• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

How do you figure? If they are good staff, they will be re-elected. That's like saying the President should automatically get 2 terms cause like, he put a lot of work into the country.

I figure that might happen because of personal bias. I personally have no idea who is "good staff" around here, because I rarely see anything the staff does as a normal user. It's kind of hard to judge when so much of what the staff does is hidden.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I personally don't like the idea of Mod elections. I can see is eventually turning more into vote for your friend rather than vote for the best candidate for the job, as others have stated is a problem they see too. If we were to do this it should be small scale, like hold elections for just one new Mod to work with the existing staff. It'll be a trail thing just to see if the elected Mod even qualifies for the job.
What makes someone qualified? If the community likes them enough to elect them, they're qualified. In the US, people are actively supporting Donald Trump. That is their right as US citizens. How is it any different here?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
What makes someone qualified? If the community likes them enough to elect them, they're qualified. In the US, people are actively supporting Donald Trump. That is their right as US citizens. How is it any different here?
That's true, but this is a forum, not a perfect democracy. The members definitely should have a word in forum affairs, and have an equal opinion in things. Yeah, voting for staff could work, for awhile it might work. But do you honestely think it'll always work? When we're gone, if this generation of members left and was replaced with a new one, would they use the voting the same way, or would they exploit it to get staff elected who have no place being staff?

Just a lot to think about is all, seems like a huge hassle for a small forum. It could work, but is it really were things need to go? Will it actually be productive for the sake of the forum? Shouldn't there be regulations to vote? A registration maybe? Shouldn't there be certain qualifications that absolutely need to be met to run for a staff position?

Jamie

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill
Says a guy who was elected. There is no real argument against democracy. It just doesn't exist. There is no real reason why if everyone is supposed to be an equal human being, not everyone has a say in who governs them. I'd argue that not being able to elect staff members actually violates the "treat everyone equally" clause in the rules.

Jamie

That's true, but this is a forum, not a perfect democracy. The members definitely should have a word in forum affairs, and have an equal opinion in things. Yeah, voting for staff could work, for awhile it might work. But do you honestely think it'll always work? When we're gone, if this generation of members left and was replaced with a new one, would they use the voting the same way, or would they exploit it to get staff elected who have no place being staff?

Just a lot to think about is all, seems like a huge hassle for a small forum. It could work, but is it really were things need to go? Will it actually be productive for the sake of the forum? Shouldn't there be regulations to vote? A registration maybe? Shouldn't there be certain qualifications that absolutely need to be met to run for a staff position?
People will elect who they want to be staff. Whoever is chosen is the opinion of the people, which is a lot fairer and more reasonable than having no voice.

Jamie

so hylian knights but with staff? what could possibly go wrong
Except the Hylian Knights elected themselves (like what the staff do right now). So it's actually nothing like the Hylian Knights, because every user has a voice.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
People could vote either to destroy the forums on purpose or for ****s and giggles and then destroy them by accident.

The current team need to select compatible staff that are going to work with them. If the community votes on it then there is a massive chance the wrong person will be picked.

Jamie

so you're saying that the chances of people rigging the "elections" are nonexistent? you dont think even for a moment that a bunch of people will group up and nominate/vote for their friend just for ****s and giggles?
Of course they exist, and I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have elections. I've already said that, because the site is supposed to have a certain standard, that there is an argument against electing mods. I'm just saying that it is the most fair way to do things and it's a shame we don't have a voice at all. That's why over the years there are regularly staff picked who most of us barely even knew existed.

And to be fair, couldn't a real life election be rigged that way too? I mean, again, people are voting for Donald Trump right now. But in the interests of freedom, that should be allowed.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
so you're saying that the chances of people rigging the "elections" are nonexistent? you dont think even for a moment that a bunch of people will group up and nominate/vote for their friend just for ****s and giggles?

To be fair, in any sort of democratic system there is an element of trust — trust elections won't be rigged — trust members won't vote against the community's best interest.

Though to be clear everyone, we must put staff elections in perspective; currently we've got an excellent staff team, which gives us no pressing reason to change, but this might be a fun experiment in the future. For example: my system of staff elections would consist of preselected candidates by staff, then community members and staff that have been around for at least a year would choose. This system should prevent GeorgeBushClitorusMaster78 from becoming community coordinator.

Jamie

To be fair, in any sort of democratic system there is an element of trust — trust elections won't be rigged — trust members won't vote against the community's best interest.

Though to be clear everyone, we must put staff elections in perspective; currently we've got an excellent staff team, which gives us no pressing reason to change, but this might be a fun experiment in the future. For example: my system of staff elections would consist of preselected candidates by staff, then community members and staff that have been around for at least a year would choose. This system should prevent GeorgeBushClitorusMaster78 from becoming community coordinator.
It didn't prevent him from becoming President of the United States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom