• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Okami Or Skyward Sword

Which is better Okami or Skyward Sword

• Okami

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
while I have played both games, it's super hard to even try to pick between the two.
okami is different altogether from skyward sword in my opinion. completely.
however, with storyline, I like skyward sword much better.
something about okami's art style though, really got me. it's so whimsical. like moving paper.
it's really hard to decide.

R

Robgoro

Ah! This is like getting to the middle of a Pokemon game, where your party is just getting so big you have to decide which one's to leave behind and which one's to keep on training (and whether or not you really want to be "that guy" who uses a Kadabra with Psychic as his lead)! There are so many things to say about this!

Without a second thought, Okami takes the gold for world design. The game by itself is amazing - but when you pair it with knowledge behind how they designed even the most insignificant characters, or how the relationships between them are nudges towards countless Japanese myths and folktales, the game adopts a whole new level of depth. It takes time to look into the world of Okami, but it takes all of that Zelda charm and throws it into a blender alongside an extraordinarily deep understanding of Japanese culture as a whole - going so far as to remodel the entirety of the Japanese capital city and courtly life. I don't even need to mention the graphics, and Shinshu Field is arguably as iconic in feel as Hyrule Field from Zelda or Azalea Town in Pokemon - this game, though, stood on it's own (until Okamiden). In the Japanese version, Waka, whose named after a type of Japanese poem, speaks in the format of the poem of his namesake. That being said, the depth of design and attentiveness to charm, cultural material and overall aesthetics makes Okami my personal favorite in this regard, but...

My girlfriend and I woke up at midnight to hunt down Skyward Sword, which failed, and the next day we spent a good four or five hours searching for two copies of the collectors edition - which succeeded. Aside from that wonderful referent for the game, Skyward Sword did more for the franchise than it did for itself. When I played it, it truly felt like a 25 year culmination of all the things I loved about Zelda - from the whimsical charm of Batreaux to the epic score providing the back drop for the battle against Koloktos - it was a game that, to me, nudged Ocarina of Time out of it's throne. It seemed to me like Nintendo's first step in a very right direction without completely "modernizing" the name. It found it's graphical niche, despite some obvious flaws (Fi's singing...ugh...ack...), and combined a great value of nostalgia with new aspects of "modern" games. Like I said, it did more for the franchise and Nintendo than it did for itself.

This thread, it rips my heart in two!

okami is beautiful but iwas originally a port from the ps2. skyward sword definitley because it was made directly from nintendo and will always stay loyal to the systems from nintendo

DLC

Soul Drummer.
People, DONT VOTE IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED OKAMI OR SKYWARD SWORD! all it does is make it bias. I think okami is better, deeper stry line, better artstyle, dialogue, raunchy dialogue, and just better mechanics. I'll be honest, I do not enjoy SS. I just don't like it. OKAMI IS WAAAY better.

it's hard to compare those two. if anything, i'd compare okami with twilight princess. wolves saving the world should be in the same genre, not too much skyward sword.
though, both had good storylines and amazing graphics, don't get me wrong! i cried in both, i felt for the characters... i love both games equally.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Well for me If I really had to choose between the two games I found SwS more awesome as far as gameplay goes but if want a game with a great that at least over 20 Themes will be stuck in y our head then go with Okami or if you just like a game with an awesome soundtrack and most of the music is traditional japanese music so if you've heard trad. Japanese music I'd go with Okami.

In short Okami for soundtrack and SwS for gameplay.

I have played both and I have to say both are amazing. Okami has its own style, its own set of characters, its own story and an amazing artstyle and gameplay. Both games have similarities but are very different. They innovate in their own way and even have artstyles based on painting, but the experiences are unique. Okami has and amazing world and amazing array of characters, amazing bosses, clever usage of the brush techniques and a beautiful, scratch that its gorgeous. SS has a creative world, vibrant charcaters, amazing funny and epic moments and allows you to interact withthe world as no other game has done in the industry, period. No game nails the WiiMote this way. Is incredibly inmersive and challenging, both in its unique and engaging combat and amazing and creative array of puzzles.

The thing is that both are amazing, both are fun and worthwhile every minute. Both have gorgeous worlds, and amazing stories and innovate in different ways. Okami enajles you to interact with the world with the brush, allowing you to draw in the world and SS is the only game that makes you feel you have a sword in hand and are actually saving Hyrule. Both are innovative, both are scored incredibly high and if you have the chance play both without doubt.

Now it all depends if you, have what it takes? ;)

This thread, it rips my heart in two!

Lets just play both and be happy! Yay!

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I've played both to completion, and while I love both games Skyward Sword is just slightly better. Both games have absolutely astounding soundtracks, really cool visual styles, enthralling stories, interesting side characters, and awesome boss battles (come on, why do you think I have Lechku as my profile pic, that fight was awesome!) Also, I got pretty emotional in both games, something that almost never happens to me. Just about the only thing that makes Okami worse than Skyward Sword is the weird voice-overs, I never got used to that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well not having played Okami I can't make a comparison, but whoever said Okami is 'WAY better than SS.' probably exaggerates, In my opinion there are only two games that are a bit better than SS and those are TP and OOT, my favourite games in the whole wide world. If anything was WAY more enjoyable than those...wow.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword. Okami was pretty damn good, but I don't think it's as good as some people make it out to be. Some people treat it like many fanboys have treated SS: like it has zero flaws. Well, it doesn't. Of course, both games have their numerous respective flaws, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I said Okami was the better of these two games. Both are amazing, but SS wins by a landslide.

I prefer Okami's story and art style to Skyward Sword's. Okami, in my opinion, had a lot of ideas that were both genius and beautiful for example using the paintbrush to create a river within the stars, it sound beautiful even just to describe it. I've played Okami twice, both on the ps2 and the Wii and i prefer it on the ps2 because the paintbrush attacking is really really harsh and it has to be exact, there is no room for error and i was in the tutorial for on attack for fifteen minutes on the Wii version trying to get it right. I also really love the characters in Okami, but you really can't compare the characters to those found in SS.

Okami's art style feels more realised than SS's but as far as gameplay goes Skyward Sword definitely wins out. I just don't like the running mechanic in Okami and a lot of other features of the gameplay can be hard to pull off in Okami and the game is hard enough to start with.

So I'd say SS wins out but still, i wouldn't make a habit of comparing both of these games because its rather fruitless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom