• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Austin

Austin
VMs are made for short quick messages. They can even be chat like sentences if wanted. Therefore I feel no need for an extension on the limit.

Hero of Time said:
I believe the character limit needs to be increased. I just sent a vm saying "the villains of Twilight Princess" and it got past the limit.
A horrible example. Visitor messages are pretty much meant to be short.

To ensure posts are higher in quality the limit needs to be higher. Being able to post the subject of a sentence and getting past the limit just isn't enough.
I fail to see how you came to this conclusion. Think about it logically for a bit. Will increasing the character requirement really improve the quality of posts? No. It won't. At all. Forcing a stronger character limit upon a crowd that's already been through this leniency for at least a year now will probably do nothing but encourage finding other ways to bypass the limit, or just not posting at all.

I think the problem with most people who believe in having a bigger character requirement is that they don't think about all the possibilities that can happen if the limit were to increase. The higher character requirement may increase the quality in posts; that would be good, excellent, even. However, it can also discourage people from posting because they're so used to just thirty characters. Though I would like to see a higher character requirement, I already know one thing:

The character requirement is fine as it is.

Visitor messages are supposed to be short, and that's one way people communicate with others on the forums. They're fast and simple communication. Forum Games, the section that dominates all others in forum activity, only needs these short responses.

tl;dr
The character requirement is fine as it is.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Okay, I think I have an idea.

So I am sure you all agree that aside from the user title glows and colours, the market doesn't really have much to offer. Well I have an idea that may change that.

You see, I was peering over my dad's shoulder whilst he was on this random website. It had a market type system, like we do. But you could buy things called "user badges." Basically you had an avatar for a person, then maybe a user title and some info about posts and whatnot, but then there were these little icons that personalized their profile.

User badges are little icons in the shape of what they represent and can be purchased using a market type system. The examples of the ones I saw on this other site include: Harry Potter houses, religion, parent of so many children, what bands you like, world flags, books/games/films you are into and more.

And obviously this being a Zelda site we could have even more! Perhaps ones to do with which game we like/have completed etc. There are a lot of possible ideas for user badges out there. I just think it would be a nice way to personalize our profiles and put some more good things in the market.

Okay, I think I have an idea.

So I am sure you all agree that aside from the user title glows and colours, the market doesn't really have much to offer. Well I have an idea that may change that.

You see, I was peering over my dad's shoulder whilst he was on this random website. It had a market type system, like we do. But you could buy things called "user badges." Basically you had an avatar for a person, then maybe a user title and some info about posts and whatnot, but then there were these little icons that personalized their profile.

User badges are little icons in the shape of what they represent and can be purchased using a market type system. The examples of the ones I saw on this other site include: Harry Potter houses, religion, parent of so many children, what bands you like, world flags, books/games/films you are into and more.

And obviously this being a Zelda site we could have even more! Perhaps ones to do with which game we like/have completed etc. There are a lot of possible ideas for user badges out there. I just think it would be a nice way to personalize our profiles and put some more good things in the market.

I really like this idea. Are the badges like the thing that says "MEMBER" or do they go somewhere else?

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I really like this idea. Are the badges like the thing that says "MEMBER" or do they go somewhere else?

They'd go below your avatar as little icons, but you are only allowed a limited number of them. So they fit in a row and don't crowd up. Here is the first example I could find, from the website boardgamegeek. Some of the badges are specific to the site, though.

badgeideathing.jpg

EDIT: Another example.

badgeideathing2.jpg

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Sounds like a great idea Meego. The market is a pointless waste of space right now. It should be given some sort of meaning, even if only temporarily.

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Well, I went to this forum and they give out awards of characters to members because, they know the most or what happens in Zelda, but I will show you example once I find a perfect example

Djinn

and Tonic
I have mentioned a want for something new for the market a couple times in the past, mostly just in the shoutbox and never really in a thread or to a specific member as a suggestion. I was mainly looking over a couple here. With the awards here. And I thought a few of those things would be fun, it does not have to be Zelda related things like before but some of these market packages allow for members to buy badges for other members. The only forum I have seen it used only did not allow someone to buy one for themselves. Only as a gift for others.

I really think there should be some more use to the points, a lot of us have a huge amount of them now. There should be something we can do with them. I think the badges idea is a good solution.

May I sugggest a ZD Hall of Fame? It has the members who contributed the most to ZD. If it was in the forums, the walkthrough parts, and members who stayed here the longest. They only have to do one of those to get nominated. People like Mases could go in the hall of fame because he created ZD and stayed here for six years. It could be in the quick links. The voting would be based on those things. Members who deleted their accounts, if they were in the hall of fame, stay in the hall of fame. The hall of fame would be like this:
Username
Date nominated
Reason for being in the Hall of Fame
Date profile deleted (If account is deleted.)

Anybody could be in the hall of fame. No matter how low their reputation.
Rules:
1. You must have been a member for five years to be in it.
2.Any Member, Administrator, Moderator, Hylian Noble, Hylian Knight, Staff member, Super Moderator, or Hylian Prince (That means you, Josh.)can be in if they followed the rules.
3.If you take advantage of being in the hall of fame, you will be removed from it. Example:Member 1: Hey Member 2!
Member 2: I'm in the hall of fame and your not!
Member 1: Cool but you don't have to brag about it.
Member 2: That means you are loser.
Moderator's Private message to member 2: You have been removed from the hall of fame due to mocking others about it. You will also recieve a 2nd degree flaming infraction as well.
Sorry if this already has been suggested. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom