• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Djinn

and Tonic
I've got two:
First, can we put some small requirements to access forum games? I'm not asking for anything big, but some that will at least increase the people's activity in other sections that would normally spend their time in there. I was thinking about what the requirements should be, and here's what I came up with:
30 posts (I was originally thinking 50)
25 reputation points
A ZD age of 15 days (I was originally thinking a month)

Second, can we not have the Forum Games section visible to guests?

I do not think that this would be a good idea. Already the forum games section is a lightly modded area that does not include post counts or reputation. Nothing is gained or lost posting there and as the forum titled says, it is for fun.

Removal of the section to certain members would not increase activity in other areas. People are not going to randomly post at the same rate regardless of section. It is the the thread itself that attracts posters. And if one section is closed off they might not post at all. Plus a general purpose section open to only specific members like that might give off the impression that newer members are not welcomed or must "earn" a right to remain there. This normally leads to accusations of elitism among the veteran members vs. newer ones, even if that is not the case at all. I have seen something like it in the past and all too often it leads to even more forum drama and people leaving.

Allow me to show you, Djinn, the horrid amount of activity in Forum Games.
Before the forum games section made its way into the forums some time earlier this year, our leading section in activity was World of Zelda.
Here's the activity of the two sections today:
World of Zelda: Threads: 945; Posts: 22,093
Forum Games: Threads: 123; Posts: 34,193

Djinn said:
Removal of the section to certain members would not increase activity in other areas. People are not going to randomly post at the same rate regardless of section. It is the the thread itself that attracts posters. And if one section is closed off they might not post at all. Plus a general purpose section open to only specific members like that might give off the impression that newer members are not welcomed or must "earn" a right to remain there. This normally leads to accusations of elitism among the veteran members vs. newer ones, even if that is not the case at all. I have seen something like it in the past and all too often it leads to even more forum drama and people leaving.
Oh, you wouldn't believe what people would do to get what they want.
I don't know if you know about the shoutbox, since any mention of it in any thread is gone now because our rules are gone, but that is one of the things that not all members have. A member without the shoutbox knowing of the shoutbox and wanting the shoutbox has never caused any problems, and hell, that want for it increased their activity. It has never caused any sort of dispute among "veteran" members and "newbie" members, save that for the ranks.

The requirements that I've listed are so trivial, that if one who loses the section really wants it back, all that person has to do is make posts, which there are plenty of interesting threads in all sections, make posts good posts to get past the reputation requirement, and 15 days at a forum isn't a very long time. Also, most people who would lose the section if these requirements are made would only have to get past the reputation requirement as they already have the other two squared away.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I see what Pocket it getting at. It might be useful because then people wouldn't just join for the games and if they did they would have to post first and then they may become a regular poster in other forum sections so they might contribute to the debates in threads too.

Djinn

and Tonic
As I have said before the fun and games section contributes nothing already. The amount of posts and posters there mean nothing other than the amount of traffic it receives. And that might be due to the fact that some of the games are particularly fun to play in the first place. A person above me thread easily generates a page or three of posts in a day but nothing is gained or lost in it. Only fun between two posters and generally friendships on a forum are created this way.

And no I was not aware of a shoutbox in this forum, but in my experience those are a major factor in the overall declining activity of a forum. They are way too easy an instant message tool between posters and conversations are concluded easily enough without anyone ever taking the time to make a thread post. But that is not the point I am trying to make here.

I was just trying to convey that posting in a forum that contributes nothing to reputation or postcount, and only essentially exists as a fun time waster with friends does not sound like something that needs to be an earned privilege. Herding people into specific sections that are considered (in the eyes of one individual) more worthy than others is usually not a good method for maintaining a forum.

Kybyrian

I was just trying to convey that posting in a forum that contributes nothing to reputation or postcount, and only essentially exists as a fun time waster with friends does not sound like something that needs to be an earned privilege. Herding people into specific sections that are considered (in the eyes of one individual) more worthy than others is usually not a good method for maintaining a forum.

Quite a time-waster indeed... it wastes so much time that 50% of the posters in the forum games haven't made a single post in any section except for the forum games in the past week or more. What Pocket Asian is getting to, is that certain people have been overusing the forum games. As in, they post in the forum games only, and almost never venture to the other sections in the forum. This can easily be seen by examining just a few users.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
There actually is a way ;) Its just like old facebook really you have a "wall to wall" if you click view conversation....
View attachment 8739

If you click on "view conversation" it pulls up the back and forth talk between you and that person. Since I didnt have any other messages with Claire, I used Keyshe as an example.

View attachment 8740

Hope that helps (you can click on the thumbnails to see for yourself. I circled the view conversation button, so hopefully you can find it)

Thanks for the help, but that's not what I'm talking about. Let's say that I've only talked to 5 people. Then in my Vistor Messages I only see 5 avatars and I get to open the conversation between me and that person instead of seeing that person's messages to me in different places. Did I explain a bit more clear?

Well I apprciate it anyway.

An optional Setting that sends you a PM when a New Member regesters.
If you want to find the new members, go to the top of the page, and find the Community tab, it is next to the link to the Arcade. Click it, and a drop down menu will appear. Go down the menu to Member List, and click that.

It will take you to a different page that shows every member of the forums. From there, find the column with the header that says Join Date, and click it only once. The list will change from the newest member to the oldest. Click it again if you want oldest to newest.

J

jack-o-lantern

I'm not sure if this goes here, but on the skyward sword page under the confirmed facts part, it says link will obtain thhe slingshot, the bow and the crossbow. The crossbow was never confirmed in the game. Just thought I'd let you know so u dont mislead others

im not up to reading this entire thread, so if anyone suggested this im sorry,
anyway can we get a mobile version of the main site and the forums, i only have one computer in my home and it is occupied during the day so i can't get on much, it would increase a lot of people's activity here on the forums. thank you

If the site already has it... then I haven't it.

It would be great if there was a walkthrough section for Master Quest.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this fits here, (though I think it does) but the Wind Waker section of the main site (The Walkthrough and Guides) doesn't have a piece of heart guide. Pieces of Heart are in the Walkthrough, but there's no page for Pieces of Hearts specifically.

Austin

Austin
im not up to reading this entire thread, so if anyone suggested this im sorry,
anyway can we get a mobile version of the main site and the forums, i only have one computer in my home and it is occupied during the day so i can't get on much, it would increase a lot of people's activity here on the forums. thank you

What do you mean mobile version? Our site runs and work son Android/iPhone phones. I can vouch for Android as I've used my phone to visit the site/forums. For a more compatible mobile version, that isn't currently on our priority. We may consider it in the future.

I'm not sure if this goes here, but on the skyward sword page under the confirmed facts part, it says link will obtain thhe slingshot, the bow and the crossbow. The crossbow was never confirmed in the game. Just thought I'd let you know so u dont mislead others

http://zeldadungeon.net/contact-us/?cat=walkthroughs That link will take you to our contact page. For future walkthrough stuff, use that versus the forums. Many of the walkthrough writers don't use the forums that often.

If the site already has it... then I haven't it.

It would be great if there was a walkthrough section for Master Quest.

I believe the master quest is build along side the regular walkthrough. If this isn't so, then I can talk to the walkthrough coders and see what they think. However, you shouldn't expect anyone anytime soon, as walkthroughs take months to write.

I'm not sure if this fits here, (though I think it does) but the Wind Waker section of the main site (The Walkthrough and Guides) doesn't have a piece of heart guide. Pieces of Heart are in the Walkthrough, but there's no page for Pieces of Hearts specifically.

We have our people working on the Wind Waker guide as you speak. Please be patient, thanks!

Alar

Clothed in Green
Spoilers

erm... i would like to see a moblie version, because on Android , such as the Galaxy S , i find it really hard to click on certain links such as the the links in the forums, i have posted a few times off it but it is just to much of a hastle , maybe a simpler version of the site, for mobiles. I am for a Moblie version of a site, so please can we have one, and i do really think it will make alot a users use this a bit more. Thanks. Maybe if we start some kind of poll, to see if people DO want a moblie version of the site because i am sure quite a few people would appreciate that feature, i know i would so again thanks

Another thing i would like to see, i think i would like to propose is that we enforce the fact that the "Spoilers" prefix used alot more, because i am worried that coming onto this site , after skyward sword is released is the fact that someone might spoil a part of a game, maybe some of the moderators could enforce this, like if its something serious like lets say "Ganon kills link" or something like that , but also things a little less important, you may argue whats the point of coming on a Zelda site then , because thats where you discuss Zelda games, so you cant discuss them with out spoilers. But games like Ocarina of Time, which if you have't played why are you here, have no need for these spoiler titles because the game is so old, but you could argue again that some people havn't played this, but in that case maybe that people could put the spoiler titles for serious spoilers such as... i wont say. Or another soultion to this problem is keep the different sections , because i assume that after Skyward Sword is released i would merge with the Modern Zelda section, i dont agree with that happening maybe keep a Skyward Sword exclusive section , like you do now, but with a heading as SPOILERS.
I hope you listen to my views ALAR

Last edited:

Majora's Cat

How about that
I just had a crazy thought, ZD. Well, I noticed on some other forum sites there weresome nominations and awards given out for membrs. Of course, we used to have a system such as this in the Experience Bar and Awards System, but I'm thinking of something a bit different. I got the idea from Zelda Universe, since they hold nominations for titles such as "Most Creative". These exist on MHQ and ZU. I like the idea of the whole nominating thing and voting for who you want to have the title. Thanks for your time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom