• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
They are emotes, Matt. 3 admins agreed to the deletion of the emotes. You act like we are all on some big conspiracy to ruin your fun. I get it, Matt, I really do. You don't like staff. Every little thing is power abuse. We are "censoring" you if we ignore you if you berate us for doing tiny changes. How are we ever going to get things done if we ask the community about every little tiny minor change? As long as we inform them of it, and they can give their opinion and perhaps certain changes can be reversed, I fail to see the issue. But you always have an issue, Matt. I'm tired of it, it's giving me a headache. But you'll get angry if we ignore you, right? There is literally no pleasing you. I'm done discussing this. Sorry, can't do this anymore. It's bad for my mental health.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
They are emotes, Matt. 3 admins agreed to the deletion of the emotes. You act like we are all on some big conspiracy to ruin your fun. I get it, Matt, I really do. You don't like staff. Every little thing is power abuse. We are "censoring" you if we ignore you if you berate us for doing tiny changes. How are we ever going to get things done if we ask the community about every little tiny minor change? As long as we inform them of it, and they can give their opinion and perhaps certain changes can be reversed, I fail to see the issue. But you always have an issue, Matt. I'm tired of it, it's giving me a headache. But you'll get angry if we ignore you, right? There is literally no pleasing you. I'm done discussing this. Sorry, can't do this anymore. It's bad for my mental health.
Maybe take a group of minor changes, like five, ten, at a time and talk about them as a group. That way you don't have to ask about every single little one. I think the very fact people are upset about this shows that it was not "minor" no matter how much you insist it was. And the staff have a responsibility to address the concerns of the community. If they're upset about a decision, then the absolute wrong thing to say is that it was your right to do so and that you'd find it annoying if you weren't able to do it. That is only ever going to make it worse. If you are having trouble handling the situation, then you can ask someone else to do it. You did just say three admins agreed to it. Ask them to justify this instead of you if you are being harmed by the stress. And berating me for annoying you doesn't help either. It's only going to help confirm suspicions of abuse of power. When someone confronts you on that claim, trying to get them to be silent about it is absolutely the wrong thing to do. You assumed you could do this without anyone getting upset. You were wrong. They were upset. Sitting there saying you were justified in what you did and attacking those who question that is never going to make the anger you're getting go away. And I'm rather puzzled that you seem to think it will. Again, if you are being harmed by the stress, just ask someone else to handle it.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I was wondering if it would be possible to add the emote list to the shoutbox again, so that every time I want to go look one up I don't need to open a thread in a separate tab.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Locke, myself and Kitsu all agreed on their deletion as well as the deletion of many other emotes. This is a Zelda and Pokemon board. We have deleted all emotes that aren't expressing emotion or related to Zelda and Pokemon. We have also kept some General Nintendo emotes.

Answer me this: Were all those emotes causing a technical problem? Because if they were, ignore the rest of this post. Because I can understand if it were a technical problem. But to delete half the emotes without a word to the community just because they didn't fit with the general theme of the website and call it "removing clutter" is pretty... for lack of a better word, stupid. If it's not broken, don't fix it. If it's not causing a technical problem, leave it alone. Please put them back if they weren't causing a technical problem.

And don't belittle other people's points by saying "they're just emotes", because that's both rude and not a way to get your point across.

Jamie

Locke and I both agreed we don't want this site to have awful emotes. Some of the emotes were gigantic and stretched out the shoutbox, some of it made the site look like Twitch.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is one of the most meaningless phrases. As a Web Developer, I recognize the importance of aesthetics. Things looking aesthetically pleasing are important to me, Locke, and other staff members. A giant picture of the cool emote with Iggy Koopas hair, or a picture of Miyamoto's face does not fit this criteria for me. Am I opposed to ever bringing them back? Not necessarily. Should we have discussed this with the community first? Perhaps. But I still assert that this was blown out of proportion. Aside from in the shoutbox, you can still use most of these "emotes" with the image tag. Something not being a "technical" problem does not mean it is not a problem.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Locke and I both agreed we don't want this site to have awful emotes. Some of the emotes were gigantic and stretched out the shoutbox, some of it made the site look like Twitch.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is one of the most meaningless phrases. As a Web Developer, I recognize the importance of aesthetics. Things looking aesthetically pleasing are important to me, Locke, and other staff members. A giant picture of the cool emote with Iggy Koopas hair, or a picture of Miyamoto's face does not fit this criteria for me. Am I opposed to ever bringing them back? Not necessarily. Should we have discussed this with the community first? Perhaps. But I still assert that this was blown out of proportion. Aside from in the shoutbox, you can still use most of these "emotes" with the image tag. Something not being a "technical" problem does not mean it is not a problem.

I'll give you the oversized emotes like Iggy and Ricky. But emotes like :chiba: and :senpaipls: were not oversized or ugly; heck, :senpaipls: conveyed emotion, which was part of your criteria for emotes to stay. If you were going to get rid of :senpaipls:, you may as well have gotten rid of :right: or :) too. Not to mention, using your own standards to judge what's aesthetically okay as opposed to the community as a whole is another thing wrong with how you guys handled this.

What I think you guys should do is put the emotes back to the way they were and then have the community decide what should stay and what should go. I don't think anyone can really complain if you do that for us. At least that would be fair.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff

Aesthetics are an opinion, not an objective fact. What looks good to you might not look good to someone else. Assuming everyone shares your tastes is a mistake. Using your tastes as justification for doing something without asking the community is a mistake. You can't just say things are "clutter" and expect people to accept that as an explanation. That is an opinion, not an objective fact. What you think of clutter can be very important to someone else. Had you asked instead, they probably would have agreed the ones that were not in-line and that expanded the area it took up could have gone. But you should have asked first. Especially about those that were not actually causing any kind of problem. And the people here clearly have had an issue with it. So repeatedly saying you should have just been able to do it without asking is not going to make them any less angry. And the very fact that it's not a technical problem means that it shouldn't just be done on your own because you think you can. If something is causing a legitimate, demonstrable technical problem, then people will understand. But it if is not, they're not going to accept an explanation that you thought you had the right to do it and that you thought it'd be problematic to ask about it.

Jamie

If we accidentally deleted some emotes that don't look bad, then please, by all means, suggest that they be added back.

Djinn

and Tonic
The emotes were removed for the same reason the gold emote uuploader was removed before, abuse and an oversaturation of emotes that did little but generate more and more complaints by the day. After a while of hearing the complaints the staff took it to heart and removed the ones deemed most off topic and least likely to be used in any form.

I was wondering if it would be possible to add the emote list to the shoutbox again, so that every time I want to go look one up I don't need to open a thread in a separate tab.

I would like this too but I am unaware if that can be accomplished with the current shoutbox.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
If we accidentally deleted some emotes that don't look bad, then please, by all means, suggest that they be added back.
Everyone cares about something. The reasoning "this is a zelda and pokemon forum" is not good enough. It has a general discussion section. That's not an acceptable reason. The safest bet is to add back all the emotes that were removed because you thought they were irrelevant. The only ones we're ever going to get universal agreement on are the ones that were too large, as that is a problem people can understand. I would suggest setting a clear guideline on how big they can get without messing up line spacing. That could help make sure oversized ones are not a problem.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Okay, thank you. Then I'll suggest:

:chiba:
:senpaipls:
:turtle:
:muffin: <- Leave that one alone. If you're leaving :eek:nion:, you might as well leave :muffin: too.
:metroid: Or was it :squishy: ? Either way, that one was okay, too.

That's all I can think to suggest at the moment.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Okay, thank you. Then I'll suggest:

:chiba:
:senpaipls:
:turtle:
:muffin: <- Leave that one alone. If you're leaving :eek:nion:, you might as well leave :muffin: too.
:metroid: Or was it :squishy: ? Either way, that one was okay, too.

That's all I can think to suggest at the moment.

To add to the list, all of the food emotes should stay and most of the emotes on the to be removed list should stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom