• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Fig

The Altruist
Is there some a way that you guys could remove the stopgap between the log in and the logged in forums pages? There's this pseudo-logged in page in-between the two aforesaid pages—that appears after the "thank you for logging in, [member]" message—that makes it look as though you're logged in, but not really. The If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. message is there as well.

It's been there for a while now, but I can't seem to pinpoint when it began showing up. However, it has become quite bothersome.

If you are talking about those pages and when they have existed, they have been hear for several years really. I remember seeing them when I first joined the forums. The only reason why I don't see them any more simply because I clicked on the "Remember Me " box before logging in. That's why even if I close ZD and open a new ZD tab, I don't need to log in again.

Clank

Hmm
Is there some a way that you guys could remove the stopgap between the log in and the logged in forums pages? There's this pseudo-logged in page in-between the two aforesaid pages—that appears after the "thank you for logging in, [member]" message—that makes it look as though you're logged in, but not really. The If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. message is there as well.

It's been there for a while now, but I can't seem to pinpoint when it began showing up. However, it has become quite bothersome.

I've never actually had the issue that you describe and I tend to log in and out quite a bit. Does the issue persist after you clear your cookies?

It sounds like it is probably a cache issue, but I'm not positive about that.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Is there anyway that we could revive the Article Section? I thought it was a great way to get the forum community involved with the main site.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Rep said:
So who is going to be promoted as article editor? Oh, this guy writes a lot of articles. Let's make him article editor. Okay, problem solved, right? Wrong. Article editing abilities and article writing abilities are two completely different things. So I am truly hoping there is a long, intelligent discussion over who should take this position, with perhaps a lot of the common article writer's opinions being taken into account, not just a random promotion.
Article Writing and Article Editing go hand in hand in my opinion and that's why the editors were also the main article writers. Anyone who is an experienced writer has knowledge of what an article needs to look like and how it needs to be presented, thus that's why they can edit sufficiently. The problem is that the active Article Editors aren't active anymore and the Arctic Section revolved around Axle with no plan b.

All that needs to be done is some form of quality control: person uploads their article, any pseudo editors can look over the article and offer their tips/suggestions, one of the main editors helps improve article in terms of quality and substance, article then goes through final stages and is approved by the chief editor. Thing is, now these stages don't exist and that's the problem. Also we can't just rely on one person like the last time with Axle, don't get me wrong, he's a great editor, but he's not the only person who can do it. There should be multiple people to share the workload.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Article Writing and Article Editing go hand in hand in my opinion and that's why the editors were also the main article writers. Anyone who is an experienced writer has knowledge of what an article needs to look like and how it needs to be presented, thus that's why they can edit sufficiently. The problem is that the active Article Editors aren't active anymore and the Arctic Section revolved around Axle with no plan b.

Sorry, I don't mean we should promote someone who has no experience, I just mean instead of promoting someone at random because they write good articles, it would be better to have input from the article writers and not just Locke and company.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Sorry, I don't mean we should promote someone who has no experience, I just mean instead of promoting someone at random because they write good articles, it would be better to have input from the article writers and not just Locke and company.
Yeah I get you. Really though, I thought the editing process was quite poor before anyway simply because of the lack of Editors. Luckily enough mine got done within a month thanks to Garo and Axle helping out, but that wasn't always the case with other articles. There needs to be a good system filled with dedicated editors from those who just help out to those who properly edit the article for publication on the main site. If some kind of overhaul does happen what can't happen is relying on one person because that never works. Now that the HK system has been fixed (well we'll see), it would be great to revive another section from the dead.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Yeah I get you. Really though, I thought the editing process was quite poor before anyway simply because of the lack of Editors. Luckily enough mine got done within a month thanks to Garo and Axle helping out, but that wasn't always the case with other articles. There needs to be a good system filled with dedicated editors from those who just help out to those who properly edit the article for publication on the main site. If some kind of overhaul does happen what can't happen is relying on one person because that never works. Now that the HK system has been fixed (well we'll see), it would be great to revive another section from the dead.

I could be an editor. I am good at looking over written materials and checking for mistakes.

If you are talking about those pages and when they have existed, they have been hear for several years really. I remember seeing them when I first joined the forums. The only reason why I don't see them any more simply because I clicked on the "Remember Me " box before logging in. That's why even if I close ZD and open a new ZD tab, I don't need to log in again.
As a person who has been a visitor to over five hundred password-protected websites over the past ten years or so, I am well-versed on the use of the "Remember Me" function. As such, I know with one-hundred percent certainty that this isn't the issue I am having. Your input is very much appreciated, however.
I've never actually had the issue that you describe and I tend to log in and out quite a bit. Does the issue persist after you clear your cookies?

It sounds like it is probably a cache issue, but I'm not positive about that.

I would know if the problem were the result of my clearing my cookies and cache, or if clearing my cookies/cache provided a fix to the problem. These two things are the first solutions I took into account. Although, it may correlate with my use of a tablet; I have no alternative means to log on just to make sure, though.

Sigh. Perhaps it is just a tablet-related issue of unknown origin, and it may not be related to the site at all. I still plan to continue looking into it on my end. Thank you for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom