• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
If there's a way to do this consistently, I think it would be a good idea to use the Featured Thread box to help new posts in the Fan Works section gain more exposure. It seems, just from general observation, that that section isn't really visited much outside of the people who have their own threads, and it would be a nice way to help people's hard work get viewed!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please remove Scrapper's furry apologism. Let me uwu in peace.

I've removed it. Should probably refresh them at some point. If anyone has particular suggestions feel free to private message me and maybe I'll add some of them at some point ;)

If there's a way to do this consistently, I think it would be a good idea to use the Featured Thread box to help new posts in the Fan Works section gain more exposure. It seems, just from general observation, that that section isn't really visited much outside of the people who have their own threads, and it would be a nice way to help people's hard work get viewed!

That's a good idea, I do think that we could do this better. It is hard to set down a number in terms of consistency given the size of the forum (and thus the section) but I suppose featuring threads that already exist but are being recently updated could be a good option.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
  1. In Community area, we could put up "The official 'I'm new here'" thread instead for the sake of reducing clutter
  2. Post counts can be disabled in General chit chat cuz we aren't really discussing anything game related there
  3. An archive could be maintained to put old threads in there.

1. In Community area, we could put up "The official 'I'm new here'" thread instead for the sake of reducing clutter
  2. Post counts can be disabled in General chit chat cuz we aren't really discussing anything game related there
  3. An archive could be maintained to put old threads in there.
Option number one something that I believe needs to get done, but two is honestly the worst idea ever. Mainly because I use General Chit Chat all the time for gaming, and it's the easiest way to get 30 posts. And what the heck are you talking about with option number three.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
, but two is honestly the worst idea ever. Mainly because I use General Chit Chat all the time for gaming, and it's the easiest way to get 30 posts
Exactly. If posts like "Oof it's so boring today" . "I hate the weather today" are added to post counts then everyone can become champs/Legends easily without actually contributing anything. And yea, General gaming should be a separate topic rather than being in General Chit Chat.
An archive is a place for storing old dead threads. If it's implemented then thread necromancy could be controlled. Look at smogon for example all the old threads go into their "cryonis" And the sections are therefore clean.

Exactly. If posts like "Oof it's so boring today" . "I hate the weather today" are added to post counts then everyone can become champs/Legends easily without actually contributing anything. And yea, General gaming should be a separate topic rather than being in General Chit Chat.
An archive is a place for storing old dead threads. If it's implemented then thread necromancy could be controlled. Look at smogon for example all the old threads go into their "cryonis" And the sections are therefore clean.
I've never been to Smogon so I can say much there, but I still think General Chit Chat and General Gaming is fine just the way it is. It's like they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." So stop trying to fix something that isn't broke, the reason why it is the way it is, is because some people don't want to lose their ranking just because they can't contribute to the forums anymore.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Funny SB conversations thread and How did you find ZD should be in Community rather than general discussion.

Also as I am not a new member I don't know how it works when you join but I am wondering if it is clear enough that necromancy of ancient threads containing members that dont even come here anymore is not a good thing. It would be much better for new threads to be created if members are interested in ancient topics.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Funny SB conversations thread and How did you find ZD should be in Community rather than general discussion.

Also as I am not a new member I don't know how it works when you join but I am wondering if it is clear enough that necromancy of ancient threads containing members that dont even come here anymore is not a good thing. It would be much better for new threads to be created if members are interested in ancient topics.

I've moved the how did you find ZD thread but not the funny conversations one as it isn't necessarily limited to the shoutbox only.

That could be something we could clear up in the welcome PM. I'll discuss with the staff.

I know that it was originally implemented to prevent spamming, but could we loosen it up a little bit on the time between PMs sent? I'm trying to do Role PMs for my mafia game, but I'm at the point where I have to wait a minute and a half between PMs, and I'm not even halfway done.

I've reduced it to 30 seconds.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I've moved the how did you find ZD thread but not the funny conversations one as it isn't necessarily limited to the shoutbox only.

That could be something we could clear up in the welcome PM. I'll discuss with the staff.

I've reduced it to 30 seconds.
Thanks m8. 30 seconds should be just fine.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just realised that the Fan Works sub-forum has a bit of a misleading name, don't you think? It makes it sound like it's restricted to fan fiction, fan art and whatnot when it's really there for all sorts of creative endeavours; fan works and original works.
I totally agree with your point.

Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for a more suitable name for the section?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
May be Creative Works or Creative Corner or something like that? Those are just some spontaneous thoughts though. Maybe there are better ideas. ^^
I reached out for suggestions in the volunteer chat too and @Azure Sage gave the suggestion Creative Works there also. I think it sounds good to me so let's go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom