• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Stitch

AKA Patrick
New idea: if it's so hard to count posts, maybe just get rid of ZD Legend and Champion entirely and save the admins and mods time and energy.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
The reward system isn't automated either.

Jimmu has to go through an entire months worth of activity on the site and manually count member post activity.

It'd be insane to add hundreds of mafia pages on top of that for him.

you can just click on the thread and get a summary of everyone who posted in it and how many times they posted, if anything it'd be easier for the mafia section because there's only 2-3 active threads a month, unlike in other forums.

does responding to people's posts with shrugging emojis count as discussion?

New idea: if it's so hard to count posts, maybe just get rid of ZD Legend and Champion entirely and save the admins and mods time and energy.

if the mods are happy doing it and the people like the system then there's no real reason to get rid of it

Pen

The game is on!
I think the elephant in the room that everyone's graciously trying to tip-toe around for the most part is that for some reason many of the non-Mafia players here hold some kind of dislike for the Mafia sub-forum. There's been issues regarding this in the past and while it's been pretty calm lately it's almost like there's a cold war because nothing was ever really resolved. Maybe it's worth talking about it openly. I know that no one in the Mafia community on these forums hold any ill will towards the rest of the people here. I think all we really want is to be viewed in a more positive light by everyone else. Minish brought up a very solid point that I think you should all consider. I honestly think this is a pretty serious matter. The Mafia section has brought plenty of new users to this forum, some of which have become very active even outside of the Mafia section, and I think even more might feel encouraged to explore the forums as a whole if the Mafia section was given more respect than it has today. We really have to make an effort to bring the community together in a better way.

so much edge

You're not helping at all.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Beowolf, if you're somehow trying to say that the mafia section and the other forum parts can't coexist you're just hating on it for literally no reason.
If anything this site should be proud of the mafia community it has. Players from all across the internet, some considered the best among the best, come here to play often or just meet the community as a whole due to you being well represented in the annual world championships and crossover events.

And, honestly, if the mafia section does a better job at interacting with other communities and attracting new people to check this place out then it kinda tells a lot about the rest of the site if anything.

I'm not sure which distorted sense of community some of you have, but I feel like this place is really not the welcoming and willing place you imagine; and I also feel like most of new people have a really hard time kinda just getting along here no matter the reason they join. It's usually really arbitrary who gets to be treated well and who doesn't and I feel like it's borderline toxic.
A recent example of this was some people from Marioboards trying to check this place out and kinda being shoved aside until most of them decided to leave.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Everyone calm down! Please.

This is what I think. Firstly, I just want to say that I love every single one of you. I don’t care if you just play mafia, I don’t care if you aren’t a champion or a legend, I just love you all. <3

That out of the way, I want to emphasize that this is a Zelda Forum first. This place was created to talk about Zelda and spark discussions about it. But I think it’s so much more than that. It’s a place where you can come to relax and have a good time. It’s a place where you can meet new wonderful people and become great friends with them. We’re a family here. We care about each other and help each other as best as we can.

I want everyone here to feel welcome and loved. I don’t want mafia players to feel discriminated or unwanted. Everyone here has such wonderful unique personalities and quirks. Everyone here has something special about them that’s amazing.

I would love if I could see more of the mafia players around the site so I could get to know them better. If you feel like you’re alone or unwanted here, you’re not. I want you here. I want to befriend you. I want to comfort you wen you’re sad, and be happy with you when something amazing happens!

If anyone on this site thinks themselves better than someone else one here, stop. Just stop. You’re hurting them. You’re making them feel unwanted, and that’s not nice. Everyone has something to contribute on here. Whether it be very good Zelda theories, or just alway getting people to smile with their wonderful personality, or just being a friend when you feel alone, everyone here matters. I hope you all think that too.

Now, most threads like ‘What on your Mind?’ or ‘What Annoyed you Today,’ or even Zelda Threads have some not meaningful posts. So do Mafia threads, they have some meaningless posts too. That would count out most of the active threads on here form being toward post count. So how does that work? Why does posting a link to a video get you a post count? How does posting vote: someone count towards post count? The post count thing is just messed up in so many ways. There’d no right answer to this problem with this current post count mess.

I would say just wait until Jimmu, the actual person who does all the work to orginize this Legend/Champion stuff, comes here and has his say on it. He’s the one to who actually sits down and has to go through thousands of posts. Instead of arguing, why don’t you all just take a moment to appreciate that.

Thank you @Jimmu

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
great post echo, i agree with everything you said

thanks jimmu

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Just make me the only champion/legend.

---------
To address the elephant in the room, it seems to be the mindset of those who don't regularly post in the mafia forums that members who join solely for mafia don't seem to branch out into other threads. I mean, that's the very oversimplification of it.

I think the first step would just be posting outside of that? I mean, it sounds simple, but I often see new members join, but never see them post because they just stay within mafia. You shouldn't be forced to post anywhere, but I dunno, I certainly hope that those joining feel like they can post outside of that and get to meet some of the community as a whole, because, otherwise, it's just odd in that they could do similar posting on a discord specifically for mafia, rather than joining a web forum. I don't want to discourage people from joining at all, but I certainly would like to see those joining out and about.

I think it's great that more people are joining, just lemme meet em. I don't care if your primary focus here is to play a game, or to roleplay, etc. but I don't think people like when a member joins only to pigeonhole themselves into a niche area that can be invisible to a larger whole. Liking Zelda would certainly be a plus, but hang out in the shoutbox, post in general discussions like TOYM, What Are You Listening To? or whatever to just kind of let people know who you are as a person. We also have a ton of posts about other game franchises, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, other mediums of media, I mean, the list goes on and on.

I would truly like to see an end to just: join forum, stay in niche section. Conversely, I would also like to see an end to people feeling shamed for joining for a particular purpose. Communities don't grow with in-fighting, and this has been a vaguely known issue for months. If people don't want to change it, fine, but I'm sick of hearing about it when there's been little attempts to actually address it and solve it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Please remember to keep posts on-topic and avoid resorting to personal attacks. This should be a civil discussion.
------------------

I want to throw my two cents on the "should mafia posts count" discussion, because, as a person who has been far more active in both the roleplay and mafia sections than the rest of the site, I don't think they should be included towards Champions/Legends. I don't think it's because these are areas where its inherently impossible to have meaningful discussions, but because they are games. I don't think they should be counted any more than "Count to 100 before a Mod Posts" should be counted towards post count.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Our purpose of having mafia cross over games is to hopefully attract more people to the site. Yes there are some people who join and just play but don't post elsewhere, but there are plenty who have joined just for mafia but then branched to other parts of the site. However, it's a bit disheartening for people to constantly rag on the mafia section and emphasize that this is a Zelda site for Zelda discussion because many of these players who branched out aren't into Zelda but like the community. It's also not great knowing that any time there is a suggestion made about mafia, it always gets criticized in a way that no other suggestions do.

I personally don't care about mafia posts counting towards legend/champion status, and I don't think most players do. But it's a bit hypocritical to think just posting 30 times in other things like the songs thread or rate your day or whatever are contributing to discussion more than mafia or roleplay does.

I do agree that there should be attempts to discuss and solve these issues as they've obviously been a problem for a while now.

Ragnarokio

it's just odd in that they could do similar posting on a discord specifically for mafia, rather than joining a web forum.

Clearly that means they're here for the community and not just to play mafia. There are lots of other zelda forums on the internet as well, but the people who choose to post here do so because this is the only zelda forum with these members. Likewise, the people who play mafia on this site play it not because they're looking for a place to play mafia and this just happens to be it, but rather because they enjoy playing with the people on this site. The people I've met here playing mafia are some of the nicest people I've ever known.

I don't think it's because these are areas where its inherently impossible to have meaningful connection, but because they are games. I don't think they should be counted any more than "Count to 100 before a Mod Posts" should be counted towards post count.

Why should games be disqualified from counting? I think that the people earlier in the thread had the right idea when they said that only discussions should count, but i think they errenously described games and discussions as being mutually exclusive. A game like "count to 100 before a mod posts" obviously contains no discussion, so it shouldn't count. A game like mafia or a roleplaying game that involves actively discussing ideas and socializing with one another is a different story though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom