• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Older media references in kids media

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Had trouble coming up w/ the title. Basically, what do you guys think of shows or even games that are aimed at kids having references to something that most kids probably won't understand? Is there a point at all?

One example I can give is in The Fairly Odd Parents, Timmy and co. need to visit anti Cosmo for some reason [don't remember what the episode was about]. Anti Cosmo is locked away in a secluded jail cell. When Timmy and co. approach him, he says "Hello Clarice", and then a little gag plays out. This is reference to Silence of Lambs. So it's like, how many kids watching this episode back then do you think would get that reference? I'm sure maybe some but it's probably a really small percentage. This joke would definitely vibe more w/ an older audience. So then the question is how many older people do you think would be watching this show back then? I'm sure maybe some but-eh, you get the picture. This isn't the kind of joke where both kids and adults can get, it's meant primarily for an older demographic than the show is targeted towards.

I also thought about Astro bot on the PS5 having all those older Playstation reference, but I think this example works better.

Last edited:

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I think it's nice. I like those small jokes I might have missed if I revisit a show. It makes the show feel a little bit new even though it's old to me.

I've also always figured that part of it is for the adults who have to watch the shows with their kids. Sure the target demographic of cartoons might not be older people, but if you have kids you're probably watching a lot of shows you're not particularly interested in. If they can throw a few bits of humor in for you, then that just makes it more bearable and likeable to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom