• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I completely agree that that particular emote should be removed.

It's unfortunate that that does not always work but that's really what needs to be done. If people aren't going to work together on these issues and compromise to make the forums a better place then they really shouldn't bother to stick around.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I completely agree that that particular emote should be removed.

It's unfortunate that that does not always work but that's really what needs to be done. If people aren't going to work together on these issues and compromise to make the forums a better place then they really shouldn't bother to stick around.

Can we also replace some of those screen eater emotes with actual zelda emotes?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think that the emotes are ok in general if they aren't clearly determined to be/going to be used to offend people since you can ignore them. But maybe some larger Zelda emotes could be implemented alongside them?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I think that the emotes are ok in general if they aren't clearly determined to be/going to be used to offend people since you can ignore them. But maybe some larger Zelda emotes could be implemented alongside them?

if i cold find a rolling goron emote i totally would ask for it, but i looked and alas it's not there T.T

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
It's gone on for long enough, honestly. I'm sure everybody would very much like for there to be no divide; nothing is going to get better with people split, regardless who is on staff. From the last few days, several dozen non-contributing, off-topic and inflammatory posts have been removed, and punishments have been slim despite the constant provoking behaviour. These types of posts should not continue, especially in this thread. I look forward to respectful discussions on how to improve the forums for everyone and take away any frustration. Thank you for the cooperation.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
Not to change the subject or anything, but I'd apprectiate if there was an option to make a custom profanity filter. The more major offensive words are blocked out, but there are still some that at least I find offensive, and I'd like to be able to personally block some language so that just I don't see it.

Dan

I would like to be invited to this Skype group as I pretty much have a fantastic way to solve the problems. I don't want to brag when I say this but quite honestly I feel like I and a few others are at a school of infants and that we are pretty much the only mature students that occupy this school.

Not sure if a fast-paced Skype chat is going to solve too much, especially if there's like a dozen or so people trying to get their points across all at once. Not everyone can type that fast, and getting one's points across in a smooth, concise, well-thought out manner tends to be a lot easier in a forum environment where it's much easier to take one's time and, well, think. There's also the possibility of lag, difficulty editing quickly enough--which in itself can lead to misunderstandings, points getting buried. It's generally more difficult to reply to certain users in quick-moving chat settings, too, which might further lead to weird misunderstandings and points not being conveyed well. I don't know what everyone's fascination with Skype is nowadays. It's always "Skype this and Skype that." I say screw Skype for once and get down to business the old school way right here on a thread.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not to change the subject or anything, but I'd apprectiate if there was an option to make a custom profanity filter. The more major offensive words are blocked out, but there are still some that at least I find offensive, and I'd like to be able to personally block some language so that just I don't see it.

We are currently looking into this and will get back to you as soon.

I agree with Wolf Sage. Skype isn't going to work. Besides, whatever happens in there is beyond your control. I don't even know if you have intentions to include the forum staff in said chat, but I can't see it working out. While Wolf Sage suggested a thread, I think a private conversation with all of the involved people would probably work better. But it should definitely stay on the forum, so that the board rules can be enforced accordingly. But there definitely needs to be intentions of supervision, otherwise it will get nowhere.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think that if people would rather do it by way of private conversations on the forums that could work well too @Satan. They have a similar format to threads and allow people to come up with more concise responses than Skype. I'm sure that the other staff as well as myself would be willing to act as mediators within these conversations if they are between two members alone and participate in group conversations with a larger amount of people too.

If a part of the forums is to be used, how about making use of the Private Boards? That subforum hasn't served a purpose in the longest time. Locke could set the options for viewing to be set to only people who want to participate in the discussion in the admin control panel. I know some people also get nervous when there are a lot of observers of a conversation, so this could create a more comfortable situation for them.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I don't mind using the forums, but have concerns it might be too impersonal, which would hurt communication. Basically we're all real people with real feelings and I really want to chat in a place where we can communicate effectively. I'm worried the forums are too abstract.

I don't mind using the forums, but have concerns it might be too impersonal, which would hurt communication. Basically we're all real people with real feelings and I really want to chat in a place where we can communicate effectively. I'm worried the forums are too abstract.
What with the way that fast-paced [Skype] chats work, letting everyone have an equal say and effectively get their points across is akin to a group argument IRL. Amid all the "yelling," points get drowned out, and the "quieter" party's points don't often get heard. The forum environment allows for taking a deep breath and thinking before speaking. Plus, it's a whole lot easier to use quotes to reply to any given user(s) directly in a timely manner, among other benefits such as the preclusion of grammar, typos, and semantics woes--thanks to quicker access to editing tools and the ability to proofread one's posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom