• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

F

Faeldspr

One idea I think would be good is some sort of 100% completion app. There could be an app for each game, or one app with all of them in.
The way this would work would be that there would be sections for Pieces of Heart, trading sequence items etc. In each section would be all of the respective items, with a screenshot, details on how to obtain and a checkbox/radio button.
These would allow the user to say they had done that bit, thereby making it easier to track progress.
I could probably create something for PC, but I don't have an Android device, or a Mac so I can't really develop for mobile.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Hmm...I'm still advocating the idea of a Zelda Dungeon video competition. While my own group has reached very, very little success, I feel a full-scale blowout of news would attract so many people just for the gold. :)

This really does need to be taken into consideration. It certainly has the potential for great things. A wider means of attraction is what is needed.

Djinn

and Tonic
Is there any way to organise the emotes list into groups or anything? It's become extremely cluttered what with the upload feature being present. Grouping them into themes that fit together (eg. Zelda, Doctor Who) would be nice.

There is an option to upload smilie category that is just not turned on. Actually forming them into categories the old fashioned way required an admin.

Hmm...I'm still advocating the idea of a Zelda Dungeon video competition. While my own group has reached very, very little success, I feel a full-scale blowout of news would attract so many people just for the gold. :)

The competitions are somewhat slowing down and I think a video competition might have the smallest amount of interest overall. There have been a few suggestions for them in the past, it is just that not many have gotten on board for it so far.

One idea I think would be good is some sort of 100% completion app. There could be an app for each game, or one app with all of them in.
The way this would work would be that there would be sections for Pieces of Heart, trading sequence items etc. In each section would be all of the respective items, with a screenshot, details on how to obtain and a checkbox/radio button.
These would allow the user to say they had done that bit, thereby making it easier to track progress.
I could probably create something for PC, but I don't have an Android device, or a Mac so I can't really develop for mobile.

Sounds interesting, only thing is that we need someone to make that and I am not too sure who can and will accomplish it.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
The competitions are somewhat slowing down and I think a video competition might have the smallest amount of interest overall. There have been a few suggestions for them in the past, it is just that not many have gotten on board for it so far.

Ventus, Wolf Sage and I have had a talk in the shoutbox regarding the creation of a video competition discussion thread. It has been approved and now are waiting for Ventus (who would be the competition leader) to make it. Such a thread would provide the general thought of the idea and allow for changes for what has already been done in the group section. Let us wait...

Last edited:
Forum spam-esque section in conjunction with the current Forum Games board that would allow for some degree of...well...forum spam-esque topics such as "What If Zelda Was A Whale?" or "What If Ganondorf Was A Crossdresser?," please...

Much like the Forum Games board, such a hypothetical section would still adhere to the rules of the forums at large but allow for silly topics that do not belong anywhere else on the forums. I've seen this kind of thing on other forum sites as well, so if anything, I thought you guys could at least give it a trial run. A positive would be that it keeps such "rubbish" from the forum proper...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So I feel that sometimes a lot of good threads, no even great threads succumb to big debates, now debates are fine however when a thread gets severely overtaken by ping pong posts back and fourth it heavily discourages continued discussion and it can be hard for members to actually post during said debate. There is also many occasions when debates get severely off topic again leading to the same consequences as I said before.

Now this can happen to anyone, he'll I'm no angel, I've gotten into many discussions like these before however I feel that maybe something can be done to counteract this more efficiently. This could even work for spam, troll posts etc. So how about system where a mod could have the power to ban someone from entering said thread, basically not allowing them to continue in that current discussion once it goes too far... If discussion returns and that person decides to resume with a good ol discussion then maybe they could be allowed back in.

So I feel that sometimes a lot of good threads, no even great threads succumb to big debates, now debates are fine however when a thread gets severely overtaken by ping pong posts back and fourth it heavily discourages continued discussion and it can be hard for members to actually post during said debate. There is also many occasions when debates get severely off topic again leading to the same consequences as I said before.

Now this can happen to anyone, he'll I'm no angel, I've gotten into many discussions like these before however I feel that maybe something can be done to counteract this more efficiently. This could even work for spam, troll posts etc. So how about system where a mod could have the power to ban someone from entering said thread, basically not allowing them to continue in that current discussion once it goes too far... If discussion returns and that person decides to resume with a good ol discussion then maybe they could be allowed back in.

This would certainly help a thread stay open instead of being locked because of an argument or going off topic. Most threads offer some really good discussion on the topic but a lot of them are locked and closed preventing any other members from discussing said topic. Barring certain members from the threads in question after warning would be a better alternative to the thread as a whole being locked.

This is a decent idea if its possible to do so.

Danny Auto said:

The issue is, we don't want to eliminate the element of debating all the way. Debating in itself is fine, and as long as it is done in a civilized manner, it should be deemed as acceptable. The problem is, we--that's the royal we--are finding ourselves debating in threads that should not have anything of the sort occurring (for example: some threads, such as "Your Favorite Zelda Character" is asking for opinions, but not for them to be challenged). Not only this, but the manner in which some of us go about it, we aren't just challenging an opinion, we are hurting the person giving the opinion--which is not okay.

Danny Auto said:
This could even work for spam, troll posts etc. So how about system where a mod could have the power to ban someone from entering said thread, basically not allowing them to continue in that current discussion once it goes too far... If discussion returns and that person decides to resume with a good ol discussion then maybe they could be allowed back in.
Rutherfordium said:
This would certainly help a thread stay open instead of being locked because of an argument or going off topic. Most threads offer some really good discussion on the topic but a lot of them are locked and closed preventing any other members from discussing said topic. Barring certain members from the threads in question after warning would be a better alternative to the thread as a whole being locked.

While sometimes it seems like a certain member needs to be removed from a thread environment, I do not believe there is a way to just restrict his or her permissions from a single thread. The furthest down you can restrict, I believe, is a forum [sub]section, and I feel that should not be done unless by request of that particular member. I don't want our forums to be debate-free, I really don't. I just wish they wouldn't become so... violent in the aspect that we end up with a bunch of derailed discussions that initially had great potential.

Let me provide a quote from the old rules of the Zelda Dungeon Forums:

Remember, this is a community forum and there will always be different opinions. All members are entitled to their own opinion as long as it does not break any rules. (Rule #4, don't flame somebody for having a different opinion). Especially take this into account within the Theorizing area of the forums, as well as the Mature Discussion. In both cases, there are hardly ever any concrete answers and things can always be interpreted differently. Let's try to be fair towards all members while also be constructive.
The issue now, though, is that the person who makes a remark about someone's opinion isn't necessarily to blame for everything. Especially if it is done in a manner that would be viewed as non-offensive. Some members cannot stand being challenged, so they have the need to retaliate--whether it be because they dislike the person who challenged them or decide that no debating should exist whatsoever. This is a forum, we are supposed to discuss things. Debating naturally comes as a part of that. If you take that away, we're going to have a crumbling foundation in every aspect of the message board.

Could we tone down the debating? Most-definitely. The issue is, when a moderator steps in and says "guys, let's get back on-topic" or something of the sort, some members are so deep into an argument that they totally disregard anything not related to the debate--including what the moderator had to say. This goes into how while members are to be treated equal, there seems to be a handful of people who treat the moderation staff as if they are powerless and that dominoes into a bunch of other forum issues that we've been having lately, as well.

I think the best thing at this point is probably re-writing a large chunk of the rule section to accommodate several arising issues. When the rules were rewritten back in 2010, it was a different community in the aspect of the way members presented themselves. We need to make rules for this group of people--the ones present now--not back in 2010. And to be honest, I think anyone who uses this forum should be allowed to contribute to ideas to include on the new rules--if we are to actually revamp them. Why? Because we are all affected by the rules, and it would eliminate the need to complain about them. From there, we could deal with a method of dealing with the issue of debating and how to handle it when it goes too far... Of course, we wouldn't just go about adding stuff willy-nilly; rather, give and take. The forum staff would have to supervise the whole ordeal, of course.

Here is an example of a discussion where people should be allowed to comment on someones idea/opinion and critique and add to it. Ever hear of a Socratic Seminar? I think we should go about doing this with the notion of that method in mind.

...Ideas? ...Opinions on this? Do I smell a major forum reformation in the process...reforumation?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Mandym287 said:
And to be honest, I think anyone who uses this forum should be allowed to contribute to ideas to include on the new rules--if we are to actually revamp them. Why? Because we are all affected by the rules, and it would eliminate the need to complain about them. From there, we could deal with a method of dealing with the issue of debating and how to handle it when it goes too far... Of course, we wouldn't just go about adding stuff willy-nilly; rather, give and take. The forum staff would have to supervise the whole ordeal, of course.

I think that generally we should "as a whole community" be able to have equal views and even the power to initiate change, if more of the community tries to support general claims in this thread then things actually might start to change for the better.

Mandym287 said:
Could we tone down the debating? Most-definitely. The issue is, when a moderator steps in and says "guys, let's get back on-topic" or something of the sort, some members are so deep into an argument that they totally disregard anything not related to the debate--including what the moderator had to say. This goes into how while members are to be treated equal, there seems to be a handful of people who treat the moderation staff as if they are powerless and that dominoes into a bunch of other forum issues that we've been having lately, as well.
I think this was my main gripe regarding certain members generally not taking the mods advice to discontinue, either non relevant discussion or too heated discussions. Plus it seems the message never gets through, if a member is repeatedly told then you would think that they would avoid said situation in the future, however yet in several threads we see the same kind of discussions get out of hand. Locking a decent thread, like Spirit said, is not the best way to counter this as in the end of the day it completely "halts" discussion.

The object isn't to completely stop discussion as this is what fuels some great threads but it's when these discussions get out of hand. I have noticed this a lot and it seems no matter how many times a mod steps in people just continue to disregard the rules and either continue posting or repeat the offence in a future thread. I feel this could definitely stop a lot of the posters on this site from actually posting as they may be reluctant to get involved in these heated debates. Whether it's bannin a member from that thread or another form of discipline, I just think that this is one thing that definitely needs to be tackled sooner rather than later.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Lol double post :/

Anyway I feel the uploading emote system is kinda redundant, I mean it's all well and good giving the freedom to members to upload emotes and it makes for a lot of variety but I feel it is just too accessible and frankly too easy to abuse they system. To be honest I wasn't a fan from the beginning and I can guess I'm a hypocrite for uploading one of the most pointless emotes ever, but I did this for more of an example than anything else.

Having more emotes is certainly good but there is such a thing as too many and more specifically too many non-relevant emotes, now don't get me wrong I think some of the emotes are quite funny but I just see this going downhill. I think a more efficient way to handle emote uploading among the community would be to have a thread dedicated to suggestions. That thread would be handled by a mod and people could approve of the emote and at the end of the day if a majority approves then it should be uploaded. This would make it more of a rarity and a new emote would be more appreciated and it would generally increase the quality of the emotes among the site. Just an idea...

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Remove custom emotes, personally whenever I see one I automatically assume that the SB is half-dead since there really is nothing left to do but to spam custom (overused) emotes.

oh and removal of all restrictions and rules from the MD board would be nice, just let people debate about whatever they want without any censoring and if you are worried about youngsters getting scared then just put an age barrier. At the moment it is very limited about how far you can go in a topic and how detailed you can become in your posts just because there is a tiny chance a 12 year old might get scared of the F-word or Sexual topics.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is a suggestion for the shoutbox really...recently I've seen a lot of bad behavior and mods weren't on to deal with it when it happened, but only afterwards. I know - the moderators have lives and other things to do than moderate a silly online pub...and it's for that reason that I want to suggest allowing the "arbiters" concept to return. If I recall correctly, Hylian Nobles back in the old days had pseudo-mod powers in that they were allowed to edit shouts. I wonder, what would it be like if Hylian Knights had that ability today? As role models, we're supposed to show people how to behave, but there are times where all we can do is just sit back which is NOT proactive. I know, the idea WILL get abused in the future but the idea is to squash nasty behavior in the SB as it is happening rather than wait for punishment to be dealt.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Ventus said:
This is a suggestion for the shoutbox really...recently I've seen a lot of bad behavior and mods weren't on to deal with it when it happened, but only afterwards. I know - the moderators have lives and other things to do than moderate a silly online pub...and it's for that reason that I want to suggest allowing the "arbiters" concept to return. If I recall correctly, Hylian Nobles back in the old days had pseudo-mod powers in that they were allowed to edit shouts. I wonder, what would it be like if Hylian Knights had that ability today? As role models, we're supposed to show people how to behave, but there are times where all we can do is just sit back which is NOT proactive. I know, the idea WILL get abused in the future but the idea is to squash nasty behavior in the SB as it is happening rather than wait for punishment to be dealt.

lol hks are already mini mods

I like this idea, but I would NOT let HKs handle things in the SB. I already know some HKs aren't exactly role models per say, so the last thing I'd ever want is people playing the "corruption" card. I believe it'd be best if it were a completely separate usergroup. Sure, it'd be a small usergroup, but at least it can be give to the utmost responsible users.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I have a problem with these smiley uploads. Some of them are really bad and a lot of them have no point of being on this site. I think that they should have more strict rules on the smiley uploads, and have the admin or moderators approve the uploads. Or they can just take out the option to upload smileys.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I like this idea, but I would NOT let HKs handle things in the SB. I already know some HKs aren't exactly role models per say, so the last thing I'd ever want is people playing the "corruption" card. I believe it'd be best if it were a completely separate usergroup. Sure, it'd be a small usergroup, but at least it can be give to the utmost responsible users.

Do remember that we've even had Admins screw with MAJOR things on purpose. You know, the people who actually sign contracts and shizzles. The whole purpose of minimodding is to, well, check on things when mods can't. And, since HKs already review each others' behaviors nonstop, what would be a better group?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom