• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Kybyrian

Hey I was wondering if it would be a good idea if ZD got Clans Like ZU and LoZ.com. Its just a thought

The forum groups feature offers the ability for users to create groups for other users to join. Right now their only purpose is as a social feature, and we don't have any intention of adding clans.

Austin

Austin
erm... i would like to see a moblie version, because on Android , such as the Galaxy S , i find it really hard to click on certain links such as the the links in the forums, i have posted a few times off it but it is just to much of a hastle , maybe a simpler version of the site, for mobiles. I am for a Moblie version of a site, so please can we have one, and i do really think it will make alot a users use this a bit more. Thanks. Maybe if we start some kind of poll, to see if people DO want a moblie version of the site because i am sure quite a few people would appreciate that feature, i know i would so again thanks

Another thing i would like to see, i think i would like to propose is that we enforce the fact that the "Spoilers" prefix used alot more, because i am worried that coming onto this site , after skyward sword is released is the fact that someone might spoil a part of a game, maybe some of the moderators could enforce this, like if its something serious like lets say "Ganon kills link" or something like that , but also things a little less important, you may argue whats the point of coming on a Zelda site then , because thats where you discuss Zelda games, so you cant discuss them with out spoilers. But games like Ocarina of Time, which if you have't played why are you here, have no need for these spoiler titles because the game is so old, but you could argue again that some people havn't played this, but in that case maybe that people could put the spoiler titles for serious spoilers such as... i wont say. Or another soultion to this problem is keep the different sections , because i assume that after Skyward Sword is released i would merge with the Modern Zelda section, i dont agree with that happening maybe keep a Skyward Sword exclusive section , like you do now, but with a heading as SPOILERS.
I hope you listen to my views ALAR

1) I can look into this more, but it won't be any time soon. The major problem is that its difficult to develop for mobile phones. I only have access to my Motorola Droid, and I'm able to use the forums sufficiently. No mobile phone can work perfectly with forums/sites as well as computers. There are many variety of screen sizes to take into consideration. Another problem I have is that when people post with mobiles, they don't post as well as they would with computers. I have no problems with viewing our forums via mobile, and I will try and look into that.

2) We'll try our best to remind people to use spoilers with the new Skyward Sword game. Now days, most games have been around long enough for a fair amount of people to have beat them. What is consider a spoiler to one member, may not be to another. I doubt we'll have such problems with Skyward Sword because we can assume that any information pertaining the game is spoiler.

I just had a crazy thought, ZD. Well, I noticed on some other forum sites there weresome nominations and awards given out for membrs. Of course, we used to have a system such as this in the Experience Bar and Awards System, but I'm thinking of something a bit different. I got the idea from Zelda Universe, since they hold nominations for titles such as "Most Creative". These exist on MHQ and ZU. I like the idea of the whole nominating thing and voting for who you want to have the title. Thanks for your time. :)

I sort of like the idea of having various nominations because it promotes different kinds of forum/community activity. Our HK promotions deal mostly with just general good posting quality. It doesn't take into consideration posting graphics and fan-fics. I don't have a lot of ideas on various nominations we can have (I'm not part of other Zelda forums). It would be more beneficial to suggest various nomination ideas, and we can see what other members think of them. Good Suggestion.

Thanks for the help, but that's not what I'm talking about. Let's say that I've only talked to 5 people. Then in my Vistor Messages I only see 5 avatars and I get to open the conversation between me and that person instead of seeing that person's messages to me in different places. Did I explain a bit more clear?

Well I apprciate it anyway.

I fail to see how clicking "View Conversation" wouldn't lead you to your conversations with that individual without having to go all over the place... I mean it's similar enough to fb or even Skype or Aim, where you have your list of peeps and you can view your entire conversation with them in less then 2 clicks.

Hey I was wondering if it would be a good idea if ZD got Clans Like ZU and LoZ.com. Its just a thought

While I'm a firm supporter for groups and group activities, I'm not sure if groups would be successful here at ZD.net. you have to have a group of dedicated leaders to plan events out, monitor group activity, and encourage people to stay active within their group. As someone who helped run them at LoZ.com [my username was zelda] I can say that it's not an easy task. Groups however are fun for the people in them, but its due to the hard work of your leaders who prep the activities for you.

My suggestion back to you... Use the social group feature as Kybyrian said... and/or if there's a group type activity you want to do, you could PM me and I could help you get it started.... or you can find a place within the forum it belongs and start it yourself... like in the forum games section.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Two suggestions based off what I see at other boards.

Why not give site staffers their own color to go with their user group? I've seen a lot of sites where staffers had their own color, to give a bit more credit to those who work on the site and also to give forumers someone to contact for little things on the actual site without having to bother admins, since not everyone knows how to find the contact us page it seems. Maybe add staffers to the Forum Leaders page too, I've seen a lot of sites do something like that.

Another suggestion is a little gender icon or some gender identification on each user's post sidebar, like where it says Location and Age and etc add one for Gender. Like the others it would be an optional field. I know gender is already displayed on the user page, but not everyone checks the user page. Since there's been a lot of cases of active members getting their genders mistaken this should help overall with community socializing.

Most likely the reason for the link not working is because the page about the Wiki got deleted. As for how to get the banner under your name, I don't know.

Austin

Austin
The link was removed from the FAQ. The Zelda Wiki user group pretty much hasn't been used anymore, and the thread was removed. Thanks for reporting the broken link!

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
To get the Zelda Wiki Banner, you need to have a profile here and on Zelda Wiki. You need to have at least 50 edits.....I don't remember the rest. You need to talk to Mases about it. The ZW group doesn't have it's own thing anymore.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Two suggestions based off what I see at other boards.

Why not give site staffers their own color to go with their user group? I've seen a lot of sites where staffers had their own color, to give a bit more credit to those who work on the site and also to give forumers someone to contact for little things on the actual site without having to bother admins, since not everyone knows how to find the contact us page it seems. Maybe add staffers to the Forum Leaders page too, I've seen a lot of sites do something like that.

Another suggestion is a little gender icon or some gender identification on each user's post sidebar, like where it says Location and Age and etc add one for Gender. Like the others it would be an optional field. I know gender is already displayed on the user page, but not everyone checks the user page. Since there's been a lot of cases of active members getting their genders mistaken this should help overall with community socializing.

I agree completely with what you said, Xinn. I feel like the staff should have their own color as well, so that they are more easily indicated as so.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Hey guys, I made this suggestion a few months ago, but I feel like it went unread since I had posted in the middle of another discussion.. also, I would like to elaborate a bit on it. So, I think the Fanworks section should be a bit more organized. As in, make some sub-forums under Fanworks for Fanart (Visual Art), Fanfiction & Sign-ups, Contests, and General Art, (Maybe one for fan music?). Obviously this setup can be altered, and maybe I'm the only one who thinks so, but the section seems kind of cluttered. ZD is a unique community in that we see a lot of "Sign-ups" for stories, and as of recently, some art competitions have begun to show up. It's just that I've seen some other forums' art sections and it's usually organized in this kind of way. It works well, and I think it would make navigation easier, depending on if you feel like browsing through a specific medium at the moment.

Djinn

and Tonic
I am not so certain that there are enough of the various types of work appear in the Fan Works section to require a sub forum for each. Fanfiction might be able to pull it off, but the others such as non zelda and music might not have enough threads for a sub forum. I think some more prefixes should be added. Ones that tell if it is music, visual, etc. That would really help out in showing what each thread is displaying other than if it is Zelda related or not.

Although I do like the idea of a separate sub forum for contests. That would help out quite a bit.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I definitely feel it can be cluttered. Even if the general works/fan works aren't divided, there are enough contests right now that I think their own subsection would be good. I may be the only one to think so, but I also think it'd be fun to have an artists' corner. I'm a writer, so I'm thinking specifically of that, but it could be where sign-up threads are for fanfics, advice threads for how to write (or draw), and so on. The behind-the-scenes-stuff can be necessary, but buries the actual works themselves.

Djinn

and Tonic
Something I just thought of. There have been a few new people joining and making threads asking basic newbie questions on the forum. Normally after an answer someone will refer the newbie towards a faq thread or to a mod and suggest that they speak to a mod or staff member. As a means to remove clutter around the board, obviously.

But how about a stickied newbie general questions thread. That way if someone has a general question to ask about something simple but cannot find anyone with a colored username, they can post a question there and a staff or helpful member can answer easily for them. That way we will not have new threads popping up for quick questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom