• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
The purpose is so there aren't constant queries being run for users who aren't even using the site.

I know I said I didn't care what goes on on this site anymore when it comes to blah blah, but this is something that's kind of annoying. Is there a way that ya'll could remove the shoutbox announcements for people who're invisible? Setting one's online status to invisible while having all of one's activity posted in shoutbox anyway kind of defeats the purpose, you know? Either that, or remove the invisibility function altogether, on account of how pointless it kind of is now with the Stalker Lenses + shoutbox announcements.

Jamie

I'm actually struggling with understanding the purpose of invisibility. Even without shoutbox announcements, if you make a post, people will see it. Why does it matter if someone can see if you are online or not? I'm not saying it's irrational or stupid, I'm genuinely curious. Could someone who utilizes this function explain it to me?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't like how people can watch what I'm doing on the site. When I post I mean for it to be seen, which is I don't understand what Wolf is saying. My reason for being invisible is just that I don't like how people can see exactly what I'm doing when I'm just lurking and stuff like that

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I'm fine with allowing people to see me. Why does it matter if people can see when you're lurking? I actually like this feature.

Jamie

Yeah I'm still confused as to why it actually really matters. Reading a thread or looking at a profile--no one is going to judge you for that. It's a public Internet forum and you are free to do whatever you want. If someone makes a post or sends a vm, they are giving everyone on the forum permission to read it, so whatever someone is looking at on this site should not bother anyone else.

I mean, to each their own, I just personally can't wrap my head around it.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The main reason I stay invisible is because there are certain days during which I just don't want people to know I'm around, whether it's because I don't feel like talking to people or for any other reason, and I just cba to click and reclick the button. So I stay invisible. I don't personally care if people see what I'm doing on the forum, I just have those days sometimes (fairly often, actually) when I want to remain hidden. If I don't want people to know I'm around, then I don't post or chat, I just lurk. I don't need to keep invisibility on, it's just too much of a hassle to go invisible when I want to.

It's the same reason I go invisible on Skype so often, there may be some people I want to chat with while there are others that I'd rather not even know I'm online.

If I'm gonna be honest, though, with so many people having Stalker Goggles nowadays, the invisibility feature is quite pointless. I wouldn't really care if it were removed.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If I'm gonna be honest, though, with so many people having Stalker Goggles nowadays, the invisibility feature is quite pointless. I wouldn't really care if it were removed.

I would prefer Stalker Goggles be the thing that gets removed.

I like my invisibility. It lets me lurk comfortably without people questioning why I never log out. I don't really mind having my posts visible to others, but people seeing what I'm doing online does bother me sometimes, especially when it's on a day where I'm not feeling up to things like Mellow Ezlo described. I can totally relate to that feeling.

Why do we even have Stalker Goggles in the first place? Like, really. Why? I can understand mods having a need to see through invisibility, but normal members? No. There's no call for that. What the heck. Let us be invisible in peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom