• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Online Dating

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Does it work out? Has it for you?

It seems I always find someone I can relate to that lives in another area that I can't access to. The people here where I live suck and are idiots. But I've always found someone online where their personality and life are similar to my own.

Well, I'm not saying all I do is the online thing because I dont. Every once in awhile I give it a shot and recently I have been talking to someone I really like and I think they feel the same. Though things seem to be moving a bit fast. In any case, should anything happen I would do everything in my power to be with her personally. Because we have found some sort of connection that ties us together.

I could be a fool and taking things at face value, that's most certainly happened before, but I think this time it's forreal.

So what is online dating to you?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There are always good and bad stories. I know enough bad stories but I also know enough good stories. Of course there are always freaks out there who are after internet sex or maybe more dangerous stuff. And other traps but it really depends on the situation

its worked for me. I met my husband 3 years ago online. At the time he lived in California and I lived in Texas. After 6 months we met up in person. And we were married this year in Feb. I couldn't be happier.

Joy

The Sexy One
I don't know anyone it's worked for.
I'm a bit young for that, and anyway I find it scary. You don't know who's on the other side of the conversation. I base myself heavily on body language and it freaks me out, in romantic affairs, to not know what the other person looks like, sounds like or means by something. I'm very good at noticing when people are creeping in real life but there is no way to know on the internet.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I use online dating as a way to make myself accessible to the possibility of finding someone, since my personal life doesn't get me in contact with a lot of new people. Do I have any high hopes for it? Can't really say I do - in my experience there are just way too many so-called "normal" people (and they all have the same mindnumbingly boring profiles, listing the same generic interests - most probably writing what they *think* people want to hear, which I just think is a big mistake - show some personality for crying out loud!) - and then there are the many people just looking for their next roll in the hay (and sadly many of them don't give a damn if you aren't looking for the same thing - it's as though they believe they can change your mind for some reason)...

I guess some people find happiness through it, but from what I've experienced, I can't say I'm too hopeful about it... at least not for someone like me - I very rarely find someone on the same wavelength as myself... and most of them end up being across the country or further... I have settled myself down where I live, I have my job, my life, my friends there and I just recently bought myself an apartment (I don't want, nor can I imagine living anywhere else) - and most other people around my age or up are similarly settled in their locations - I can't ask them to move anymore than they can ask me - so it's a useless situation to even try starting something up longdistance as it would end with one person having to be uprooted in order to make a life together

Last edited:

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Why did the humans attack
Online dating can be really dangerous. There is always the possibility that this nice person who is almost your age could actually be a 35 year old man/woman trying to scam info out of you so they can find and harm you.

I've decided I am going to wait to date until I'm older. I've had my heart broken by guys a lot, and I want to save the rest of me for my future husband.

My suggestion to you is even though it might be hard, just wait. It'll be so worth it when you DO find a person who is not that far away from you.

You don't have to follow my advice! It is merely a suggestion. Dating can be a painful world. ;)

Musicfan

the shadow mage
The only thing i have to say is set up percotions no mater how old or young you are (like many of said you just never no.)do something like meat eatchother with a small groop of friends at frist. 2 or 3 of your 2 or 3 of theirs.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I've never used an online dating service so I don't know the specifics, but while I recognize the dangers and pitfalls I can also see it being a very good tool to use for connecting with people, given that you go about it carefully.

I have actually been considering using one of these dating services myself, seeming as how I have had absolutely no luck with the local scene. Where I'm at, there's nobody around me that I'm even remotely interested in or share much in common with. I am also very bad at small talk, preferring to talk about weightier or more substantial matter. I've been able to really understand my friends this way, but it makes it immensely difficult for me to break the ice with a girl I don't know. Being able to cut past all that and get right to the "meat of the matter", if you will, seems like the ideal route for me to take. I don't take much stock in physical appearance and instead look at the personalities of women, and so far everyone I've come across is either a total airhead or totally uninterested in dating. Going somewhere where the girl's also looking for someone in common with is very appealing to me.

Of course, I'd have to take certain security measures beforehand and verify that they are in fact who they say they are; I'm not naive, and I know the potential dangers. Again, though, I've tried to connect with locals and have had no luck, so this might work out better instead.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Staff member
I considered online dating once and even got set up on a website. However, almost all of the messages sent to my profile were from men. I'm not against homosexuality, I'm just not gay so I decided to reply to those messages thus. After having to tell around 8 different people I wasn't gay (despite my profile providing that information) every single day I decided to just give up using the site.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Does it work out?

I don't think online dating works because I don't see how you can build a relationship like that over the internet. I don't mean to offend anyone who does do online dating, but your being irrational thinking that it could work out over the internet. I know my brother dates online, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to work out because the girl he's dating doesn't seem like the girl who does long distance. Now of course you can hold out in not seeing them, but you have to be sure of the other person. Are they cheating on you? You'd never know. So I say it works out about 5 or 6 percent of the time.

Has it for you?

I've never done it so I can't say. :>

So what is online dating to you?

No offence, but it's a way for desperate people to date because most people around them are dating. And business people take advantage of desperate people and set up this online dating seystem. It's a scam basically.

If I've hurt anyone, please don't take it personally. I don't mean to offend you.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Tyson means online dating and not signing up for online dating sites. He means when you meet someone on the internet and you have a click with that person. Like when you go to a site and you meet someone and you have a connection with this person even though you don't know them in real life. This happens very often. And I think if both of the persons involved are happy with it they should go for it. Why not? There are a lot of internet couples who hooked up through a site/forum and who ended up getting married

Last edited:

bunny

birb overlord
I personally don't think it's a good idea. I tried it once and I ended up getting very depressed over the whole thing of never getting to see him.

Honestly, it depends on how far away and serious you are.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I think you need the drive to do something like online dating, for the ones saying that you don't know anything about the other, all you have to do is Skype with them, monitor their actions and how the act, their body language and so forth.

There are people who find connections through online, I have one now with someone I really truly like and I feel she feels the same, most of the time anyway. I think all you need is constant communication and we do have that, via text and webcam on occasions. There isn't much difference then dating someone out here, I think online has it's adventages because usually online dating or whatever isn't really dating but you find a lot more about each other and end up being friends quicker and before you know it you have many things in common and talking to them about anything becomes second nature, that's how it is wth me anyway.

That's not to say it isn't dangerous, because I'm sure it is.

Does it work out?

I don't think online dating works because I don't see how you can build a relationship like that over the internet. I don't mean to offend anyone who does do online dating, but your being irrational thinking that it could work out over the internet..
Thanks to online dating, I have had a healthy relationship for 3 years now. He and I have met personally after 6 months we started dating and we couldn't be happier...so, it's not irrational thinking.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Thanks to online dating, I have had a healthy relationship for 3 years now. He and I have met personally after 6 months we started dating and we couldn't be happier...so, it's not irrational thinking.
Agreed, the person I'm talking to enjoys talking to me and I can tell. We even decided that once we meet we'll do the whole relationship thing.

She's still trying to open up to me though. Because she's never loved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom