• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think this would be a good idea. How would you like it structured?

It was working well the way it was. It would obviously need a new host this time around. Members would send their questions in through the website or the forums and the best ones could be selected.

My concern would be not getting enough questions in with the current climate being what it is. There is lack of people coming to the website at the minute which may pick up when some more Zelda U news comes. That would be the ideal time to get started with it I think.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
It was working well the way it was. It would obviously need a new host this time around. Members would send their questions in through the website or the forums and the best ones could be selected.

My concern would be not getting enough questions in with the current climate being what it is. There is lack of people coming to the website at the minute which may pick up when some more Zelda U news comes. That would be the ideal time to get started with it I think.

Would you like to the return of ZD's fantastic guides?

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Regarding ZD being 'dead' or 'dying'. Per usual, it's worth distinguishing between the site and the message board. The actual website, from 2013 to 2014 had virtually identical numbers. 2015, based on current numbers, looks like it might be slightly ahead of 2014. Decline from 2013 to 2014 was less than 2%, and from 2014 to 2015, looks like it will be up 2-4% based on my current estimates.

The forums, we had a huge drop-off from 2012-2013 to 2014. However, year over year at the forums is down only 10% for posts per month. I think I attribute that to the decline in new membership and overall engagement. I think a lot of Zelda fans just use the front page, the Facebook page, or other new Zelda communities such as the Reddit/Zelda page. I don't know what the numbers are at Zelda Universe, but I wouldn't be shocked if they too had a similar 10% drop in forums from last year. Glancing at the Zelda Informer forums from time to time, they were quite active a few years back, but their forums seem like they are not very active anymore. I think their fanbase has also heavily moved to site comments and Facebook.

At this point, I don't think closing the Zelda Dungeon forums is worth discussing, considering it still does get 3,000 - 7,000 posts per month. It's not nearly the numbers we got back in 2011-2013 at the forums, but it's still a notable forum activity level in my opinion.

I don't think there is as much drama now as there was a few years ago, but I think the percentage of overall posts that are drama-related has probably increased.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Ok, legit suggestion, and I want it taken seriously.

Someone who isn't involved with the current staff should reboot the zelda dungeon forums and let it be run by people that actually care. Then actually take care of obvious problems when they exist and before they become bigger problems.

Or delt the current staff and bring in people who actually take their job seriously and genuinely care about the forums.

Or just delete the forums altogether.

Personally, I'd do the latter option, but I know that's sadly not gonna happen.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Ok, legit suggestion, and I want it taken seriously.

Someone who isn't involved with the current staff should reboot the zelda dungeon forums and let it be run by people that actually care. Then actually take care of obvious problems when they exist and before they become bigger problems.

Or delt the current staff and bring in people who actually take their job seriously and genuinely care about the forums.

Or just delete the forums altogether.

Personally, I'd do the latter option, but I know that's sadly not gonna happen.
Say's it's a legit suggestion when it's nothing more than even more nonsensical trolling. You're right, it's not gonna happen. Not agreeing on what constitutes an "obvious problem" doesn't mean that the staff doesn't genuinely care. The staff members that left felt there were "genuine" problems that were being ignored. And there are many other people, including other staff members, who disagreed entirely about the legitmacy and truthfullness of those alleged problems who also felt there were other "genuine problems" with those other now-retired staff members that they were ignoring. We get the same accusations going back and forth. Did it need to escalate this far? No. The constant, incessant trolling has helped push it that far.

I cannot take you seriously in your claim that you genuinely care about the forum when all you've been doing lately is posting baiting, trolly posts meant to anger people and toxify things. A reboot isn't going to happen. The staff still here does care about the site. No one wants to see it die. The core problem is a philosophical disagreement on how to handle it. And I've always advocated for an approach similar to what Mases has suggested here previously, that a more hands-off approach is better. I use that on the wiki and it works very well. We have no such problems there. Sometimes you need to get your hands in there. But petty personal disagreements are not that. It's sad that it had to be taken to these levels, to these places when it should have been settled privately.

Now please, everyone, stop wasting our time with this trolling. You're not accomplishing anything constructive.

Reactions: Dio

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Actually, what I posted was a genuine suggestion; this site really does need a change in staff. It's not trolling. It's indisputable fact. :fact:
A change in staff? Absolutely not. Everyone on staff now is great. But I can't disagree that it could benefit from getting some new staff to replace those who retired. The current staff have their own lives and it'd can't be left to just them forever, it's unfair and too much to retain long term mental sanity. However, I think that should wait for everything to cool down. People are way too angry right now. Let things chill first. The site won't die in the meantime.

Reactions: Dio

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
A change in staff? Absolutely not. Everyone on staff now is great. But I can't disagree that it could benefit from getting some new staff to replace those who retired. The current staff have their own lives and it'd can't be left to just them forever, it's unfair and too much to retain long term mental sanity. However, I think that should wait for everything to cool down. People are way too angry right now. Let things chill first. The site won't die in the meantime.
Why not clear the staff and vote them in democratically? If the staff are so great then they will get enough votes. We can find a way to have a fair and non exploitable voting system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom