• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

No offense, but I think the line is obvious.

Plus, it's not like we ban you on the spot for crossing it. We always tell the member to stop before hand and give them a chance to change the conversation. When a mod tells you to stop, then there is your line. If you do it again you have no right to complain when we have given you a clear opportunity to back down.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Plus, it's not like we ban you on the spot for crossing it. We always tell the member to stop before hand and give them a chance to change the conversation. When a mod tells you to stop, then there is your line. If you do it again you have no right to complain when we have given you a clear opportunity to back down.

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen last time.

I said one thing and then didn't mention it again, and I was still banned for it.

If a mod asks you to stop, just stop. That's all it takes. We never ban without warning unless it's extremely serious. Yes, we'll try to document warnings better but honestly we shouldn't have to. Stop means stop.

And last time was after you had already been banned numerous times for the exact same
behavior. There is zero excuse for not knowing at that point. None.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Can we make it so that instead of the Contact Us thing only leading the Mases it could maybe be all the all admins because when I was banned it was really annoying that I couldn't contact anyone because Mases never checks it.

Dan

Franklin said:
It's dammed if you do dammed if you don't. In the past moderators would ban members on the spot for mentioning anything related to sex. So we try to be more lenient and now we're wrong doing that too. Honestly the best method is to judge things as they happen. When I, or other mods, feel someone has crossed the line, we'll bring it up the staff chat and discuss it and then we'll take action. That's how everything is handled and it's made things an lot easier and more laid back around here while still enforcing rules when things to go too far.

I honestly hope this lenience remains as I feel it does the community more good than bad. The current system isn't perfect but what system is. The system we are using now is very good in comparison to the system that was being used in what I call the Axle era of ZD. I've said this a few times but the informal tactful method works far better for most users here rather than the point system. The point system was akin to a mod looking at a checkbox and hitting the tick box. Those sorts of systems aren't necessary in a small community, since all the mods and users alike know one another and can keep track of behaviors etc. The previous system even caused other users to mod all the time constantly, and pressuring mods to ban x user for x offense. Witch hunts were another consistency in the previous era which got really tiresome and caused many users to feel terriblemand paranoid regarding their actions.

Blue I've been warned a few times in the sb for my behavior, so I'm not sure where you received the information that I haven't. Maybe you watch the sb and log into my Skype and constantly observe me to see if I receive warnings? If you did you would know I've had a level 5 Seth stop attack and even had Jim jam message me on Skype "stop doing that" and it goes no further because I do just that.

Had you done what you did a few years ago you would have probably been banned far longer and may have even received a forum ban. Not to mention probably be labeled as a DESTROYER OF ZD and the topic of a dozen Scooby doo chats.

I know discussion regarding the ban isn't desired but I felt the overall system of how punishment works on ZD in general needed discussing and the ban was a recent topic to use.

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
There should be a 'like posts' feature in the shoutbox sort of like how we have one for threads and profile posts.
May I add onto that?
A Like Comments feature for liking profile comments.
Thank you for your consideration to read this and goodbye.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
LinkIsSexy said:
There should be a 'like posts' feature in the shoutbox sort of like how we have one for threads and profile posts.

We've decided that this is completely unnecessary. Shouts are just very temporary comments that quickly fade away. The SB if for really informal chit chat, not for well documented posts that contribute to the subforums.

Swordbomb said:
May I add onto that?
A Like Comments feature for liking profile comments.
Thank you for your consideration to read this and goodbye.

This is something we're currently talking about doing. The old forum had this option and it's not a bad idea. It's likely the admins will eventually begin working on this. It's going to take some work though.

Djinn

and Tonic
This forum used to have a very strict hard line that was followed when it came to following the rules and doling out punishments. However that led to many situations where members did something that was mostly harmless or could only be taken a wrong way but they crossed said line and was required a minimum punishment because of it. That led to more ridiculous situations because things basically turned into a zero tolerance policy and infractions/warnings were handed out almost nightly. People were at the time infracted for posting a thread in the wrong section, instead of now the mods just move the thread.

In mid-late 2012 ZD got the reputation of being overpoliced with members being constantly knocked down by regulation after regulation. This is what led to the more lenient mindset, it was noticed that the mods were doing the work of machines without having any real care for the actual members posting. It was generally agreed to step back some and stop jumping straight to infract when the tiniest thing happens. So yea the staff are a bit more lenient and take a personal call approach towards making a decision on removing a post or warning a member.

I still believe this to be a better method that the hardline near zero tolerance approach we once had.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have to agree with Djinn. During the spring and summer of 2012 it was almost like the mods were forced to have a competition about infractions and warnings. This led to very unpleasant situations both among the staff team itself and staff and members. We -thank god- moved on from that. It's not perfect but that's impossible. But compared to those days the team we have right now is a complete improvement. The mods are actually very laid back and they communicate a lot. Something we lacked doing in the past according to the members and that's true. It can never be perfect because there will always be something people complain about.

And I also have to agree with Dan. Dan probably has been banned the most of all. If he only appeared online the ban button was already pushed. So it's not fair to assume another member never gets punished because you don't know that. You can assume it and are free to do so but it's not like the mod team is posting a daily thread about members so called misbehavior and punishments for others to see. I don't think members would like it to be seen. So I don't think it's a good thing to yell how another member isn't punished. Because like I said before you don't know that.

That being said I think we should move on. If members don't like the site they are free to leave. If you decide to stay then stop posting how you hate the site and want to leave, and then stay longer and post more and more how you want to leave and how you hate the site even more and continue doing this. If I seriously hate a site I leave and never return or don't look back.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I have a suggestion: Let's allow members to vote for members to ban in a democratic fashion.

I'm sure everybody can agree that this is a fantastic idea!

EDIT: I mean, like, nominate people and then vote for them, like the elections. It's a flawless plan imo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom