• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Djinn

and Tonic
Wouldn't a notification go against the whole idea?

If someone got a message declaring "X is ignoring you!" then that might only make them want to send some communication right back their way almost immediately.

Just quietly ending communication is the lesser of two evils.

@Tristan @Mamono101. There was a period where Djinn would post community competition winners on the main site: http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2012/10/dge-community-competition-winners/

If Djinn or another main site staff member could get those kinds of posts up again, it could definitely boost competition interest. I think it would be better than a simple reminder because people might be more inclined to submit something if they see an example.

I also agree with the idea of staggering the competitions. I think interest dies down when too much is happening at once. As Tristan mentioned, this is especially problematic for some of the competitions that require a bit more time to submit something, particularly the music competition.
Yea I used to make a weekly post about the winners until increasing scheduling of articles got in the way and then some weeks things were ont published with my constant asking when are they going to be published until I stopped harassing.

I still want a widget on the side with the winners and a link on the main site somewhere. There has to be some kind of recognition for winning r at least competing. Or else no one would want to compete at all.

Wouldn't a notification go against the whole idea?

If someone got a message declaring "X is ignoring you!" then that might only make them want to send some communication right back their way almost immediately.

Just quietly ending communication is the lesser of two evils.

Yea I used to make a weekly post about the winners until increasing scheduling of articles got in the way and then some weeks things were ont published with my constant asking when are they going to be published until I stopped harassing.

I still want a widget on the side with the winners and a link on the main site somewhere. There has to be some kind of recognition for winning r at least competing. Or else no one would want to compete at all.
I personally like to know if I'm ignored so that I may resolve any conflict someone has with me, but I see what you mean.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As for the ignore notification I think that it is best to leave the lack of notification as is. If somebody ignores someone else then there is likely a reason for it and they won't want to have a notification trigger the other user into (whatever they may do). On Facebook you don't get notified if someone un-friends or ignores you for likely the same reasons.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
What if someone else temporarily took over the competition so as not to waste the time of the normal hosts but so it can still be open? That way everyone wins.
PatCat and I feel that this may not be the best way to go forward considering that a lot of us feel that the reason interest in competitions waned was due to the frequency with which they were being run.
What if there was some promotion on the main site? Like just a post once a month or so saying that there are competitions going on at the forums. The main site gets a hell of a lot more traffic than the forums, this could attract some new blood to come and participate. I really enjoyed the competitions. Even if I didn't enter myself, I liked looking at/listening to the entries and voting for my favourite.

I wonder if the issue lies with the competitions being too frequent. I recall the music competition being two weeks, but it was almost always getting extended to at least a month. Maybe if we had each competition last a month, but have them all on different weeks? For example, first week of a month would be the beginning of the drawing competition, second week would be the beginning of the writing competition, third week would be the beginning of the music competition, etc. Repeat next month. This gives participants plenty of time to complete entries and vote, and this way there's something happening in the section every week. idk how well it would work this way, but it's worth a try I think. Sometimes, two or three competitions would run at exactly the same time, and I'm sure some people who wanted to participate in both weren't able to. Everybody would win this way. Also, people who normally only participate in a certain competition can at least check out the others and vote for the entries because there would be a dedicated week for each competition. Like I said, I'm not too sure it would actually work, but I do believe it could and it's at least worth a shot.

I actually meant to bring something up recently about reviving the music competition, as it was my favourite one overall. I don't have much time nor resources to participate myself at the moment, but I would love to host it if Heroine can't or doesn't want to anymore.
PatCat and I really like the idea of staggering the competitions and think this is something we will try and implement when we have more time to figure out the details. As for the music competition, Heroine did make me aware earlier in the year that she may not be able to run them as regularly as she had been, but since no competitions have been run barring the MS Paint one, I didn't think too much of it. Since there is a current want for the competitions to come back, I'm going to talk to all the competition hosts again and try to get them up and running in line with them being staggered in some way.

PatCat and I feel that this may not be the best way to go forward considering that a lot of us feel that the reason interest in competitions waned was due to the frequency with which they were being run.

PatCat and I really like the idea of staggering the competitions and think this is something we will try and implement when we have more time to figure out the details. As for the music competition, Heroine did make me aware earlier in the year that she may not be able to run them as regularly as she had been, but since no competitions have been run barring the MS Paint one, I didn't think too much of it. Since there is a current want for the competitions to come back, I'm going to talk to all the competition hosts again and try to get them up and running in line with them being staggered in some way.
This post just made me curious how do you become a competition host?

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
This post just made me curious how do you become a competition host?
We usually post a thread when we're looking for new Forum Volunteers for members to express their interest. We then select from those applications who we think would be best suited for the position based on their application responses and forum activity.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
Another suggestion: Could we have something like the "Today's Birthdays" area, except as a "Today's new members" area, a new section that would show any new members that have joined today? Granted, a lot of these new users are spam bots and members that only join to post once, but I think it would be nice to see how many members are joining daily, and maybe say hi to them or something.

There's a "latest member" thing near the bottom, but not something that has all of today's new members. I don't know how many members join daily, though, so that may be all we need.

Dan

I recently started using the Tingle theme, which is now my all time favourite. Only problem is the best segment of ZD looks awful under this theme.

6XHQYRd.png

Can we have a super duper mega theme fix on that. I want to host a sleepover soon. I plan on having my friends over and we're going to stay up all night reading ZD blogs. :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I recently started using the Tingle theme, which is now my all time favourite. Only problem is the best segment of ZD looks awful under this theme.

6XHQYRd.png

Can we have a super duper mega theme fix on that. I want to host a sleepover soon. I plan on having my friends over and we're going to stay up all night reading ZD blogs. :)
I am also a user of that fine theme. It's good to know others are using it as well.

Reactions: Dan

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
How about making the pages longer or having an option to view more on one page for threads. Is this a possibility. I have suggested this before but we had a horrific incident recently where an almost identical topic was made to another just over a week after the most recent post in the first. So I think it's worth considering what can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom