• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Pen

The game is on!
I do somewhat agree with Stitch on this. Why draw the line for Mafia and Roleplaying which are certainly productive in their own rights, but allow posts to count in the Picture Thread, Things That Are On Your Mind and Things That Annoyed You Today for example? Neither of those threads are Zelda or gaming related and they consist of very little actual discussion and interaction compared to many other threads, including Mafia and Roleplaying.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Mafia and roleplay posts often are quality and creative posts. There are threads in sections that are counted right now where you literally can post one liners or videos that you didn't make yourself and it's considered normal.

Reactions: Pen

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
There are many very active mafia players I know nothing about, because they only play mafia. They aren’t contributing much to the site, they’re just playing mafia. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, they can do whatever they want, but the Champion/Legend requirements are meant to encourage meaningful forum discussion.
I agree with removing the count on threads like What’s on Your Mind and What Music are you Listening to. Those have the same issues with mafia/roleplaying.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
It might be time to think about what threads actually count. I definitely agree that threads that usually consist of one word posts should get the boot. But as for mafia and role-play see
This is a Zelda forum not a Mafia hub so we encourage more forum discussion

Stitch

AKA Patrick
There are many very active mafia players I know nothing about, because they only play mafia. They aren’t contributing much to the site, they’re just playing mafia. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, they can do whatever they want, but the Champion/Legen d requirements are meant to encourage meaningful forum discussion.
I do somewhat agree with Stitch on this. Why draw the line for Mafia and Roleplaying which are certainly productive in their own rights, but allow posts to count in the Picture Thread, Things That Are On Your Mind and Things That Annoyed You Today for example? Neither of those threads are Zelda or gaming related and they consist of very little actual discussion and interaction compared to many other threads, including Mafia and Roleplaying.
"meaningful forum discussion"

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I edited my post, I completely agree with @Pen that those aren’t meaningful discussion either. I don’t know how it would be judged, but I don’t think that those threads should count either.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Maybe we can come to a compromise and require like, 10 posts outside of mafia and roleplay. I juat think there are a lot of good posts in those sections that are currently being ignored by the current system.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
I agree with removing the count on threads like What’s on Your Mind and What Music are you Listening to. Those have the same issues with mafia/roleplaying.

i'm not seeing much of this in the sections where post counts are enabled really. A good majority of the threads on the site seem to fullfil the purpose of post count farms to me. I wouldn't be opposed to vetting which posts you want to count and which don't, but i'm not sure what your metric would be, since its a very abstract thing and there's a sizable grey zone in between things like posting a video and things like participating in a lengthy conversation about zelda.

They aren’t contributing much to the site, they’re just playing mafia.

Is playing mafia not contributing to the site? What qualifies as a contribution in your eyes?

Pen

The game is on!
Mafia games can include just as much discussion as a thread in the Mature Discussion section. So saying that they don't spark discussion is far from the truth.

And if stories and other writing in the Creative Works section are counted then I see no reason why Roleplaying shouldn't be counted too, seeing as that's creative writing in a similar vein.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Sorry, that was worded badly. Honestly, I don’t know very much about Mafia, besides the rules and such. From what I have seen, Mafia and Roleplay often require you to post often. If you’re just doing these, you’re not discussing, you’re just playing a game that requires many posts. The flairs are meant to reward going out of your way to discuss on the site, and if you earn them for just doing what you’re expected to do in the context of the game, not actually making meaningful posts on many threads in the forum, then they lose their meaning. I don’t mean to say that Mafia and Roleplay aren’t good to have.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The champion/legend system is in place to reward activity, but its also not an important system. It's literally cosmetic in value and comes with no benefits whatsoever. It's that way on purpose so that no one is missing out on not being one, to contrast with the Hylian Knight system of old. If you want it, cool, work for it, but you're not missing anything by not having it. That's why it's not necessary for games to count. I'm definitely open to examining certain threads like Things on Your Mind, but I'm not aware of how doable it is to exclude certain threads from postcount with Xenforo. That's a question for @Jimmu. I will not deny that there's quality content in mafia games and role-playing but that doesn't change the fact that they're games. They aren't discussion. That's why there's a line.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
It's actually pretty simple. Roleplay and games are not discussion and hence are not counted. This is making an issue out of a non-issue.

HCnAMni.png

I don't know what definition of discussion you're using but under these definitions i would consider roleplays and mafia games discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom