• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OOT ->2 Years MM, Why Not SkywardSword ->2 Years New Zelda Game Using Same Mechanics

I

Internetfan15

Hallo to the readers of this forum,

What I liked about Majora's Mask was that it was released only 2 years after Ocarina of Time because it used the same mechanics and much of the work was ready. What I also liked was that it deviated from the usual sequential story development where the story progresses until Link has to save the princess and beat Ganondorf. It was more so to say a storyline development breakthrough!

The idea is this:
Why not do the same thing with the Skyward Sword mechanics which in my opinion were very succesful and innovative? Take them, use them as they are and make a new Zelda game in a much shorter timeframe (2 years instead of 5) and focus on creating a nice side story (e.g. in a parallel universe) like in Majora's Mask! I find this a great idea since I haven't yet had enough of the Skyward controls and it would take less to develop!

As far as the new game is concerned (the Zelda with the new Wii U controller) I believe that we should not expect to see it before five years from now and this is a long time to wait!

What are your thoughts on this idea?

I

Internetfan15

The Zelda group from Nintendo said I think that more Zelda games will be coming out in the future (i.e. at a faster pace). It would be nice to have development for two games in parallel. One substantially new (utilizing Wii U controller), and one story-wise new using skyward sword mechanics (and its colourful graphics). If this ain't gonna happen and the company wants to make every game new in terms of technology, then no problem.

Though it would be nicer to focus more on console games rather than the portable games! If you look at the release years:

TP:2006 (WII)
PH:2007 (DS)
ST:2009 (DS)
SS:2011 (WII)

two portable games were released before the console one.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'd rather wait for a full blown Wii U adventure. The new consoles first Zelda must be the most technically and graphically brilliant of all the Zelda games, to make an impression.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I've actually read some time ago that Aonuma stated we should expect the new Zelda title for the WiiU (I believe it was) between 3 to 5 years. The development of the handheld game will likely be completed more directly, if I'm not mistaken. But you did get the maximum of years right for the next home console title, with enough room for a potential sooner release.

Actually, most people disliked Majora's Mask because it used the same engine as Ocarina of Time. It wasn't until the last few years that people started appreciating Majora's Mask for the game that it is, before so it was criticized as a copy. Also, the fact that it needed the memory expansion pak made people even less likely to get it. Because of these things, the likeness of a similar thing happening in the future is very unlikely and I honestly wouldn't recommend it.

Going off with the highlighted thought, more fans presumably turned toward Majora's Mask since they didn't need the expansion pak; it could be played on the Gamecube/Wii from the Special Edition disc, or purchased and uploaded from the Virtual Console. Thus increasing the likelihood of players looking to get this, MM's greatness and popularity grew in those recent years. It was not a bad game at all considering its development took less than a year. I don't understand why games since then would require more time to get thrown together and worked out.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I'd like it if there was a game in 2 years, but the mechanics will probably be changes or improved upon and the next game might not be coming that soon.

I

Internetfan15

Looking at the following article:

http://wiiuupdates.com/2011/12/wiiu-higher-disposable-income/

Reggie gives a hint that Wii production will continue parallel to the Wii U production, in order to differentiate between lower budget and higher budget people (giving a bigger audience a chance at video-gaming).
Parallel production makes sense since the Wii controllers will be part of the Wii U controller line-up also. It will be like lower-end SD Wii gaming and higher-end Wii U gaming
with HD graphics and additional experience with touchscreen controller. Now, if Wii production continues, this means Wii software production will continue, meaning more games.

Could this mean a further Wii Zelda title being developed parallel to the Wii U Zelda? Otherwise with what other games could the Wii continue to be supported?

Actually, most people disliked Majora's Mask because it used the same engine as Ocarina of Time. It wasn't until the last few years that people started appreciating Majora's Mask for the game that it is, before so it was criticized as a copy. Also, the fact that it needed the memory expansion pak made people even less likely to get it. Because of these things, the likeness of a similar thing happening in the future is very unlikely and I honestly wouldn't recommend it.

Also, the reason Majora's Mask was the way it was in terms of story and content after only 2 years of development was because it took a lot of things from what was planned for Ocarina of Time and Ura Zelda. These things were cut because of cartridge space and because Miyamoto didn't approve of them, and we all know that the 64DD failed (which Ura Zelda was developed for).

Still, put all that aside, BlueReptile has a point. Our technology nowadays keeps improving by year. There is a better chance the next Zelda game would have to take on the technology of the current year to keep current. I'm sure they've learned by now, not to disappoint Zelda fans.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Aonuma has already said they'll be reusing mechanics from SS, so that should reduce the time frame slightly, but it's not going to be a measly 2 years until Zelda Wii U comes out. MM was actually made in less than a year due to the fact that most of it was taken from things in Ura Zelda and by using the same engine as OoT did. The game is literally a complete copy/paste of everything gameplay-wise in OoT. With Zelda Wii U, that's not really all that possible. One, the engine will be much different, as it will be both a new console and an HD console, and, two, the Wii U tablet will surely be involved somehow, so the controls are probably going to be slightly different from SS's. They'll probably be mostly the same involving the use of the sword, but we have no idea how the items will be used involving the new tablet. I guarantee the minimum amount of time it's going to take for Zelda Wii U is 3 years, which, ironically, is the time frame Iwata wants it finished in. My guess is it'll be 4 years, though, judging by Nintendo's reputation to hold off games to make them better.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't think the game can be completed in 2 years, for reasons JJ stated, especially his reasoning of Nintendo's rep for postponing games to "perfect" them. I like the general idea of reusing SS' physics and stuff...but a new game cannot come out that fast, not with the predecessor's system having been dead and the successor's system not even out yet (don't get me wrong, development for Zelda Wii U could be happening right now but they likely will have to adjust many a thing to fit any changes with the Wii U infrastructure -- a Zelda launch title isn't lucky and Twilight Princess doesn't count really),

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I really dont like the idea of using SS's mechanic and stuff on the next Zelda. I would greatly prefer a completely new game. Dont get me wrong i love SS, but I would rather have a full HD Zelda for the Wii U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom