• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT Last Cut-Scene Continuity Error

Not sure if this has been discussed, but The Door of Time is open before Zelda flees Hyrule in the final cut-scene during OoT. I'm going to post my opinion, but what do you guys think: Oversight, or implication by the devs?

Personally, I think it was intentional. The devs might even be hinting at it in MM when Zelda has to reteach the Song of Time to Link, but this time as a parting gift rather than an instruction to open the DoT. It would lead into the possibility to all three timelines having their own history. The adult timeline following the events directly pertaining OoT, Ganon touches the Triforce. The child timeline where Link touches the Triforce. And the downfall timeline where Zelda touches the triforce. <<<<big speculation here btw.

First time poster btw, long time theorist. Thanks!

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
do you mean when link is back to his young self and navi leaves him? b/c I'd imagine its open so that link can actually leave the place, even though it's before he first even entered the temple of time

Maybe it was left open because the Triforce of Courage is still in his possession, and the purpose of the Door of Time was to prevent people from entering the Sacred Realm to get the Triforce. The Triforce in A Link Between Worlds was shown to literally transcend dimensions, so it wouldn't be too far a stretch to assume it can transcend time as well.
I've been running that through my head too. Another question I like to ask is if the transcendant properties of the triforce would allow itself to recreate itself using only one piece. The Triforce of power and wisdom might be stuck in the adult timeline with ganondorf and zelda, but if Link goes back with the Triforce of Courage, could he save that time from crumbling by rebuilding the Triforce from the Triforce of courage.

The way I saw it was that the existing Triforce in the Child Timeline split due to Link's paradoxically having the Triforce of Courage in his possession upon his return to the past, and perhaps the essence of the existing Triforce of Courage just combined with the one in his possession. I don't know if the Triforce can be quantified per se, but it's not the first time that one of its pieces have been fragmented into even smaller pieces, to then be combined again. But I guess that division of the Triforce of Courage from the other pieces, if it did join up with its Adult Timeline counterpart, would've caused for the Triforces of Wisdom and Power to then seek out those who should bear them, as happened in Ocarina of TIme when Ganondorf claimed the Triforce of Power.

But I've not considered that in the case of the Adult Timeline, it would have been left without the Triforce of Courage altogether, so maybe you make a good point that it may have had to regenerate it somehow. It's probably why Link in the Wind Waker wasn't technically a hero chosen by the Triforce of Courage either, he had to seek it out.

The way I saw it was that the existing Triforce in the Child Timeline split due to Link's paradoxically having the Triforce of Courage in his possession upon his return to the past, and perhaps the essence of the existing Triforce of Courage just combined with the one in his possession. I don't know if the Triforce can be quantified per se, but it's not the first time that one of its pieces have been fragmented into even smaller pieces, to then be combined again. But I guess that division of the Triforce of Courage from the other pieces, if it did join up with its Adult Timeline counterpart, would've caused for the Triforces of Wisdom and Power to then seek out those who should bear them, as happened in Ocarina of TIme when Ganondorf claimed the Triforce of Power.

But I've not considered that in the case of the Adult Timeline, it would have been left without the Triforce of Courage altogether, so maybe you make a good point that it may have had to regenerate it somehow. It's probably why Link in the Wind Waker wasn't technically a hero chosen by the Triforce of Courage either, he had to seek it out.
Yes, yes it can, and you're approaching my over-arching Zelda Theory. The Triforce, and it's corresponding Relics, can double in power because... Hold my beer but, the save files are canon in the Legend of Zelda. It's the reason why the Skyward Sword doubles in power on Hero mode. It's why Four Swords Adventures ALttP Link fails by entering the Pyramid of Power from the wrong entrance. It's why Link knows ancient Hylians in the WW. It's why Tatl knows what Tael is about to say in MM HD. It's why the Oracle games have a different outcome when save files are linked. And It's most likely that Master's Quest is canon. To put it shortly, I think we are the Hero's spirit. We posses the next Hero for the game, and we save scum the hell out of Link, and that's canon to the franchise as a whole.

Regardless, back to the point of the adult timeline not having a triforce of courage. Some thoughts I had on that is that if I'm right and pieces of the Triforce can transcend itself as a whole (there is implication of this in ALBW [and Hyrule Warriors] where link can best aTriforce of power+wisdom wielding Yuga while only having the Triforce of courage) then that could also mean that Zelda rebuilt Hyrule using the Triforce of Wisdom which might explain it's toon appearance.

Personally, I think it was intentional. The devs might even be hinting at it in MM when Zelda has to reteach the Song of Time to Link, but this time as a parting gift rather than an instruction to open the DoT. It would lead into the possibility to all three timelines having their own history. The adult timeline following the events directly pertaining OoT, Ganon touches the Triforce. The child timeline where Link touches the Triforce. And the downfall timeline where Zelda touches the triforce. <<<<big speculation here btw.
Rauru probably built a failsafe in case someone got trapped inside the chamber. If you watch the lighting after Link leaves, it appears as though the door closes behind him.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This particular point leads to dead end theorizing. Link opened the Door of Time after the King was already assasinated, and Zelda departed the castle with Impa. The cutscene in question shows Link in the sword chamber, but the door is open already, indicating he was sent back to a point where the worst case already happened. The actual plot contradicts this though, because he is able to meet Zelda in the courtyard, and according to Hyrule Historia, the king is still alive.

It's a moment where suspension of disbelief has to come into play. Any theory on the matter is grasping at straws. They made a mistake with gameplay not matching plot, and stuff like that happens.

If it was intentional, that is just bad writing.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I've been running that through my head too. Another question I like to ask is if the transcendant properties of the triforce would allow itself to recreate itself using only one piece. The Triforce of power and wisdom might be stuck in the adult timeline with ganondorf and zelda, but if Link goes back with the Triforce of Courage, could he save that time from crumbling by rebuilding the Triforce from the Triforce of courage.
As I recall, when Link went to the CT he still had his triforce piece with him that he got from the AT. I believe the Hyrule Historia explains that his having the Triforce of Courage triggered in a reaction within the Sacred Realm, releasing the other two triforce pieces. That's how Zelda got her piece, and how Ganondorf was able to survive his execution. I dont know what became of the CT's Triforce of Courage, perhaps ot merged with Link's or is just floating in the Sacred realm somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom