• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time OoT: Bloodiest E-rated game?

The most common is to fight Ganon and see him cough up the blood, or when certain bosses or monsters are killed.

floormaster5.JPG

Above is a scene from the Shadow Temple, enough proof for you?

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
In TP, there is an extreme lack of blood to recieve animated blood. The red flashes (NOT SLOSHES!) must count as animated blood. Unlike OoT where there is an actual slosh.
Kitsu, you did a good job!

In TP, there is an extreme lack of blood to recieve animated blood. The red flashes (NOT SLOSHES!) must count as animated blood. Unlike OoT where there is an actual slosh.
Kitsu, you did a good job!

Thank you. And yes, I think that Twilight Princess showed far too little "blood" to be considered for a T rating.

http://www.kasuto.net/twilight_princess/screenshots/tp_screen029.jpg

Above is a link to a picture from TP, showing Link attacking an enemy, I don't see any "animated blood", only the indication that he hit the creature.

Now here's a picture from Ocarina of Time: I see airborne blood.

http://reviews.cnet.com/legacy-game-platforms/the-legend-of-zelda/4528-9882_7-30989269-11.html?tag=contentBody;screenshots

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Really! TP, the only "Blood" there is the red flash.
OoT, they went bloody, gory, and recieved E. I want to see a Teen rated Grand Theft Auto!

Yeah, exactly. But seriously, how is there "sloshes" of blood and Ocarina, and it gets and E rating, and Twilight Princess shows hardly any and it gets an T? Is the ESRB on crack or something?

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I just saw that if you attack an enemy, some purple chunks come out of it. I wonder if that would be concidered gore? Found it in the Wii version, so it should be in the N64 version.

The slightest bit of blood doesn't determine what rating a game will be. TP was rated T for a number of reasons.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Yeah, but OoT had a crap load of blood and never got "Animated Blood". Twilight Princess did get "Fantacy Violence" because of the cutscenes that make it seem almost PG-13. OoT, I'm impressed it didn't get the Animated Blood due to the stabbings and the gagings in there. TP does have a crap load of violent scenes, but hardly any blood, only red flashes.

Yeah, but OoT had a crap load of blood and never got "Animated Blood". Twilight Princess did get "Fantacy Violence" because of the cutscenes that make it seem almost PG-13. OoT, I'm impressed it didn't get the Animated Blood due to the stabbings and the gagings in there. TP does have a crap load of violent scenes, but hardly any blood, only red flashes.

Alright, I don't know exactly what is considered animated blood in terms of games like Zelda, but I'm pretty sure that the stabbings would be considered "realistic" violence, not animated blood. However, the ESRB has much different standards then the movie industry, in the sense of blood and violence.

However, Ocarina of Time had a much darker storyline, and I think we must take this into account. Just because Twilight Princess had[has] better graphics, doesn't necessarily mean it should just automatically get an higher rating if there is violence.

In Ocarina of Time, there were "sloshes" of blood, that were clearly visible. If these "sloshes" were in Twilight Princess, they would be animated blood, likely. Just because Twilight Princess has better graphics doesn't mean it can convey violence better or not.

Even if Ocarina is a lesser render, it can still convey violence realistically. I Ocarina of Time would of had an 'T' rating if what was implied was actually shown. Take the Shadow Temple for example; one part says

"..The tale of Hyrule's long, bloody history.."​

There are many examples, but I won't consume your time with all of them. My conclusion is basically that, Ocarina of Time was darker in the sense that certain things were implied more than actually shown, and only a more mature audience would perceive them. But there was indeed an exceptional amount of blood, and even gore.

Hanyou

didn't build that
As an owner of the gold cart, I can verify that OoT in its original form is substantially more violent and graphic than most E-rated games I've played. In fact, I'd say it's almost up there with the Teen-rated Goldeneye in terms of violence, though Goldeneye has enough blood in it for an M rating. Of course, the frequency of "violent deaths" is much less in OoT.

I get the impression that the ESRB was much more lenient back then, before graphics got realistic enough to really be disturbing. Even Goldeneye seems like it should have warranted an M rating, looking back and considering that the less violent Halo (where you spend most of your time shooting aliens and green-blooded zombies, if I remember correctly) somehow earned that score. I strongly believe Ocarina in its original form deserved a Teen rating, not only for the blood and violence (which was substantial) but also for the dark themes and the downright frightening moments. The bottom of the well, with enemies like the dead hand, was substantially more scary than, say, the ghost house in Mario 64 or Mad Monster Mansion. It was disturbing on the whole. I like this.

So yes, in the end, it deserved a Teen rating more than any other Zelda game. While I don't mind a childlike approach in such games as The Wind Waker, I think it was all the better before it was censored, and its edginess gave it its sheer power. The blood added to this. Drawing Ganon's blood in the final confrontation--when you plunge your sword straight into his face--was immensely satisfying and powerful. It felt heroic. Drawing green snot in the newer versions did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom