• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OOT - Owl Ordeal

Re-played ocarina of time, and i need to tell you about my “owl ordeal”. As you know, the owl talks way too much and takes way too long telling you things you already know. Also, this was the original OOT on the wii virtual console, so you couldn’t speed up the text either. Anyway, on my way up zora’s river, the owl was there, spoke to me, and took ages as usual. Then he took ages to fly off. After that I made my way up the river. I tried to get a heart piece with a cuckoo but failed, and as a result i had to get taken back down by the river to reset it all. On my way back, the owl was there AGAIN. He said exactly the same thing as last time, with no option to skip through it, taking ages again. Then, i went onto the next screen back to hyrule field, then turned around and headed for the river again to re-attempt the heart piece. As I was re-entering the river, the owl was there AGAIN. He spoke to me, taking ages, no option to skip, and took all day to fly off. Finally, after he was gone I made my way up the river again to attempt the heart piece again. I failed once again, got taken back down the river, and on my way back the owl was there AGAIN. Spoke to me and took ages. Then i went to the next screen to hyrule field, turned around, and entered zora’s river again. As you will guess, the owl was there to greet me yet again. Taking ages, with the added annoyance of taking ages to fly off. This all happened a couple of times until i eventually got the heartpiece. Nightmare.

MW7

I'm pretty sure you can speed through the owl's text by holding b (N64 controls). The first line of text is slow, but then everything else flies by really quickly. I know this is true for the N64 so hopefully they didn't screw it up on the virtual console (if you can go through text quickly on virtual console, I'd guess it would be the same button as the sword since that's what b is on the N64). Still the fact that you have to talk to the owl at all, let alone multiple times if you re-enter the area, is torture. I feel for you.

You can speed through text on the virtual console version, however, this only applies to certain text, which is quite odd. Much text you can indeed speed through, but some examples of text you cannot speed through are: the owl, navi's 'shadow monsters on the ceiling' advice, purchasing things from shops. This is for the virtual console anyway. You might be correct about the N64, I haven't played on an N64 in years.

Reactions: MW7

MW7

That's really bizarre. For N64 the owl's dialogue is definitely one of the kinds of text you can speed up. I played it last week. What a terrible design flaw for the virtual console version.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
Idk, you may be right. Think about it. He follows you everywhere and then when you pass out he watches you sleep for 7 years... like. A bit creepy old man watch a kid sleep for 7 years. Followed YL around as an owl. It's smelling pretty fishy (and it ain't the Zora).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom