• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I agree with Seth and Kitsu on the Sr. Quaffler matter.

And HoT, that's exactly what I did with Vee. I spoke to her about that because it is necessary for us to be able to do stuff like that on our own and not have to rely on them so much. Plus, most of the time they are not around when they are needed, and I dislike bothering them all the time too.

I'll probably stop using a sign up thread and post the next competition info in the voting poll itself. ;)

Dan

That reminds me, is there anyway to do this with signatures and to have it optional? It's not like it's a huge problem or anything, but sometimes I'd like to have the option to not show signatures (other people's signatures I mean).

No there isn't, not to mention if such a feature were implemented then it should not apply to my signature as it is sexy.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I actually messaged Locke and Thar both a while ago asking if Competition Leaders could be given minor mod powers in the competition forum. Just the ability to give out awards and sticky threads would be nice so that we don't have to ask every single time. It's not that much of a pain to get a mod, really, but that would simply remove a step in the process.

I also agree that sign-ups shouldn't be necessary, though, haha. If you wanted, you could start adding the contestants' names to the thread's original post after they submit their work. Should serve the same purpose.
I want to make it clear sign ups are NOT a must. You are free to use them if you want but it is not a MUST.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Heroine of Time said:
I actually messaged Locke and Thar both a while ago asking if Competition Leaders could be given minor mod powers in the competition forum. Just the ability to give out awards and sticky threads would be nice so that we don't have to ask every single time. It's not that much of a pain to get a mod, really, but that would simply remove a step in the process.

I also agree that sign-ups shouldn't be necessary, though, haha. If you wanted, you could start adding the contestants' names to the thread's original post after they submit their work. Should serve the same purpose.
Hmm, even though I have no say in this, I do think non mod comp leaders should have said abilities. I'm sure this is what used to happen in the Article Centre with the editors - they'd be pseudo mods and have the ability to lock/open and sticky threads but only within that specific section of the forum.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I thought "Like" communicates agreement more than "Yeah". I suppose in the sense that yeah = yes I'm wrong. But I always thought it was awkward to 'like' a post I didn't really like but thought was well-constructed.

I was also thinking of adding a "Nah" button as a way of gently expressing distaste toward a post without articulating as much in a new reply. No notifications or postbit counts. Think that's a bad idea? I certainly have misgivings.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I want to make it clear sign ups are NOT a must. You are free to use them if you want but it is not a MUST.

Then I will probably keep using, as that is the style I am most comfortable with getting the message (the next competition's info across) to members. I use two phases.

1) Sign ups with some of the information provided, as well as other announcements I may have in mind saying.
2) The voting thread itself with the entries and rules/guidelines

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmm I think it is nothing more than fair to indeed give competition leaders who are non-mods more powers. That way it is easier for them to open/close stick/unstick their threads and able to hand out awards themselves without asking a mod everytime to do this.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
That reminds me, is there anyway to do this with signatures and to have it optional? It's not like it's a huge problem or anything, but sometimes I'd like to have the option to not show signatures (other people's signatures I mean).
You can turn off showing signatures in your settings, actually. Unless you were looking to turn off the signatures of only a few select people?

I thought "Like" communicates agreement more than "Yeah". I suppose in the sense that yeah = yes I'm wrong. But I always thought it was awkward to 'like' a post I didn't really like but thought was well-constructed.

I was also thinking of adding a "Nah" button as a way of gently expressing distaste toward a post without articulating as much in a new reply. No notifications or postbit counts. Think that's a bad idea? I certainly have misgivings.

0fb.gif

Ganondork

goo
Hmm, even though I have no say in this, I do think non mod comp leaders should have said abilities. I'm sure this is what used to happen in the Article Centre with the editors - they'd be pseudo mods and have the ability to lock/open and sticky threads but only within that specific section of the forum.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. We were able to change tags to show a change in the publishing process, as well as lock them once they were published. It could work out with competition leaders.

Dan

I've seen some forums which use different methods of "rating" a post by allowing for more than a simple Yes or No option. You could rate a post Funny, informative, Agree, Disagree, Artistic, Useful, Friendly, Winner, Dumb, Troll, and Zing, I'm sure there were a few more options. I think some of those options are a bit excessive such as winner unless used in a certain context for a specific thread like competition. That system makes more sense than what we currently have, considering liking a post can be for a whole host of reasons, in which the original poster will never know why you liked the post in the first place, although if a post was specificity written as a joke then they may have a faint idea. ;p
I think an even better method would be allowing a user to like a post and then write a short snippet as to why they liked it, thus the original poster gets some accurate feedback.

I'm not sure if negative ratings would swing well here, I could see it simply spawning more drama.

I don't have the authority to make that decision.

Quaffler and Vanessa do their jobs just fine. I doubt we need more...

Actions by Sir Q in the past 24 hours:
  1. Made notions of "cleaning house" in a Skype conversation (http://pastebin.com/UuPnd2bg)
  2. Locked Repentance's thread after it was already moved by Vanessa prior. Told me is was a 'tough decision' after calling it out to him in a private channel
  3. Infracted Kitsu for "Improper Profile" (details)
  4. Infracted Big Octo for writing "drug of time" (referring to Lord Vain?) in the shoutbox. {note Sir Q's ties to Lord Vain} (details)
  5. Infracted Gobli for using the word "stupid" (this is after it was addressed by Repentance) (details)
  6. Changed user title to "is done screwing around" (giving emphasis to aggressive behavior)

Explain that to me! How is this "fine"?

Last edited:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General

6tkRSvq.jpg

Ganondork

goo
Actions by Sir Q in the past 24 hours:
  1. Made notions of "cleaning house" in a Skype conversation (http://pastebin.com/UuPnd2bg)
  2. Locked Repentance's thread after it was already moved by Vanessa prior. Told me is was a 'tough decision' after calling it out to him in a private channel
  3. Infracted Kitsu for "Improper Profile" (details)
  4. Infracted Big Octo for writing "drug of time" (referring to Lord Vain?) in the shoutbox. {note Sir Q's ties to Lord Vain} (details)
  5. Infracted Gobli for using the word "stupid" (this is after it was addressed by Repentance) (details)
  6. Changed user title to "is done screwing around" (giving emphasis to aggressive behavior)

Explain that to me! How is this "fine"?

1. I see that as actually taking care of pending moderation
2. I think the Writing forum is meant to be a serious place, and that was not the least bit serious. You can't even make the case that it was satire, because if it was, it was poor satire. And it does deserve to be a blog entry instead.
3. Profile violations were done in the past to members who made their profiles entirely white. It's a rule that simply wasn't enforced until now.
4. "Lord Vain talks to his ****. He calls it Blood Shadow and types with it," should certainly be an infraction. That is beyond inapporpriate.
5. I'm iffy on this, but his smug attitude that was reinforced with the :cool: emote is far from appropriate behavior.
6. I see that as, "Is done messing around and is actually going to enforce the rules."

People have been saying mods need to enforce the rules, but it's interesting because when it's actually done, people complain. You can't cry bias because Gobli is not associated with Kitsu, and Big Octo is also in his own group.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
For the record, I actually did report Goblis post as I report many posts I find to be offensive. If I ever offend you I hope you report me as well as it is what the report button is for. This does not mean I wished for Gobli to be infracted or even warned. I simply followed the proper procedure is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom