• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Online Relationships Vs In Real Life Relationships

Honestly I think that a relationship is a relationship. Online or whatever. You're dating. Really, an online relationship is basically just a long-distance relationship on steroids. With video call programs such as Skype and Facetime, you can basically be with that person without being with that person... if that makes any sense to anybody.

Would I online date? Only if I found someone really special. Would I date in real life? Only if I found someone really special.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I had a revelation today, so this opinion is old news (unless I find out otherwise. More to come)

I find it easier to make friends online. I'm not much of a talker, or one for eye contact. I shrink away and hide behind my hair more often than not, and speak in a stand-offish way that people find unfriendly (when in reality I just don't like human contact much, friend or otherwise. Obviously my close friends know this, but it still causes them to not be as close to me as they can possibly be). Online, I don't really have that issue as much. I'm still stand-offish, and don't like small talk, but it doesn't matter as much online because I don't see online people as often.

However! I've decided to stop being like that. To hold my head high and look people in the eye - confidently. To smile and laugh just to make others do so, too, even if the joke isn't that funny, or I'll never see that person again. To trust people and let them in my life again.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
However! I've decided to stop being like that. To hold my head high and look people in the eye - confidently. To smile and laugh just to make others do so, too, even if the joke isn't that funny, or I'll never see that person again. To trust people and let them in my life again.

Ohh you made me re-realize something: I hardly ever look people in the eye. It's hard to do it; it makes me feel as if they're looking inside me, taking away all of my thoughts. Call it silly or stupid, but looking people in the eye actually is one of the things that keeps me from befriending a lot of people.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I used to find it a lot easier to make friends online than in real life, although for a long time I've had friendships through both mediums. I think I've just gotten more confident as I've gotten older, and also I forced myself to not be shy in real life. When I was like 16 I got out a lot more and went to a few parties and stuff, and I made tonnes of new friends and since then my real life friends have kind of taken priority. However, I think both friendships online and in real life have equal value and they both come naturally to me, but I'm quite sociable and I know it's not easy for others.
As for relationships I wouldn't know, I've never had a relationship online.

Oh, p.s. I find with things like eye contact, that the more you do it, the more you find it easy to do. It's the same with smiling and keeping a friendly demeanour. My last job as in a bar, and at first I felt stupid when I had to smile all the time and found the job really difficult. However, the more I outwardly appeared happy and confident, the more happy and confident I actually started to feel.

Last edited:

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
i can have friendships online no problem. as long i as i make sure to keep in contact it's fine. but when It's a romantic relationship it daon't matter. i have repeated problems with being in a romantic relationships and i don't know why. :( it's like they see something about me that they don't like and they change there mind so nothing really works out. be it internet or in person. i just find it hard to be in relationships.. period

ILU

i luv u
Being the awkward, shy type, I find it hard to create relationships either way. But for ME, online relationships (connections of any kind) are harder to form because I've found that very few people are the same way offline as they are online, so I tend to distrust people online.

I've met just a couple of people online who I am able to become very close with, and I had an easier time with them than with people offline. However, I feel this was more due to their honesty than their being online or offline. They're the same either way, which is not common, and I was just lucky enough to click with their personality types.

Offline, people scare me just as much, but I have a better chance of knowing the real "them" than online, so I feel more at ease with attempting (and failing) to create friendships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom