• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
707a5e7a0a.png

Can this not be a thing? Please?

Musicfan

the shadow mage
That makes it even worse. Then it'll encourage ****posting in more serious sections. There's no need for a limit, anyway.

There is a reason why there are posting quality guidelines that apply to a majority of the sections besides the more spammy areas.
I don't see why the SB can't be an award for make 1 singal quality post a day would be a bad thing. If you want to use it contribute to forum discussions. How is it a bad thing?

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
There is a reason why there are posting quality guidelines that apply to a majority of the sections besides the more spammy areas.
I don't see why the SB can't be an award for make 1 singal quality post a day would be a bad thing. If you want to use it contribute to forum discussions. How is it a bad thing?

I would say that I felt isolated from the community before I had access to the shout box, and really don't want to have newer members feel the same way as when I lacked access.

The post requirement just becomes this unnecessary hassle, forcing people to post something of lower quality of when they would actually post, just so they can use the SB. More posts, yeah probably, but it's not for the right reasons, and may put people off.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General

Posting quality rules were removed. You can literally make spam posts just to access it.

There's really no correlation between lack of posting and allowing everyone automatic access to the shoutbox. During many periods of high activity on the forums, there wasn't daily post requirement, and during periods of low activity, there was. There were periods in 2008 - early 2009 where the shoutbox was available immediately upon registering where there were lots of good threads being posted. It's really all over the place, so there's no way to say "yes requiring 1 post per day does y". Also, the shoutbox has often been the reason good threads were posted, as a discussion in the shoutbox turned into a thread.

Stitch

AKA Patrick

I think there are better ways of getting people to post than keeping them from a major thing like the SB. Especially when that has proven to lead to people making spam posts before. I think having access to the SB with no added requirement than is already there could lead to people posting more in the long run, by having them become more comfortable with the members here and making it easier to follow the more popular threads which are creating discussion in real time. In fact, forcing people to post once a day could backfire. It could lead to people having the habit of only posting once a day, because they are worried that if they post so much that they won't have anything to really contribute the next day.

Idk, just dropping my thoughts into this discussion.

Djinn

and Tonic
I was once on a forum that required 5 posts in 24 hours before SB was accessed. That was a bit ridiculous. I do not necessarily believe there is a connection between available chat and posting activity. Only posting and apprehension of what it might attract.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I for one would almost never post if I couldn't see the SB without posting. 90% of my posts are because I saw in the SB that someone replied to a thread with an interesting title.

Gemquarry

The Inquirer
I for one would almost never post if I couldn't see the SB without posting. 90% of my posts are because I saw in the SB that someone replied to a thread with an interesting title.

Couldn't agree more! I actually had a conversation with ALIT about how I felt I wasn't fitting into this community very well, and he gave me advice I went and stuck by and it lead me to seeing the different threads people were posting to in the SB and interested me. I think altogether the SB has been something good for the forum and the community.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Before it was available for everyone, I was gonna suggest having a different chat channel were all the new members could conversate and stuff. I guess that would be odd though, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom