• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Dan

I still think we should delete groups that have been inactive for 6 months.

I think it would be better if inactive groups were hidden in the group section. Some really great posts (believe it or not) have been made inside groups so it would be a shame to remove those inactive groups altogether.

Last edited:

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
Are competitions dead now? I enjoyed entering in at least the music competition, and I know others that enjoyed the writing and drawing competitions.

Dan

Are competitions dead now? I enjoyed entering in at least the music competition, and I know others that enjoyed the writing and drawing competitions.

They're currently dead as user participation itself had been pretty dead. I'm sure in the future the competition leaders will test the waters again to see if there's much interest.
It is difficult though, we're tried not to host competitions as frequently dropping them from weekly to monthly but even that wasn't successful. Even once a year forum events don't see as much participation as they used to.

They're currently dead as user participation itself had been pretty dead. I'm sure in the future the competition leaders will test the waters again to see if there's much interest.
It is difficult though, we're tried not to host competitions as frequently dropping them from weekly to monthly but even that wasn't successful. Even once a year forum events don't see as much participation as they used to.
I think they might get more members this time around, but seriously I really want to do the art contest even if I get banned after.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member

Yeah, it's pretty much exactly as Dan put it. The lack of entries from the community pretty much killed the area off last year. To give you some idea, out of 21 rounds that I've run for the drawing competition, 13 of those had no entries. Of the 8 that did have entries, around half of those only had a single submission. I've been in touch with all competition leaders about this earlier in the year and I think most of us were waiting to see what was going to happen with ZD and ZI combining before testing the waters again this year. The competitions themselves aren't gone permanently, they're just on hiatus for now.

Yeah, it's pretty much exactly as Dan put it. The lack of entries from the community pretty much killed the area off last year. To give you some idea, out of 21 rounds that I've run for the drawing competition, 13 of those had no entries. Of the 8 that did have entries, around half of those only had a single submission. I've been in touch with all competition leaders about this earlier in the year and I think most of us were waiting to see what was going to happen with ZD and ZI combining before testing the waters again this year. The competitions themselves aren't gone permanently, they're just on hiatus for now.
What if someone else temporarily took over the competition so as not to waste the time of the normal hosts but so it can still be open? That way everyone wins.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
What if there was some promotion on the main site? Like just a post once a month or so saying that there are competitions going on at the forums. The main site gets a hell of a lot more traffic than the forums, this could attract some new blood to come and participate. I really enjoyed the competitions. Even if I didn't enter myself, I liked looking at/listening to the entries and voting for my favourite.

I wonder if the issue lies with the competitions being too frequent. I recall the music competition being two weeks, but it was almost always getting extended to at least a month. Maybe if we had each competition last a month, but have them all on different weeks? For example, first week of a month would be the beginning of the drawing competition, second week would be the beginning of the writing competition, third week would be the beginning of the music competition, etc. Repeat next month. This gives participants plenty of time to complete entries and vote, and this way there's something happening in the section every week. idk how well it would work this way, but it's worth a try I think. Sometimes, two or three competitions would run at exactly the same time, and I'm sure some people who wanted to participate in both weren't able to. Everybody would win this way. Also, people who normally only participate in a certain competition can at least check out the others and vote for the entries because there would be a dedicated week for each competition. Like I said, I'm not too sure it would actually work, but I do believe it could and it's at least worth a shot.

I actually meant to bring something up recently about reviving the music competition, as it was my favourite one overall. I don't have much time nor resources to participate myself at the moment, but I would love to host it if Heroine can't or doesn't want to anymore.

Dan

What if there was some promotion on the main site? Like just a post once a month or so saying that there are competitions going on at the forums. The main site gets a hell of a lot more traffic than the forums, this could attract some new blood to come and participate. I really enjoyed the competitions. Even if I didn't enter myself, I liked looking at/listening to the entries and voting for my favourite.

I wonder if the issue lies with the competitions being too frequent. I recall the music competition being two weeks, but it was almost always getting extended to at least a month. Maybe if we had each competition last a month, but have them all on different weeks? For example, first week of a month would be the beginning of the drawing competition, second week would be the beginning of the writing competition, third week would be the beginning of the music competition, etc. Repeat next month. This gives participants plenty of time to complete entries and vote, and this way there's something happening in the section every week. idk how well it would work this way, but it's worth a try I think. Sometimes, two or three competitions would run at exactly the same time, and I'm sure some people who wanted to participate in both weren't able to. Everybody would win this way. Also, people who normally only participate in a certain competition can at least check out the others and vote for the entries because there would be a dedicated week for each competition. Like I said, I'm not too sure it would actually work, but I do believe it could and it's at least worth a shot.

I actually meant to bring something up recently about reviving the music competition, as it was my favourite one overall. I don't have much time nor resources to participate myself at the moment, but I would love to host it if Heroine can't or doesn't want to anymore.

That's actually a great idea.
I also think perhaps we need a bigger prize too just to add a little more incentive.

@Tristan @Mamono101. There was a period where Djinn would post community competition winners on the main site: http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2012/10/dge-community-competition-winners/

If Djinn or another main site staff member could get those kinds of posts up again, it could definitely boost competition interest. I think it would be better than a simple reminder because people might be more inclined to submit something if they see an example.

I also agree with the idea of staggering the competitions. I think interest dies down when too much is happening at once. As Tristan mentioned, this is especially problematic for some of the competitions that require a bit more time to submit something, particularly the music competition.

Is there some way one can be notified if they are ignored? I know this could cause some contention, but that would be better than trying needlessly to say something to someone without realizing that they can't hear you thinking that they are just busy talking to someone else or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom