• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U One of the Worst Final Bosses in the Series

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
When little Cassandra Jr. was playing TWW throught for the first time and she had finally reached the evil Ganongroff all these people refused to stop talking about, she was excited. She fought bravely against the barrel-chested menace, only to be robbed of her victory because she did not know that it was easier to deflect the light arrows by Z-targeting Ganondorf. Now that she knows how to defeat the final boss, she quietly admits to herself that though the fight was atmospheric and intense, it was incredibly easy and could be completed in a matter of minutes.

6/10

Musicfan

the shadow mage
It easy but I still love the fight it gives you a seance that link has grown in skill compaered to the other time he met gannondorf in WW

I agree that the final fight is easier than most, but I would disagree that it's lack of difficulty should be held against it in this case.

Wind Waker was not intended to be a difficult game. Most of the bosses don't offer much of a challenge to be defeated (with the possible exception of Molgera). Ganondorf's lack of difficulty as a final boss should therefore come as no surprise in a game that was designed to be relatively easy overall. I would have preferred all of the bosses to have been more challenging, but that was simply not the direction Nintendo took here.

WW focused instead on telling a compelling story, and for my money it is one of the franchise's best. This is the purpose the final fight is intended to serve, and in this, it succeeds admirably.

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
You raise a good point... thinking about it, every boss in SS is diverse (well, except for the one from the mining facility - there's always one eh?)
Ghot is the most original boss in the Zelda series, Gyrog is the least origanal, nor is Gyorg really diverse.

Wind Waker has my favorite final boss in the series. :/ The very last bit with the shield is slightly annoying, but I didn't really think it was difficult enough to warrant any frustration towards it. Mostly I just loved the kick *** sword fight with a dual katana wielding Ganon. :T

Also, I'm willing to grant it didn't have much merit as a fight mechanically, but I guess I felt like that's what puppet Ganon was for and the last fight was mostly just to be cool. Which I think it accomplished to a crazy degree. Like, no other moment in Zelda has ever been that hype.

Last edited:
I agree! I love the wind waker but jeez the final boss was just way to awkward! It was hard to bounce the beams off the mirror shield and just overall frustrating!! It's a cool concept but I believe there could have been a way to smooth things out not to mention zelda. She was just too annoying! Yes zelda I know the plan but if you would get out of the way maybe we could kill gannondorf! Stupid blonde

Fig

The Altruist
I love The Wind Waker as a game, and I will admit that will be some flaws here and there but when it came the final boss battle against Ganondorf, boy did Nintendo did an amazing job. I can argue that the boss battle might be short (depending on how fast you are skillfully making hits against Ganondorf), but when it comes to controls, I personally thought it was done very well! The controls of the boss battle was still amazing and felt perfect for such a battle. I heard that people do not like the angle whenever Zelda is going to shoot a light arrow and you need to reflect to stun Ganondorf. That could be a problem if you don't L-target (use the L shoulder button on the Wii U). It's probably why I enjoyed the boss battle's mechanic because I have always used L-targeting throughout the game for better precision. L-targeting even allows to pick up the pace of the battle you can then use advanced techniques such as the vertical slash, horizontal slash, and jump attack to combo better throughout the battle.

With that said, I still believe that the final boss battle was really great despite how many people have stated that they dislike it. When you think about it, this final boss battle specifically could have even inspired final boss battles such as Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. The battle itself was also magnificent as the player has to time each hit in order to deal damage to Ganondorf. That's what I love about that boss battle, it wasn't like others where you just need to confront the enemy and just keep piercing damage onto the boss. All in all, I really love the final boss battle from Wind Waker simply because of the mechanics that surround this battle specifically.

I love The Wind Waker as a game, and I will admit that will be some flaws here and there but when it came the final boss battle against Ganondorf, boy did Nintendo did an amazing job. I can argue that the boss battle might be short (depending on how fast you are skillfully making hits against Ganondorf), but when it comes to controls, I personally thought it was done very well! The controls of the boss battle was still amazing and felt perfect for such a battle. I heard that people do not like the angle whenever Zelda is going to shoot a light arrow and you need to reflect to stun Ganondorf. That could be a problem if you don't L-target (use the L shoulder button on the Wii U). It's probably why I enjoyed the boss battle's mechanic because I have always used L-targeting throughout the game for better precision. L-targeting even allows to pick up the pace of the battle you can then use advanced techniques such as the vertical slash, horizontal slash, and jump attack to combo better throughout the battle.

With that said, I still believe that the final boss battle was really great despite how many people have stated that they dislike it. When you think about it, this final boss battle specifically could have even inspired final boss battles such as Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. The battle itself was also magnificent as the player has to time each hit in order to deal damage to Ganondorf. That's what I love about that boss battle, it wasn't like others where you just need to confront the enemy and just keep piercing damage onto the boss. All in all, I really love the final boss battle from Wind Waker simply because of the mechanics that surround this battle specifically.

Ah true it was a better since of accomplishment instead of stab Gannondorf until he dies, but when I first got to Gannondorf it was hard for me. As I kept on rebeating the game it became easier and easier. Now do not own ww hd so I don't know weither or not Nintendo made the game easier seeing that they like to do that in their remakes

OcarinaofWind12

So zetta slow!
I've always thoroughly enjoyed this battle. It just had a really great atmosphere and the music was to die for. I don't know though...I've never had problems with the mirror shield controls. My only serious issue with this game is how bored I get during the Wind Temple.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Keep in mind the competition, however. Unfortunately, many Zelda bosses fall into a rather predictable pattern... Even the ones that aren't final bosses. This is especially true with all the 3D games, none of the five being exempted. The battle also mixes things up by forcing you to experiment with different weaponry before re-obtaining the Master Sword, something that other 3D bosses lack, along with there being a much higher factor of skill and luck being involved when it comes to preserving your Light Arrow magic, hitting him spot on, and not wasting time getting to the tail, opposed to WW's wait and press A approach.

Rose-tinted glasses would be more relevant if I harped on about how OoT's atmosphere and final boss design hasn't been matched since, and will never be matched, which was never my point at all. MM provides the exact same strengths, with an arguably more challenging final encounter, as I previously said. SS has much better buildup, thanks in part to the down-ward spiral fight with Ghirahim and a lot of good dialogue. And I'm not challenging the idea that WW or TP also had good mood/atmosphere as well, with WW's being stated above, and TP having a rather neat fight with Possessed Zelda and Beast Ganon before the final fight. It's important to be objective, realize that all of the games have strengths and weaknesses, and not discredit or overblow some because of popular opinion/nostalgia.

Z target
hit in face
Roll under legs
Hit tail with megaton bgs

Once you get master sword

Z target
hit in face
Roll under legs
Hit tail with master sword

Also difficulty does not always equal enjoyment.
A boss can be fun even when easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom