance, Saria loved to spend time in the Sacred Forest Meadow and talk to the spirits of the Forest Temple. When the Temple is cursed she is driven by fate to try and protect it. She and the other sages may not have even known what was driving them (though in the cases of Darunia and Ruto they were saving their respective races).

It's also significant to point out that each sage represents a different race from Hyrule which is clearly symbolic in that only true unity could be enough to purge the land of its dark times.

I'm also assuming that they just lived their lives and until that mark of 7 years was when they've "awaken" as sages to these temples.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Ocarina of Time was created when games really didn't explain themselves to too much extent. The details such as how they awakened or how long they were in a place aren't exactly necessary so they were never fully explained.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom