• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'll discuss the mentioned policy with the staff over the next few days and if no objection is brought up by Mases regarding this I'll make a poll asking for the opinion of users.

One issue I'm forseeing is that if there is no solid rule in place some people will be talking in profanities on every post which is really not a good look or atmosphere. We currently don't mind people using curse words in moderation so long as the optional censor isn't by passed (if you have images with censored words, those can currently go in a spoiler tag with a censor warning). I don't see why the censor is such a big deal/inconvenience when it is very easy to spoiler posts with swearing in them. I personally swear quite a lot when I'm hanging around with my friends or in a location where I know others don't care. But in the case where some people may be turned off being here by something that can so easily be partially censored (with an option to see the content anyway should you choose), I don't think it's worth removing a censor all together personally.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
There is an optional swear filter for people who don't like seeing words like "****". If it's in an image in your status, it bypasses the filter completely. While I'm not one of the people who thinks there's any difference between "****" and "****", there are people who would rather see a series of asterisks than the words themselves. Those people should be respected, that's why we have an optional filter in the first place. And bypassing the filter has been against the rules for as long as I can remember, even before it was made optional.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
There is an optional swear filter for people who don't like seeing words like "****". If it's in an image in your status, it bypasses the filter completely. While I'm not one of the people who thinks there's any difference between "****" and "****", there are people who would rather see a series of asterisks than the words themselves. Those people should be respected, that's why we have an optional filter in the first place. And bypassing the filter has been against the rules for as long as I can remember, even before it was made optional.
It's should be more of a courtesy than a rule. Cursing shouldn't be such a infractable offense

Mido

Version 1
It's should be more of a courtesy than a rule. Cursing shouldn't be such a infractable offense

I just caught up to speed on the matter. Usually swearing isn't a problem in the rules unless it's used in cases of flaming and stuff of that sort. In swear filter cases like this, I think it's reasonable to keep the courtesy, but looking at your case; I think what we can do for the future is certainly lessen the quote-on-quote consequence since your intent was humorous and not malicious. I don't think we need to abolish the rule, but a lighter response to it would certainly be something to note.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Could we have some kind of ignore function for blog posts? They seem to be a "fluffier" area of the site like the shoutbox where people are likely to rant about stuff others might not want to hear about.

As of now, the normal ignore function doesn't keep you from seeing a member's blog posts, only their forum posts. Additionally, the preview for blog posts off to the side on the forum list includes part of the blog post's text, unlike with threads. So there's pretty much no way to avoid seeing a member's blog posts.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
That's not really a problem. Just ignore that section of the forums, since you have to scroll pretty far down to get to it anyway...

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Could we have some kind of ignore function for blog posts? They seem to be a "fluffier" area of the site like the shoutbox where people are likely to rant about stuff others might not want to hear about.

As of now, the normal ignore function doesn't keep you from seeing a member's blog posts, only their forum posts. Additionally, the preview for blog posts off to the side on the forum list includes part of the blog post's text, unlike with threads. So there's pretty much no way to avoid seeing a member's blog posts.

A self restraint option would be better. You'll just end up not going on any part of the forums if you cant stand to even see opinions you don't like. If I see them I argue with them or ignore them if I can't be bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom