• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
I suggest one single thing: An :Approve: emoticon.
You see, we have no fun way to approve of messages without all the work that goes into making one ourselves! And what's worse, we have no fun way to approve messages on the Shoutbox at all! With an :Approve: Emote, we can do this the easy way, and I have just the picture to make it fun!
th

See? Much more exciting than just saying "I approve!"
If we get an :Approve: emote implemented, it will make approval easier and more fun for all of us!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I suggest one single thing: An :Approve: emoticon.
You see, we have no fun way to approve of messages without all the work that goes into making one ourselves! And what's worse, we have no fun way to approve messages on the Shoutbox at all! With an :Approve: Emote, we can do this the easy way, and I have just the picture to make it fun!
th

See? Much more exciting than just saying "I approve!"
If we get an :Approve: emote implemented, it will make approval easier and more fun for all of us!
We already have this in Sanskrit Agreed :sanskritagreed:

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I suggest actually making a set set of rules about what is considered "inappropriate", instead of just letting the mods decide, because at the moment there seems to be a lot of bias against users and against what is considered inappropriate, as there are many times where I have observed one user say something with a mod in the chat and get no warning, while another user says the same thing with the mod in the chat and get a ban. This is an incredibly terrible problem as at this point it's impossible to venture into any territory that isn't made for four year olds with certainty on what will and won't get you banned.

In addition, we need to have an actually system set in place for warnings in the shout box. I propose that each of the mods have a button, and that once they warn someone, that they can click the botton or whatever and then a notification will be sent to the user and will appear in the shoutbox saying they have officially been warned. I also propose that the shoutbox archive be updated more often and that it include these warnings. I also think that once they have been warned, it makes a note of exactly what the shout that caused the warning was so that there is no bias. I also think the other users should be able to suggest what warnings are put in place, as when there are no mods in the box or if the mods are not paying attention, the warnings can still be given without abuse. The warnings will work in the sense that a message containing the shout will be sent to a mod, and they can check it.

This will not completely stop the bias, but it will at least help.

I also propose that there be a set ammount of time for SB bans, instead of mods simply deciding on it themselves. I say the warnings should add up to a ban, and a ban should add up to longer bans, so no user is given a longer or shorter ban, or vice versa.

I do not know how these systems will be set in place, but I may be able to help with things such as the programming if it is complicated.

I really hope this is taken in to consideration because I hate feeling like the mods are simply guessing and assuming things based on what they may have heard, or that they are picking on choosing what they think is alright. These things should also apply to mods themselves, with if a mod warning is suggested by a user, it is sent to another mod.

I also suggest maybe not having the name with whether to give a warning or not, because mods are only human and may have a tendency to decide to warn someone based on their past experience with someone, rather than what they actually said.

However, I know it is sometimes necessary to ban someone from the shoutbox quickly, so I suggest the automatic ban is reduced from 24 hours to an hour or three hours, which will give the mods enough time to decide the next course of action.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
There is literally no arguing what you said. It was completely out of order. You've done it before countless times, and you're complaining about a week long SB ban? Seriously that's lenient. You broke the rules clear and simple. If it was a one off, then we warn you, but it wasn't a one off. You are showing that you're not listening to us by completely ignoring our warnings and still you proceed to say these kind of things and then use mod corruption and bias as a scapegoat to the actual problem.

Blue Canary

There is literally no arguing what you said. It was completely out of order. You've done it before countless times, and you're complaining about a week long SB ban? Seriously that's lenient. You broke the rules clear and simple. If it was a one off, then we warn you, but it wasn't a one off. You are showing that you're not listening to us by completely ignoring our warnings and still you proceed to say these kind of things and then use mod corruption and bias as a scapegoat to the actual problem.

This had nothing to do with what I said.

I literally just said that I think we should make the banning system better.

I was not arguing my ban in any way nor blaming bias for it. Did I mention bias? Yes. However I never mentioned my ban in any way shape or form.

In fact, a lot of the bias I was referring to was the bias the other users have mentioned in the past, and something else I will mention later in this post, which may or may not be bias, but I was referring to as in my post. My post was based on things I've actually seen multiple users complaining about before. Do not use my ban as an excuse against my suggestions, especially because I did not mention my ban at all.

Also, I am simply suggesting something that may make our forum better and may make it easier to ban users that are doing things wrong, yet you are saying that I'm just using this post to complain about a ban I never mentioned.

The reason I actually made this suggest was because I've seen multiple using doing things against the rules without getting in trouble, and I want to make sure that those users get what they deserve.

And this isn't out of nowhere; I've been talking about this for while now. So please, do not change the subject in order to disagree with my suggestion.

If you would like to disagree, I would suggest that you point out flaws in my suggestion, and explain why that would not work.

We as a staff always discuss bans and infractions. That includes the Shoutbox. So no we don't individually decide on the fly.

Admins are also working on letting mods be able to unban in the Shoutbox as well so we don't have to wait for an Admin to do it.

I do think that a clear length of ban should be given to the user as soon as possible and I'm sorry you weren't told it was longer than a day yesterday. That was our mistake.

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
I'd honestly have to agree with Blue on this one. There is little to no ruleset on what's right and what's wrong in the forums, and thus some people get put behind bars while others get a slap on the wrist for both doing the same exact thing.

It may just be my opinion, but I feel the current moderators should head on over to the Terraria Community Forums and chat with the moderators, and administators, there. Good examples are Matsu, Tunnel King, Leinfors, and Nike Leon. All four of them have been known for taking just actions and going by the rules for things that need to be taken care of. They take action for everyone that does something wrong, whether it be a warning (same as infraction), a ban pro-tempore, or even a permanent ban. Thing is, they don't sit idly by while chaos reigns. They take action, and thus the Terraria Community Forums are a nice place because of them.

Blue Canary

We as a staff always discuss bans and infractions. That includes the Shoutbox. So no we don't individually decide on the fly.

Admins are also working on letting mods be able to unban in the Shoutbox as well so we don't have to wait for an Admin to do it.

I do think that a clear length of ban should be given to the user as soon as possible and I'm sorry you weren't told it was longer than a day yesterday. That was our mistake.

I do not think I stated it was decided on the fly, and if I did, my mistake. I was suggesting that the warnings themselves just be more organized and be more obvious when they are given to a user, as a user may not remember they are given a warning, or not realize that are being given one. I'm also suggesting that there be a way to organize the warnings so that it is easier to know, as mods are only human and may forget things, or misremember things. I was suggesting then instead of mods just discussing everything everytime, that there is at least some set things, so that a user may be more aware of what is going on. While I think there may be a problem with the mods, I think more of the problem is the communication between the mods and the users, and that a user is not given a full explaination on their ban, because at the moment it's simply "You said this and then you were warned before about things that I don't remember."

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
No need to look at me. Just trying to make sure that no person, or night light, stands alone!

Unfortunately when you've said pretty rude and disgusting things a few time to many then you become known for doing it, so people will incur harsher penalties for it, because it's obvious the person in question hasn't learnt. It's not out for a grudge nor being bias or any of that it's having to tailor the punishment for the individual because they don't give a damn about the rules and continuously flaunt them. Also stating that our mods should go off and learn from someone else and another forum is quite insulting you basically just said you don't think that are any good at their job. Stop comparing forums to one another every single forum is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom