• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Oniana, A Tabletop

amaterasu

Writer
Hey guys, I'm back from the grave. I've chilled out a lot and you can find me on Age of War Zelda Roleplaying Forrum whenever, but I'm really hype to get this RPG going and it's not getting the attention I want on AoW. So I'm going to post this here. I copied everything from the AoW post, so excuse anything that doesn't make sense that I missed in editing. (Since I hit character limit this is going to be posted in two parts.)

You can reply to this post with your character, or PM me if you wanna keep some things secret, like their backstory. (Almost everything is in the spreadsheet.)

Character List:

What up, it’s AJ, Ammy, many of you knew me before I bailed on ZD. And, if you didn't know me then, I guess you do now. I’ve come up with one of my own based on a world I created for a book with the same name, Oniana (Oh-knee-ah-nah). I’m gonna pull up a dice rolling site and bookmark it so, as the GM, I can do GM things like roll dice. I’m going to keep everybody’s character pages in a Google Spreadsheet (an excel document, basically) to keep track of Health, Stats, and Inventory. The document will be free to view but not to edit, so that nobody can cheat, and you know that nothing fishy is going on via a bribe to the GM. I don't know if it's a true tabletop, since I sort of copied a format another member had when they inspired me to make my own, but I hope you enjoy this!
(Also you can skim just about everything but the rules, if you'd like. I know it's a lot.)

Rules
Not all of these are going to make sense until you read below, but I want to keep all rules in one central place.
1. All Zelda Dungeon Rules apply here.
2. Be respectful to all players, do not attempt to God Mod or harass another player.
3. Respect the Game Master. They are not a playable character so attempts to speak to them via your character will not be acknowledged. To speak out of character in the thread, please use double parentheses or brackets.
4. You are allowed free roam of the world but do not complain when there’s nobody in your area to roleplay with.
5. Please do not start roleplaying until we have at least two participants.
6. You cannot make a Creature until you have an established human character.
7. I will control NPCs. If you want something specific to happen PM me before the event takes place.
8. Inventory space is non-negotiable but you may add another eight spaces by purchasing or creating a new bag.
Your inventory adds into your weight, which can hinder speed. Each +5 weight will result in a -1 Speed, and at +20 weight you will be unable to run.
9. Each character will start off with 150 Gold, no exceptions. It does not take up inventory space nor does it add weight to your character. You can find more gold in the environment, earn it by working, or gain it by selling something to a merchant.
10. Actions by any player that seem impossible for themselves or the laws of physics themselves will be disregarded and you will be asked to edit your post before your character is acknowledged.
11. Role-playing should be in paragraph format.

Background Knowledge
Everything you should know about Oniana.
History
Unless somebody wants me to expand upon the history of Oniana, I’m going to keep the story’s prologue concise.
In the beginning, dragons and humans did not get along’; there was more or less constant chaos and fighting. Any attempt from either side to set up a hierarchy or otherwise working system was smashed by the opposing side. This continued as far back as many can remember until five members of each side, drawn together simply by fate and luck, began to meet in secret. Five humans and five dragons, they referred to themselves as and have continued to be called the Tranquil Ten. They spread their peaceful message over the land and eventually the fighting died down and empires rose.
These ten became the first five Bonds, a tradition held into today. When a dragon fledgling and a human child are born, there is always a member of the opposite species born at the same moment. On their fifth birthday, the human ventures outside of city limits, around where the farmers would generally work, and wait for the dragon they share a birthday with to emerge from the wild. Upon their first meeting, they will bond together, and spend the rest of their lives together, further referred to as Bonds.

In Oniana today, life is peaceful. Nobody is at a great disadvantage, education is a common thing, and the people are generally happy. Although some countries' rulers have differences, they try to keep these in personal conversation as to maintain peace throughout Oniana. Although most of the land is settled, outside of larger cities and the Farmers' land are hideous creatures and vicious feral dragons. Be wary when venturing into the unknown.

Bonds
Bonds serve no other purpose than being your dragon companion and your vehicle, so to speak. They cannot attack during a typical battle but they will defend you from random attacks from wild creatures. They’re between the size of a pony and a horse, and have wide wings to enable the flight of both themselves and yourself on their back.

The Land
Oniana is split into five regions, each dominated by a country, which was established long ago by one of the original five Bonds. While the humans have long since passed and their first names lost to history, their last names live on in the countries.
To the north, Nodin, a mountainous land with numerous valleys and rugged cliffs. Home to Zire, the Wind Guardian.
To the south, Elidn, a beachy land bordering an ocean. Home to Chailyn, the Water Guardian.
The east holds three different forests, all inhabited by the people of Jerron. Home to Maral, the Earth Guardian.
The west is very plain; the Peppered Plains house the people of Varmes. Home to Titus, the Fire Guardian.
In the center of these four empires lies Tatum, a bustling little community that accepts any exiles from its neighbors. Home to Achack, the Spirit Guardian.

amaterasu

Writer
Dice Rolling System
We just need two six-sided dice, or, one we can roll twice. I will roll for the probability something will happen and if it does, how well it will happen, it’s effect. Probability is measured by even and odd numbers. An odd number shows the thing will happen, and even shows it will not. Effect is measured on a scale from one to six, one being completely ineffective and six being completely effective.
You will not always have to roll for both options. For example, if you want to pick a lock, you will just roll for probability. To attack, you would need both; the probability the attack will land where you want it and how much damage it yields, dependent on the attack. This will be expended on below.

Attack and Weapons System
Weapon System
Each character has a starting weapon and can fashion a new weapon with what they can use in the environment around them. You can also purchase new weapons from merchants or trade them between party members. Each will have basic attack stats that can be improved or hindered depending on your actions. They also add weight to your character.

Ex: Improving your sword by taking it to a blacksmith or sharpening it, or dulling your blade by hitting it against rocks because you are bored.

Reliability
A starter weapon will have no chance of breaking, but an environment weapon has a slight chance of being broken, dependent on the circumstances.
For example, if you were fighting a lizard-like creature, and it used a fire breath attack, your weapon could be burned to a crisp and crumble in your hand.

Attack System
Attacking is as follows; you will choose your victim, your weapon, and matter of attack. The attack is modeled below.
TJ is a Priest and is going to attack a dungeon creature:
TJ: Attack Goblin Steve using staff, fireball spell.
I will then roll to see if TJ’s attack lands on Steve and if it does, how well it hits. If it doesn’t, I’ll show the attack misfiring.
If it hits, something like this will happen:
Steve HP: 20
TJ’s Base Attack plus Fireball Attack: 16
Steve Defense: 5
Steve HP: 9
If it does not hit, something like this will happen:
TJ’s attack misfires and hits the stone wall behind Steve. It lights up the room for a moment and burns the dried plants off the wall.

Roleplay Style
You can roleplay in one of two ways, or mix them as you go. (That is to say, even if each post you make alternates styles, keep one per post.)

You can use a semi-script style format, that looks like this:

James enters the dungeon and draws his sword.

To which I would reply like this:

James: You find yourself in a dimly lit room, with door ways to your left and directly in front of you. Which way will you go?

And so on and so forth.

You can also post in a more detailed paragraph style like this:

Paula and Tyran enter the city and take in their surroundings, seeing many vendors selling their wares and Knights standing before the palace doors. Paula walks up to a merchant and studies their wares, picking up a dagger. “How much?” she asked.

I would reply in the same manner as above, like this:

Paula: The vendor mulls it over, and answers. “Fifteen gold.”

You can then bargain or pay the full price, and continue from there.

Characters
Class System (Bolded are playable):
Royalty: Self-explanatory, born into the job, projected by high-ranking Knights. They’re supposed to focus mainly on the kingdom.

High Priests/Priestesses: Full attention to the Guardians, chosen by the previous High Priest/Priestess

Knights: Basic police force. They protect royalty and High Priests/Priestesses, and keep the peace in Oniana.

Priests/Priestesses: They run the churches, and lead everybody in prayer. They generally have ties with High Priests and Priestesses, but not always.

Farmers: Farmers are only higher ranking Common Folk because they’re responsible for almost all the food.

Commonfolk: Average people living average lives in Oniana. Nothing too special to say about them. They can hold down a variety of jobs, from simple merchants to medical staff.

Servants: Servants work at the castle and receive three meals a day, a home, and a warm bed, but do not receive wages. After chores they are allowed to leave the castle, and may leave servitude at any point they please.

Creature: Many creatures walk the land of Oniana, from lizard men to goblins to fish people. The possibilities are, more or less, endless.

Class Stats

Knights have favor of the royalty and start off with armor for both themselves and their Bond. Though this armor weighs a lot, it does not hinder flight and you can easily sell it for a quick buck. It is the best armor in the game next to what you can risk your life for in dungeons.
Weapon: Shortsword, double edged. (Weight: +3, Attack: +8)
Armor: Standard Knight Armor (Weight: +10, Speed: -2, Defense: +15)
Inventory: Sword (Weight: +3), Armor (Weight: +10),

Priests and Priestesses have the favor of the Guardian of their home. They learn magic based on their home country, and come equipped with a staff and a spellbook. You may choose three spells in your book to start with and you may choose a reasonable attack stat for the spell. As the game progresses you can learn more spells by talking to other Priests or finding spellbooks in the environment.
Weapon: Staff (Weight: +5, Speed: -1)
Armor: None
Inventory: Staff (Weight +5), Spellbook (Weight +2)

Commonfolk have no special traits other than what they were trained to do. For example, a merchant would have better bartering skills than a chef, but a chef might know what plants would be less poisonous. This class is the most customizable, and if you are able to back it up, you can add a weapon or armor to your character.
Weapon: Fists (Attack: +3)
Inventory: None

Creatures are so variable that their base stats are the same as Commonfolk. Essentially, they’re clones of one another Creatures having a bit more artistic freedom than a Commonfolk being restricted to humans. Though you must remember creatures are not as popular in cities as humans. If you want them to start in a city you must disguise them somehow. (Think that legendary DND session with a bear that blended in perfectly with society.)
Weapon: Fists (Attack: +3)
Inventory: None

Leveling Up
Through the RPG you will “level up” and your stats will rise a little bit. There won’t be a little jingle but I will keep track of the amount of monsters you fight. After ten are killed, you will level up, and the number will be increased by three. I’ll make a post in the thread and edit your character chart accordingly. You get credit for killing a monster by engaging in battle with it, even if you help another. Boss battles will send everybody into an automatic level up, and your monster-fighting count will be reset, but will not increase.

Note: You may make a secondary character after your first character has been established and the game has the “ball rolling” so to say. You may make a human or a creature of any sort within reason. We can talk about it privately, and after you submit your application for said creature you can introduce them whenever. This leaves the door open to make things worse for everybody in the middle of a dungeon or present a helpful passer-by in dire times.

Application
For your base stats, you have 25 points to spread between your five stats. Remember, you’re a level one character. You can spend them all in one place or spread them equally, it’s all up to you. Remember that I’m going to make sure your points add up properly before accepting your application.

Name:
Bond:
Base Health:
Base Attack:
Base Defense:
Base Weight:
Base Speed:
Inventory (Eight spaces including what your class choice gives you. Any other items must have a reasonable weight and if they can be used as a weapon, a reasonable attack stat.):
Class (If Commonfolk, include your occupation (If any)):
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory: (I want at least a paragraph, it has to back up your class choice and any extraneous inventory.)
Other: (Optional)

Last edited:

amaterasu

Writer
It's the exact same game, do you want me to copy/paste the thing from the Age of War spreadsheet to the ZD one?

amaterasu

Writer
Oh yeah uh, totally.
Uh huh.
I mean batpool signed up on the other site (and his character is a sensible miner, even). But no bait here.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
Sorry. I would've joined by now, but the whole RPG dice-and-stats-and-lore set-up is really complicated and confusing for me. I didn't wanna jump into something where all I do is ask questions.

amaterasu

Writer
If you want you I can answer all your questions, I think I wasn't as clear as I should've been when I made the post.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
BTW, Ammy, since people left you can probably join my game if you want. We haven't gotten off the ground (or the sign-ups) yet, so you can join if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom