• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
And they are a part of how the forum community expresses themselves. I think if the community wants one of them then it couldn't hurt to keep it and it gives the community a sense of feeling like they're attached to what goes on behind the scenes.

the community expresses itself by become an anger

Fig

The Altruist
They're just emotes, guys...

The thing is, even something as small as emotes is huge representation for franchises and series that are not usually mentioned within the forum. Such franchises can include TV shows, anime, you name. There's a reason why people get ecstatic when something small is being represented in a big aspect. Take Super Smash Bros. for example. Xenoblade Chronicles is a small franchise, yet everyone who is and isn't a fan were excited to see Shulk be officially revealed for the latest installment in the Smash Bros. franchise.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
The thing is, even something as small as emotes is huge representation for franchises and series that are not usually mentioned within the forum. Such franchises can include TV shows, anime, you name. There's a reason why people get ecstatic when something small is being represented in a big aspect. Take Super Smash Bros. for example. Xenoblade Chronicles is a small franchise, yet everyone who is and isn't a fan were excited to see Shulk be officially revealed for the latest installment in the Smash Bros. franchise.

I think at the moment we have more important things to worry about than emotes. I think they should have been left alone atm, but whatever. I'm more interested in progression.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Oh just shut up about the DW emotes. All I've ever heard for a year and a half is near-constant complaining about the fact that they exist. Don't use this as a excuse to be mad at the staff.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think we can meet a middle ground. No horrible emotes that look visually horrendous, no pointless emotes, and no excessive emotes where one suffices to represent a certain franchise. Saying that, I disagree that only Zelda and Pokemon emotes should be kept, and I think Nintendo emotes are perfectly fine and apply to most of the forum's gaming interests. So anything Nintendo related should stay.

Thoughts?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
b738e23524.png

Please make this the new HN banner

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
As I said in my post, we decided to keep some General Nintendo emotes. I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill here though. I heard a couple people say something along the lines of "what happened to involving the community?"

They're emotes, guys. Emotes. And the staff team was, at least for a short while, berated for removing some emotes. I'll say this again: The current staff team is probably the best since I joined some 2 and a half years ago. I said this before my promotion, and I am still saying it afterwards. I'm sure if you were to ask Kitsu, a member since 2008, he would say the staff team is the best it's been for a long time. Again, he said these things prior to his promotion.

If we are going to be labelled as corrupt or power abusive or whatever because we deleted some emotes, so be it. They're not likely to come back. We deemed them to be unfit for the forum, so we deleted them.

We wanted an expand button on signatures, we added it. We wanted to update the forum, we did it. We wanted to delete some emotes? We did that, too. I do think many major decisions should be communicated to the userbase before acted upon, I do not think the administrators should do as we please when we please. However, if we become afraid of deleting some emotes because of backlash (seriously guys, they are tiny little images) nothing will ever get done in a timely fashion. Please keep this in mind in the future.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
As I said in my post, we decided to keep some General Nintendo emotes. I think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill here though. I heard a couple people say something along the lines of "what happened to involving the community?"

They're emotes, guys. Emotes. And the staff team was, at least for a short while, berated for removing some emotes. I'll say this again: The current staff team is probably the best since I joined some 2 and a half years ago. I said this before my promotion, and I am still saying it afterwards. I'm sure if you were to ask Kitsu, a member since 2008, he would say the staff team is the best it's been for a long time. Again, he said these things prior to his promotion.

If we are going to be labelled as corrupt or power abusive or whatever because we deleted some emotes, so be it. They're not likely to come back. We deemed them to be unfit for the forum, so we deleted them.

We wanted an expand button on signatures, we added it. We wanted to update the forum, we did it. We wanted to delete some emotes? We did that, too. I do think many major decisions should be communicated to the userbase before acted upon, I do not think the administrators should do as we please when we please. However, if we become afraid of deleting some emotes because of backlash (seriously guys, they are tiny little images) nothing will ever get done in a timely fashion. Please keep this in mind in the future.

Nobody is saying that there is any abuse of power or anything against the current staff. We're just stating our suggestions in the appropriate place. What is the point in a suggestions thread where we can't suggest stuff (big or small) without being told that by doing so we are in some way demeaning the forum staff? After all, all this is is a suggestions thread, you don't have to accept our suggestions.

Jamie

Except, people did say that. Maybe not in this thread, but it was said. My example was from the chatbox. And some people in this thread still seemed to get genuinely frustrated. Over some emotes. How could we ever get things done if we need to make a thread about everything? One week thread for emotes, one week thread about changing the look of an icon, we will never get anything done. I don't mind people suggesting we keep or add an emote back but I do mind when people insult the staff for deleting some emotes, which did happen.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Except, people did say that. Maybe not in this thread, but it was said. My example was from the chatbox. And some people in this thread still seemed to get genuinely frustrated. Over some emotes. How could we ever get things done if we need to make a thread about everything? One week thread for emotes, one week thread about changing the look of an icon, we will never get anything done. I don't mind people suggesting we keep or add an emote back but I do mind when people insult the staff for deleting some emotes, which did happen.

People usually become frustrated when there is any change, it's basic human psychology. It's not wrong to question why something is done. This also isn't the place to talk to or punish those who insult the staff, that should be done by PM to those specific people. By posting here you made it seem like anybody here who said anything about the emotes was on some rant against the staff.

Jamie

My post did refer to certain people in this thread, yes. I did not say "everyone" though, as many have approached this in a mature manner. However, no one was punished, because they didn't break any rules. I am giving my opinion on the matter as an individual just like anyone else.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Will copypaste this here so it "officialy " a suggestion from me.

And i tried to keep the sinking ship afloat too multiple times. Especialy the second purge which was the most intense one. All of the HN were involved too because the HK section became too fierce, which rarely happens. Some of the HN (including me) discussed this for days in the staff chat. Because the normal members accused the HK for their abuse of their rank, while the HK accused the staff for abusing their rank of trying to purge things. So we were the only ones with a neutral position and basicly played "judges"

The first concept and purpose of HK was not bad to begin with. Neither was the second purpose, which was a more simple and degraded version of the first but with higher requirements and stricter rules. Also it completely became a seprate rank, as in that Mods and HN didn't had acces to HK by default.

Like you said "it causes hostility by its mere presence" which is true but, the HK caused this themselfs. They ruined their own reputation. Why isn't there barely any hostility against HN? The only hostility we get from time to time is because people often think that the HN is an upgraded HK, because of the naming. Which frankly im tired explaining it multiple times thats not the case, dispite its on the FAQ & Rules thread.

-------------------

And as for Rep, you want a suggestion or solution?

you wanted to start from scratch right? First of all, get away from the name "Hylian Knight". No matter how many purges or how much the purpose changes, the rank itself is tainted and caused a bad reputation for themselfs. If you have a really good idea that actualy needs to be a rank, come up with a different name. And ditch the whole "Hylian [insert somthing here] " thing. Name it something more realistic and straitforeward. Also, please rename the HN into "Senior" or "Hall of Fame" or something.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Also when it comes to new emotes being added, I always liked the idea of an emote suggestion thread and only approved emotes will be implemented. I wanted this back when we had the emote upload feature. It doesn't have to be nothing formal or anything, emotes are just fun trivial things that are nice to use in conversation.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff

I seriously doubt that saying you have the right to do as you wish because it's annoying if you can't, is going to convince people you're not abusing your power. Generally that actually has the opposite effect. Even if I agreed the emotes needed cleanup, on which I'm undecided, you still shouldn't have done this on your own without asking the community. And you ABSOLUTELY shouldn't have justified by saying it was your right to do so because of your position. That is only going to confirm people's suspicions of you abusing your position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom