• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official ZD Pokemon League - Become the Champion! (Interest Thread)

UPDATE: Now that the Pokemon Bank and transfer mechanism is now live in most of the world, an official date of March 1st is set for the beginning of our first tournament to determine our remaining Elite Four members, with a signup thread opening one week in advance on February 22nd.

I'll keep this thread open for further comments, but I'm going to un-stick it so that the top of the forum doesn't get too convoluted. There have been some very minor changes to our official rules, but not enough to significantly effect team-building. If you're unsure of the rules, please consult the OP of this thread to get the run-down of what is and isn't allowed.

After doing a final run-down of our official rules, I'll create a thread specifically for those rules. Also, a thread containing our current Elite Four, along with the ever coveted Hall of Fame, will also be created.

Update: With the delay of the PokeBank and the transfer system, the launch of the League could very well be postponed. I'm setting the tentative start of our first tournament on February 1st, although this could change if the PokeBank release date is pushed back even more than it currently has.

The first tournament will commemorate the launch of the League, with the reveal of our first two Elite Four members and their full team. The finalized rules will also be released, although you shouldn't expect any radical changes from our first draft of rules that would invalidate/mess-up your prepared team. Expect the banlist to remain the same, as that conversation is fairly concrete at this point in time.

The first tournament will be 6 v 6 singles, but this is by no means the only format for future tournaments, and acts merely as a basic launchpad for our first tournament. The top two competitors will win the final two spots in our first Elite Four. In the event that an Elite Four member(s) decides to enter the tournament and finishes in the top two, the next runner up will win the Elite Four spot. Participants may refuse an Elite Four spot, in which case the offer will fall to the next runner up. The top four participants will win a selection from a set group of our many prize Pokemon, with 1st place having the first choice, 2nd place having the second choice, and so on and so forth.

5OYCc.png

Welcome, one and all, to the new ZD Pokemon League! This thread is here to gauge interest in the new League, and to open up discussion for suggestions, ideas, and methods to help create this new iteration. I've been working closely with Terminus, Lord Vain, and Gobli to draft our initial vision for how the ZD Pokemon League would function. If you would like to be part of the process along with us, we would greatly welcome your input, no matter your background in Pokemon. Add me to Skype (vergoagogo) and I'll add you to our chat that we use to communicate.

FAQ

Is this going to be super competitive?

- We're going to strive for good competition, but this won't be Smogon level competitive play. If you're a casual fan who wants to try it out, be our guest! Our Elite Four and Champion will be difficult, but our held tournaments will be open to anyone and everyone to participate. Our Elite Four's team will always be transparent and available, so you can prepare accordingly. The Champion will be a different story, however....

Do I have to worry about "tiers"?

- Nope. All we do is ban the Pokemon that are obviously broken and will ruin matches, such as Arceus and Mewtwo. You're free to use whatever Pokemon you want as long as it isn't on our banlist.

What game do I need to have?

- All of our official League matches will be used with Pokemon X/Y for the 3DS. We may use simulators such as Pokemon Showdown for specific tournaments, but Wifi battles will be used for our official League matches.

- Please remember that the League will not be put in place until the PokeBank is released at the end of December. This thread is merely for the purposes of discussing ideas and suggestions on how everything should be put together until that time.

Drafted Rules

1.) Basic Structure: An Elite Four and a Champion are in place, with any user able to challenge the league. The elite four can be challenged in any order, but the Champion can only be challenged once all four are defeated.

a. We arbitrarily place the first incarnation of the Elite Four and Champion. Each time a challenger goes through the Champion, they will take the place of the Champion, with the former Champion being demoted to Elite Four. Although the Elite Four can be challenged in any order, we have a tier list, similar to the Ace-King-Queen-Jack system. The Champion is demoted to “Ace”, and the “Jack” loses their Elite Four position.

b. Challenges to Elite Four members and the Champion will go through XY wifi battles. The structure of official League matches will be 6 vs 6 single battles.

c. External tournaments can be held, but can take place over battle simulators such as Showdown if desired. These tournaments don’t affect the Elite Four/Champion, although the Elite Four may enter the tournament.

2.) Elite Four:

a. The teams of the Elite Four need to be transparent – meaning that their teams need to be public so preparations can be made. We want the battles to be difficult, but we want to have people winning to keep interest in the league high.

b. Battles against the Elite Four may be either casual or official – if an Elite Four member wants to have a practice battle with someone, it should be a learning experience. But only official battles will count as a true defeat.

c. A challenger may only challenge a specific Elite Four member once a week.

3.) Champion:

a. The Champion’s team will be unknown to the general public, and may change in structure, unlike the Elite Four.

b. No casual battles will take place against the Champion.

c. The identity of the first Champion will remain unknown

4.) External Tournaments:

a. Tournaments separate from the League may be held. These tournaments will be open to any participants, and the Elite Four are free to join as well.

b. The Champion may not enter external tournaments.

c. The basic structure of tournaments will always be single elimination in the form of a randomly determined bracket.

d. The type of tournament held may change, being double or triple battles, or other form of competition.

5.) Tiering/Banlist:

a. We operate under a simple banlist that Smogon has put in place, which includes the “over-powered” Pokemon capable of making matches unfair, such as Arceus, Mewtwo, and Blaziken. There will be no restrictions in place on what Pokemon can be used, and other tiers such as “NU” or “OU” will be irrelevant.

b. If any challenger uses a banned Pokemon, move, ability, or item, the match is automatically null and void.

6.) Battle Clauses:

a. Species Clause - A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same National Pokédex number on a team.

b. Sleep Clause - A player cannot put more than one of the opponent's Pokemon to sleep at any given time.

c. If any challenger violates a given clause, the match is automatically null and void.

7.) Prizes/Banners:

a. Each time someone defeats the elite four or Champion, they will receive a custom banner, or “badge”, to signify their victory.

b. We will offer shiny Pokemon as rewards during tournaments we hold external to the Elite Four/Champion.

8.) Hall of Fame:

a. The Hall of Fame will be used to signify challengers who have successfully defeated the Elite Four and Champion.

Banlist

Moves:
Metronome
Dark Void
All OHKO moves
Sky Drop (can glitch)
Any Accuracy lowering move
Evasion boosting moves i.e. Double Team

Items:
Bright powder/Lax Incense
Gengarite
Kangaskanite

Abilities:
Moody

Pokémon:
Arceus
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys (all forms)
Dialga
Giratina
Giratina-O
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Kyurem-W
Lugia
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Reshiram
Shaymin-S
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zekrom
Mew
Cresselia
Genesect
Regigigas
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zygarde​

Remember guys, this is just an interest/ideas thread. We won't actually be implementing anything unless there's enough interest to do so, and if you have an idea that you think would make our structure/rules work out better, please let us know in the thread.

If you'd like to be part of the process, add me to Skype(vergoagogo). We will have to determine the first incarnation of the Elite Four/Champion, and it could be you!

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
As I said yesterday, count me in. I will donate some Shinies for the cause. As to my role in this, I do not know it yet. Maybe I will just be a challenger, but if you have plans for an elite 4 or whatever, lemme know so I can arrange a good team. I only have one question. Why are those four items banned? I've faced countless of Gengars and Kangashkans and have dealt with them great, I don't see a threat in them, but that is just me.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
As I said yesterday, count me in. I will donate some Shinies for the cause. As to my role in this, I do not know it yet. Maybe I will just be a challenger, but if you have plans for an elite 4 or whatever, lemme know so I can arrange a good team. I only have one question. Why are those four items banned? I've faced countless of Gengars and Kangashkans and have dealt with them great, I don't see a threat in them, but that is just me.

I know Kangashkanite is considered broken and over powered. That's what I've heard at least.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I know Kangashkanite is considered broken and over powered. That's what I've heard at least.

Wow. Then I guess I'm too overpowered myself, what with me dealing with those two pokes successfully.

Anyway, I don't mind if those items are banned at all, I don't use those Pokemon anyway, so all is fine. :P

Ver-go-a-go-go, does it matter what kind of shinies I donate? I mean, fishing shinies is easy, but getting a shiny in the safari or elsewhere in the game that is not fishing takes time. I have several that I don't really need that I've ran into, so I will donate those, but if you don't mind shiny fished pokemon, I can donate even more.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
What is the significance of the shinys? Did I miss something while skimming over the OP?

Also, I guess I'm in. :P I'll need to build up my team though since I restarted. >.>

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Lord Vain will be donating as well, so we'll have quite a lot to choose from.

Oh that's great. :D Maybe I will win one or something. :P But yeah, I guess by donating we'll simply trade that shiny pokemon to whoever wins it, right? I mean, the winners will have a list to choose from, or will the shiny pokemon that will be up for grabs be mentioned in every tourney? Sorry if I ask too many questions, I just want to make sure I do things right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom