• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I know that some people may have seen this in another thread but I thought I'd post it here anyways. Idk if it's feasible, but we should tag threads that have been inactive for more that. Let's say 5-6 months with "Stal-Thread"

Djinn

and Tonic
I had thought about bringing it up in the past, but Xenforo has an addon that adds a banner inside the reply box of a thread that has not received any replies after a predetermined time with a checkbox and a warning along the lines of "This thread has been dormant for X months, replying to it might cause warning/infraction" and you have to check the box that states I understand and reply before it will let you reply.

n1Ac44y.jpg

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had thought about bringing it up in the past, but Xenforo has an addon that adds a banner inside the reply box of a thread that has not received any replies after a predetermined time with a checkbox and a warning along the lines of "This thread has been dormant for X months, replying to it might cause warning/infraction" and you have to check the box that states I understand and reply before it will let you reply.

n1Ac44y.jpg

Getting this and tweaking the wording would be good as opposed to tagging threads I reckon. Do you have the link? I'll add it to the list of things to do when I get my access back.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Please delt Mases. It's been nearly a month since you've posted about it. How do you not let one of the two admins not have access to do things for this long?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake

n1Ac44y.jpg
I don't understand, since when has bumping an old thread ever been grounds for a warning? I don't think necroposting has been a thing on the internet in general for like 5 years, at least not here since the Priest quit.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I don't understand, since when has bumping an old thread ever been grounds for a warning? I don't think necroposting has been a thing on the internet in general for like 5 years, at least not here since the Priest quit.

Still in the rules under general upkeep, and it's annoying having someone posting to a thread that's played out.

Jamie

Still in the rules under general upkeep, and it's annoying having someone posting to a thread that's played out.
Why? Doesn't it generate new discussion? Meh, maybe I'm in the minority but getting a warning for necroposting seems insane to me.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Why? Doesn't it generate new discussion? Meh, maybe I'm in the minority but getting a warning for necroposting seems insane to me.

Not if the thread is dead, no one is interested in it anymore. Smarter to make a new thread instead of kick-starting an old one. And considering 0-point warnings exist, not a big deal.

Jamie

Not if the thread is dead, no one is interested in it anymore. Smarter to make a new thread instead of kick-starting an old one. And considering 0-point warnings exist, not a big deal.
So you rejuvenate interest by responding.

You say it's not a big deal, but it is. It's a fact that things like whether or not someone should be staff are determined by stuff like that, and also if you already have a warning or a history of warnings you are more likely to get actual points for a future offense.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
So you rejuvenate interest by responding.

You say it's not a big deal, but it is. It's a fact that things like whether or not someone should be staff are determined by stuff like that, and also if you already have a warning or a history of warnings you are more likely to get actual points for a future offense.

If you've warranted it yes. Stop being over the damn top. Only times i've been given warnings is when i've actually earned them. And no if a thread has had everything that needs to be said then no it doesn't need new posts in it. After six months it's damn well dead. If in six months you can't have been bothered to have posted something in that thread then it needs to be under that rule.

Mido

Version 1
If you've warranted it yes. Stop being over the damn top. Only times i've been given warnings is when i've actually earned them. And no if a thread has had everything that needs to be said then no it doesn't need new posts in it. After six months it's damn well dead. If in six months you can't have been bothered to have posted something in that thread then it needs to be under that rule.

I think there's a middle ground to this. Necromancy, at its worst, is a "petty offense", and it's harmless if the revived thread can still be relevant. The only times things get somewhat murky is if the revived thread is no longer relevant, which is where action may be required. This being said, such action doesn't need to be necessarily dire. Usually a message to the user in question to not do it again is enough, no official warning required. Ultimately I see it as a case-by-case basis (on the notion of thread subject matter). I think there's a place for stopping necromancy, but it isn't something that requires a hefty punishment in any form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom