• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Timeline W/ Simple Explanation?

A

abdulmuhsee

So even after looking at the timeline diagram and hoping to get an explanation as to the story and order of the games, I'm now twice as confused. I understand the 'Hero is Defeated' and 'Hero is Successful' split, and I'm fine with that, but the 'Adult' and 'Child' split are making my head spin.

1. What exactly is the difference between the Adult and Child era? Does 'Adult' occur if Link stays as an adult at the end of OoT and 'Child' if he goes back in time?

2. In the 'Child' timeline, MM comes after Oot, then TP. Does that mean that the Link from TP is the same Link from the end of MM grown up? Exactly what connects MM and TP?

3. Is Impa from Oot the same Impa from SS?

Basically, if someone can give a simple and easy-to-understand explanation of what happens at the end of OoT that causes the 'Child' and 'Adult' split, I would be grateful.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Adult Timeline occurs when Link is sent back in time by Zelda at the end of OoT (that timeline continues on without Link existing in it, so TWW and so on happen).

Child Timeline occurs also when Link is sent back in time by Zelda (that timeline continues on with Child Link existing – he warns Zelda of what Ganondorf is going to do and the events of MM and so on happen).

The Impa from OoT, I would say she is an incarnation but IDK.

A

abdulmuhsee

So... in one scenario, Link is sent back in time by Zelda and warns her about Ganondorf.

In the other scenario, Link is sent back in time by Zelda and then ceases to exist for some reason.

I still don't get it.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The thing with the Adult/Child split is that it isn't a "what-if" split like the other one. Both timelines actually happen within the same multiverse. It's not that the Adult Timeline (AT) happens if Link stays as an adult and the Child Timeline (CT) if he goes back to being a child. It's the AT happens when Link is an adult and the CT when he's sent back in time.

At the end of OoT, Link is sent back in time. But the time he left (in which he defeated Ganondorf) still continues, and that is the AT. Link has disappeared from this timeline because Zelda removed him from it by sending him back.

When Link arrives in the past, this creates a new timeline (split) because on the original timeline, as we saw (or didn't see) in-game, Link didn't appear in the ToT and go warn Zelda about Ganondorf's plans. But on this new timeline, precisely that happens. This is now the CT, which follows into MM and TP.

TP Link is different from MM Link. Several hundred years separate the two games. There isn't anything connecting MM and TP directly; TP is connected to the child ending of OoT through the backstory it presents of Ganondorf's execution attempt, as described by Aonuma at one point.

SS Impa...
'died' (read: vanished, supposed to never return) at the end of OoT.
Add to that her apparent age in OoT and they're most likely different people. The same 'character' also appears in OoX and LoZ and aren't implied to actually be the same person. Same goes with several characters with the same name, such as Tingle, Zill, Malon and Talon.

S

SongOfTime

** OOT/MM/TP Spoilers**

The Adult/Child timeline split is caused by Link defeating Ganon in the final battle. Once Zelda and the the other sages seal Ganon away the threat of evil is over until the events prior to Windwaker. The sacrifice of Link saving Hyrule was giving up 7 years of his childhood. Because of this Zelda sends Link back 7 years in the past right before he pulls Master Sword. He then goes to warn Zelda (in the past) of Ganondorf's plans to take over Hyrule.

Although Link was sent in the past the Adult Timeline goes on without the Hero of Time.
In the Child Timeline, Link contiunes to live his childhood. After warning Zelda, he borrows Epona from Lon Lon Ranch and goes off to find Navi. This leads to the events seen in the beginning of Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess is seperated by hundreds of years and the only character that is the same as OOT is Ganondorf.

OOT Impa may just be a reincarnation.

I hope this clears things up for you!

The Split Timeline seems to already have been explained, but I will try to do it as well.

In the end of OoT Link and Zelda have a talk. Ultimately Zelda sends Link back in time using the Ocarina of Time. Link is then sent back to a time before he had met Zelda. Link never draws the Master Sword when he becomes young again, in order to prevent Ganondorf from gaining access to the Sacred Realm. Link later goes to Termina and MM happens. Ganondorf is later captured by the Sages and is banished to the Twilight Realm after a failed execution attempt. Centuries later, a new Link defeats Ganondorf in TP. This timeline is the "Child Timeline" (CT), because it follows the ending of OoT in which Link is a child.

At the same time, the timline in which OoT Link defeated Ganondorf remained after Zelda sent Link away. Ganondorf was sealed at the end, but he swore to return one day. He eventually does that, but since there is no hero to challenge him, for Link is on another timeline, the Golden Goddesses decide to flood Hyrule. Later, the events of WW take place. This timeline is the "Adult Timeline" (AT), for because it follows the ending of OoT in which Link is an adult (note that Link is an adult when he leaves this timeline and becomes a child again).

AT: Link meets Zelda---Link draws the Master Sword---Seven Years---Link battles Ganondorf---Link wins and Ganondorf is sealed---Link is sent back in time---Ganondorf returns---WW
CT: Link meets Zelda---Link does not draw the Master Sword

If Link should lose against Ganondorf, another timeline happens, the "Downfall Timeline" (DT)

DT: Link meets Zelda--Link draws the Master Sword--Seven Years---Link battles Ganondorf---Link fails and Ganondorf is sealed---Seal War---AlttP
AT: Link meets Zelda--Link draws the Master Sword--Seven Years---Link battles Ganondorf---Link wins and Ganondorf is sealed---Link is sent back in time
CT: Link meets Zelda---Link does not draw the Master Sword---MM

Hope this helped

/Blue Window

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom