• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time OoT Hidden Gossip Stone

bellum

Gamer since age 2
hmm I would've never thought of that, Darklink, so are you trying to say Link is really Peter Pan:O.But y'know the ending I get because they did leave the forest just for the credits and they didn't die, so maybe the deku tree did say that they'd die but meaning die of old age :hmm:.Hmm, yeah now that I think about it it does seem like they did have Peter Pan in mind while thinking up the kokiri's.

Not that he is Peter Pan, but strongly based off of him. Apparently, many of the stories in Zelda are also based off of Peter Pan's stories. Just like in the movie "Hook", Peter talks about how when he was a child, he still missed his mother and father, so he would fly home to see them every so often. At least until one night he flew there and seen they had another baby. Eventually he flew back, met a girl, and decided to stay, but those times when he was randomly flying back to see his mom didn't cause him to rapidly age and die, or die from anything else. But it would be obvious that while gone he did age somewhat, probably just at a normal pace as he would have in real time.

Kybyrian

I found this right away in the game because I tended to mess around a lot in the game, especially around the Deku Tree area.

Why they put it there where it's unseen and usually unreached I don't know, and pretty interesting what it says. Perhaps it's talking about Link, because after all, you can't talk to it like that until you get the Mask of Truth, which is obtained outside of the Kokiri Forest, so it's possible.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Actually, I did find it when I first played it, but I never bothered to read it, and had since completely forgotten about it. My friends tell me I should be a video game tester. lol I'm the guy who usually has 6 hearts before the first dungeon. ;) I try anything and everything when it comes to Zelda.

Anyway, as to what it means? Perhaps it means nothing. Does anyone know what it says before Link leaves the forest? The guy was obviously wearing a mask, so he'd already left the forest. I know that Link's not a Kokiri, but could it be referring to him? Or do you think it was just an Easter Egg or part of a removed plot?

Amelie

Air Dancer
I remember finding the first stone but I dont remember if I found the second one. I might have but I cant be sure. My N64 is not working right now but if it was I would go talk to those stones ^^

It does seem like it could be a easter egg but they do give some fun information ^^

bellum

Gamer since age 2
I'm gonna og find it and the stone is kinda true, really true. Where is the sacred realm, not in kokiri village and they say no kokiri can leave the village.ALthough Saria is the sage and she kinda lives in the sacred realm, if that is true.She would be the kokiri that left the forest and is still living.Also I never found it on my first try, I never even heard about it untill this thread popped on the forums, so I'm glad it's here and I"m going to read them both.

I'm gonna og find it and the stone is kinda true, really true. Where is the sacred realm, not in kokiri village and they say no kokiri can leave the village.ALthough Saria is the sage and she kinda lives in the sacred realm, if that is true.She would be the kokiri that left the forest and is still living.Also I never found it on my first try, I never even heard about it untill this thread popped on the forums, so I'm glad it's here and I"m going to read them both.

The only problem with that, well the only two problems, is that

1.) Since Saria is a sage, she's not going to die by going to the Sacred Realm. Her being a sage overrules the fact that she was born a Kokiri. and

2.) The video says "he" is still alive. So it must be a male Kokiri

The only Kokiri I know that actually left the forest was Mido. He went into the Lost Woods in the future time. But you can read the stone before going into the future, so that rules him out as well.

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
Assuming that them leaving the forest is deadly, they never come out and tell us why it happens just that it happens. Of course that doesn't necessarily stop us from theorizing about it.

Personally I like to think of them as a regular plant: Certain plants need conditions to survive and since they are basically "forest people", it's possible that anywhere else outside of their natural habitat it's just impossible for them to survive. Although I don't really think Saria being a sage supercedes her Kokiri roots, just simply where she's at. I'm assuming that the sage realm is quite the holy place, basically a place where they are safe from "worldly" harm.

Another point that I think I saw mentioned in this thread, or in the podcast earlier tonight, is maybe the Deku Tree lied to them in order to keep them within the protective boundaries of the forest. This is possible, but it doesn't much explain them going out to Lon Lon Ranch during the final credits. I find it very hard to believe that the Kokiri's would so easily be convinced otherwise. It was their beloved guardian whom told them not to leave the forest, I just don't see them sweeping that under the rug just to attend a party.

Which leads to my next point: Game developers are not perfect. I think for the sake of having a ending scene which included pivotal characters through out the game, they added in the children.

I also don't think there is much mystery to who the gossip stone is referring to. I'm sure in such a small community, word got out quickly that Link left the forest. Someone whom they have lived with leaving would have to be a huge deal so of course a Gossip Stone near the Deku Tree would pick up on such scandalous news.

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
Assuming that them leaving the forest is deadly, they never come out and tell us why it happens just that it happens. Of course that doesn't necessarily stop us from theorizing about it.

Personally I like to think of them as a regular plant: Certain plants need conditions to survive and since they are basically "forest people", it's possible that anywhere else outside of their natural habitat it's just impossible for them to survive. Although I don't really think Saria being a sage supercedes her Kokiri roots, just simply where she's at. I'm assuming that the sage realm is quite the holy place, basically a place where they are safe from "worldly" harm.

Another point that I think I saw mentioned in this thread, or in the podcast earlier tonight, is maybe the Deku Tree lied to them in order to keep them within the protective boundaries of the forest. This is possible, but it doesn't much explain them going out to Lon Lon Ranch during the final credits. I find it very hard to believe that the Kokiri's would so easily be convinced otherwise. It was their beloved guardian whom told them not to leave the forest, I just don't see them sweeping that under the rug just to attend a party.

Which leads to my next point: Game developers are not perfect. I think for the sake of having a ending scene which included pivotal characters through out the game, they added in the children.

I also don't think there is much mystery to who the gossip stone is referring to. I'm sure in such a small community, word got out quickly that Link left the forest. Someone whom they have lived with leaving would have to be a huge deal so of course a Gossip Stone near the Deku Tree would pick up on such scandalous news.

...You know, I never thought of that...You just might be right...plus, though I know this probably doesn't matter, in WW, the Kokiri become little plant things like Makar anyways...which means that this would make sense...even though the plant thing was just an example...

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
Not that he is Peter Pan, but strongly based off of him. Apparently, many of the stories in Zelda are also based off of Peter Pan's stories. Just like in the movie "Hook", Peter talks about how when he was a child, he still missed his mother and father, so he would fly home to see them every so often. At least until one night he flew there and seen they had another baby. Eventually he flew back, met a girl, and decided to stay, but those times when he was randomly flying back to see his mom didn't cause him to rapidly age and die, or die from anything else. But it would be obvious that while gone he did age somewhat, probably just at a normal pace as he would have in real time.

I have to disagree here. I find very little similarity between Link and Peter Pan. Wearing green is just coincidence. Its clear Nintendo was going for a very medieval feeling for Zelda, and green tunics were the norm then. And Link having a fairy is also coincidence, since fairies were long established as part of everyday life in Hyrule before Link got his own. And so far, he only got a fairy companion in 3 of the games. Most of the time, he keeps them in bottles.

I have to disagree here. I find very little similarity between Link and Peter Pan. Wearing green is just coincidence. Its clear Nintendo was going for a very medieval feeling for Zelda, and green tunics were the norm then. And Link having a fairy is also coincidence, since fairies were long established as part of everyday life in Hyrule before Link got his own. And so far, he only got a fairy companion in 3 of the games. Most of the time, he keeps them in bottles.

Those are similarities though. Not saying that they actually had the story in mind and wrote right by the book, but it wouldn't be a big surprise if the creators had the story of Peter Pan in mind while making some of the earlier games, especially Ocarina of Time. Whether or not tunics and fairies were associated with Medieval times isn't really that important. The thing is Link had a fairy, Peter had one. Kokiris apparently do not age in the forest, Lost Boys do not age in Neverland. Link battles his shadow, also known as Dark Link; Peter also battles his shadow, in a different way, by chasing it and trying to join it with him. Basically, both have trouble out of their shadow. I don't see how that is not considered similar.

Last edited:
B

blackmoon

I think it's a white lie the Deku Tree told the Kokiri to keep them safe.

The Koroks could leave the forest in TWW...

And if the Deku Tree could change them so they could survive outside the forest, why wouldn't he do so earlier? He loves his Kokiri children, he doesn't want them to die if they do something silly!

Chris

It has been awhile...
I have never found this stone or even heard about it before. I have never really cared what the Gossip stones say, but this one is kinda obvious. This one is just saying that a Kokiri left the forest and lives, A.K.A Link. Though Link was never a Kokiri, other Kokiri heard that he was a kokiri and the gossip stone heard that. Hence the phrase "I overheard this..." Since the gossip stone overheard it and the gossip stone can only hear other Kokiri (Consider it's location) it would only hear what the Kokiri know. That all leads up to the Kokiri only think that Link is one of them, meaning that the gossip stone heard wrong.

I tried to stay on topic but I think I may have stayed a bit.

I just find it ironic, as well as funny, because if it talks about a Kokiri who survived going out of the forest and that 'Kokiri' turns out to be Link, then the stone only knows when you come in one piece back.

The first time I read that I thought he was making fun of me xD

Zarom

The King
It wasn't a lie when the Deku Tree said that when the Kokiri leaves the forest, they would die. He meant by that they will eventually grow up, and then, die. That also explains why Mido is in Lon Lon Ranch in the credits. He could leave the forest, but he stays so shortly in LLR that it doesn't change things much. :)

And the Lost Woods ARE part of the forest, since Saria go into the Lost Woods, seven years passed, and she stays young. Even if the Kokiris REALLY die if they leave the forest, Mido and Saria didn't die, so it's part of the forest. :)

EDIT:Another thing I tought of. Maybe it references to Fado, the wind sage in WW? To become a sage, maybe he has left the forest some day. And what about the hat he's wearing? It kind of look like Link, no? (But I know he's not Link.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom