• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time OoT Hidden Gossip Stone

Here's a video of the hidden gossip stone in OoT. Without watching this video or just simply messing around, it would be virtually impossible to find out about. I myself didn't even know of its existance until a couple of days ago when I came across the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUvi4I0ee6Q

This brings a lot of questions into play for me. Questions like, was the stone originally obtainable? Did Nintendo intend on actually making it hard to get to? If so, why?

Judging by what the Gossip Stone actually tells you, my take on it is that it is one of the earlier things included within the game that Nintendo decided to get rid of, and done so by just hiding the Gossip Stone where its at. Nintendo could have possibly planned on including a Kokiri leaving the forest, either for Link to go and find or to help him in some way. One thing about it is that it acts as if leaving the Kokiri Forest would actually cause a Kokiri to die, which was talked about in another forum just recently, but apparently disproven by the fact that there are Kokiri, such as Mido, present at the end of the game in Lon Lon Ranch.

Im curious to see anyone else's opinion as well, and if they had found this stone yet.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I used to explore everywhere when I first got this game, and I did stumble across this stone. Never bothered to read the message though. That's pretty interesting. I'm guessing they did that as sort of an easter egg.

Well, seeing as you could only talk to this Gossip Stone after having left the Kokiri Forest, my guess would be it's simply referring to Link. I mean, everyone thought he was a Kokiri, and the Gossip Stone could have 'overheard' other Kokiri talking about Link leaving. Nintendo probably either forgot about it (which would be pretty darn funny, in my opinion), or they simply decided they had no need of it but left it as an Easter Egg.

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
Well, I posted a thread about that (how the Kokiri can be at Lon Lon ranch if they can't leave the forest). Someone said (I think) that in the game, they never tell us that the Kokiri die if they leave, that maybe the were talking about Ganondorf possibly attacking them or something, but I think this proves that they are not supposed to leave because they would die. The Kokiri taht left and is still alive must be Link (although we know that he's actually a Hylian):)

Well, I posted a thread about that (how the Kokiri can be at Lon Lon ranch if they can't leave the forest). Someone said (I think) that in the game, they never tell us that the Kokiri die if they leave, that maybe the were talking about Ganondorf possibly attacking them or something, but I think this proves that they are not supposed to leave because they would die. The Kokiri taht left and is still alive must be Link (although we know that he's actually a Hylian):)

Yeah, it might prove it if it were more accessible. Most of the gossip stones in the game are clearly lain out an accessible. This one, on the other hand, is pretty secluded. Thats what I think that the idea that the Kokiri would actually die upon leavin the forest with no other reason or interfearance, was scrapped.

The end scene clearly shows that the Kokiri can leave the forest, and that the Zoras do not have to have constant water to survive. The first thing I thought when I saw the video was that maybe they had included a Kokiri child as part of another storyline or quest in the game. I don't remember any Kokiri being anywhere else besides the forest, excluding the ending scene, so I would think that idea was changed.

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
...ugh...have none of you realized?...no one? :facepalm: By if they leave the forest, they die, it means if they leave the forest, they will get older, and eventually die! How long was link in the forest? who knows? He probably stayed the same age because of the forest. and the kokiri where all the same age, except for Saria, because they stayed in the forest. Saria got older because she would go to the lost woods, which did not count as part of the forest. Look, sorry that was really off topic, but I just thought you all should know.

I found that stone ages ago (although I didn't have the Mask of Truth at the time,) and I didn't find it all that hard to find...

I think it's just referring to Link himself. Like someone said earlier, you can't hear what it says until after you've left the Kokiri Forest, and it was evident in the future that the Kokiri, or at least Mido, were definitely talking about him after he left.

...ugh...have none of you realized?...no one? By if they leave the forest, they die, it means if they leave the forest, they will get older, and eventually die! How long was link in the forest? who knows? He probably stayed the same age because of the forest. and the kokiri where all the same age, except for Saria, because they stayed in the forest. Saria got older because she would go to the lost woods, which did not count as part of the forest. Look, sorry that was really off topic, but I just thought you all should know.
There is no proof supporting that, though it is an interesting thought. Link was only in the forest for a few years, though. He was a Hylian, not a Kokiri.

Saria never got older. She stayed the same age like the rest of the Kokiri. The Lost Woods is part of the Kokiri Forest.

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
I found that stone ages ago (although I didn't have the Mask of Truth at the time,) and I didn't find it all that hard to find...

I think it's just referring to Link himself. Like someone said earlier, you can't hear what it says until after you've left the Kokiri Forest, and it was evident in the future that the Kokiri, or at least Mido, were definitely talking about him after he left.

There is no proof supporting that, though it is an interesting thought. Link was only in the forest for a few years, though. He was a Hylian, not a Kokiri.

Saria never got older. She stayed the same age like the rest of the Kokiri. The Lost Woods is part of the Kokiri Forest.

...but...unless I am suddenly insane, and if memory serves me correctly (and it usually does), Saria is about your age when she becomes sage, and is not the age of the rest of the kokiris...o_O...and I know Link is not a kokiri. I just thought it might have to do something with the forest itself. Plus, what I meant about the lost woods was that it does not work like the rest of the forest. so it probably would not count.

...but...unless I am suddenly insane, and if memory serves me correctly (and it usually does), Saria is about your age when she becomes sage, and is not the age of the rest of the kokiris...o_O...and I know Link is not a kokiri. I just thought it might have to do something with the forest itself. Plus, what I meant about the lost woods was that it does not work like the rest of the forest. so it probably would not count.
Saria is definitely not Link's age. She's still a little girl, the same as she was when Link left the forest.

Well, I suppose you could be right there... after all, in the trading sequence, it suggests that people who get lost in the Lost Woods turn into Stalfos... One thing though, is that if I'm not mistaken, the Lost Woods actually surround the Kokiri Forest...

Last edited:

Trentino

Modern Day Warrior
I found this one already, but I'm not sure why nintendo put it in. It might talk about link or mabey its supposed to base of the end of the game. Or mabey its the guy who blocks the way to the deku tree because he disapears when you talk to him

bellum

Gamer since age 2
...ugh...have none of you realized?...no one? :facepalm: By if they leave the forest, they die, it means if they leave the forest, they will get older, and eventually die! How long was link in the forest? who knows? He probably stayed the same age because of the forest. and the kokiri where all the same age, except for Saria, because they stayed in the forest. Saria got older because she would go to the lost woods, which did not count as part of the forest. Look, sorry that was really off topic, but I just thought you all should know.
have you realized that saria is not just a kokiri, thus she is also a sage.ALso why would she disobey the deku tree and leave the forest.well you could find mido in the lost woods too, and I know he wouldn't disobey the deku tree either linkmaster so what I"m trying to say is the lost woods is
part of the kokiri forest, mostly beacause of the fact that the kokiri Anyways I never found that hidden gossip stone.

Last edited:

Linkmaster

Die Hard Zelda Fan
have you realized that saria is not just a kokiri, thus she is also a sage.ALso why would she disobey the deku tree and leave the forest.well you could find mido in the lost woods too, and I know he wouldn't disobey the deku tree either linkmaster so what I"m trying to say is the lost woods is
part of the kokiri forest, mostly beacause of the fact that the kokiri Anyways I never found that hidden gossip stone.

...Axle already grilled me for this one Bellum, no need to reiterate. So I am not going to argue with you over this, because I already did with Axle. Once = enough. :D
P.S. I know who Saria is and what the Kokiri are.

I found this one already, but I'm not sure why nintendo put it in. It might talk about link or mabey its supposed to base of the end of the game. Or mabey its the guy who blocks the way to the deku tree because he disapears when you talk to him
The guy who blocks the way to the Deku Tree is Mido, and although he disappears so you can't talk to him, he is referenced to still being in the Kokiri Forest. He also appears in the Lost Woods in the future.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
My take was always that the Kokiri were truly ageless and wouldn't die if they left the Forest. The Great Deku Tree only told them a little white lie to protect them. They are his children, and he wants to protect them.

All the talk about them leaving and growing up could be possible. It makes me think of Peter Pan. A lot of things in Zelda make reference to the story of Peter Pan, and can be argued that the creators had this story in mind when making a lot of the things throughout the games.

A few noticable things are:

Link's green tunic and hat looks very similar to the costume which Peter Pan wears.

Link has Navi the fairy in OoT. Peter has Tinkerbell in his stories. Plus, fairies have also always been apart of Zelda, as they have in Peter Pan.

Peter Pan is often shown chasing and having trouble out of his shadow. Link also has trouble out of Dark Link (originally called Shadow Link) in various Zelda titles.

Among all these things, I think it would make sense that if the creators did have Peter Pan in mind, the Kokiri living in the Kokiri Forest would be based on Lost Boys living in Neverland. Both the Kokiri and the Lost Boys do not age while in these places. But we have seen (for those who know the story of Peter Pan or have seen the movie Hook) that if a Lost Boy leaves Neverland, he will grow up.

Lost Boys can also die while in Neverland, as I'm sure if something were to come to the Kokiri Forest and kill a Kokiri child, they would die as well. Its more likely that the Deku Tree told them not to leave so that they would stay young, as if they did leave they would grow old and eventually die from old age, even if nothing were to attack them in the outside world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom