• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
There's this recurring issue of the Bold/Italics/Underline formats automatically getting ticked when trying to use the shortcuts (ie Ctrl+I) to disable them again. I'm surprised nobody's brought this up sooner, but it's kind of offputting that PC users would experience this (it wouldn't happen on mobile, at least not for me) and annoying to have to pause and manually tick italics off each time.

In order to test this, simply hit Ctrl+I, type a set of words, hit Ctrl+I again, then Space, and it should go straight back into italics. Weird, I know.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Maybe remove the restriction on creating 1 blog thread per 24 hours for members based on quality of posts, amount of time having been a member, etc. Whatever the admins or mods see fit, really. If that would present too many issues, no problem of course. I just thought I'd mention it.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
There's this recurring issue of the Bold/Italics/Underline formats automatically getting ticked when trying to use the shortcuts (ie Ctrl+I) to disable them again. I'm surprised nobody's brought this up sooner, but it's kind of offputting that PC users would experience this (it wouldn't happen on mobile, at least not for me) and annoying to have to pause and manually tick italics off each time.

In order to test this, simply hit Ctrl+I, type a set of words, hit Ctrl+I again, then Space, and it should go straight back into italics. Weird, I know.

I just tried to test this out using Chrome on my Mac (I don't have a PC) and could not replicate the issue. Is this just happening in one specific browser (if so which one?) or do you find it happening in multiple browsers? In any case Mases will hopefully be updating the forum to the latest version soon and I'd like to see if this is still an issue once that is done.

Maybe remove the restriction on creating 1 blog thread per 24 hours for members based on quality of posts, amount of time having been a member, etc. Whatever the admins or mods see fit, really. If that would present too many issues, no problem of course. I just thought I'd mention it.

I'd rather avoid getting into policies of applying rules or determining what constitutes "quality" where possible since it is quite subjective. In any case I think that one blog thread per 24 hours is sufficient as it is to be honest.

Make a trophy worth 7 points for getting all the other trophies so the points can round out to an even 10.
I've added two new trophies to even it out to a multiple of 10 total points: One worth 2 points for having an avatar and one worth 5 points for following at least 10 users.

The Oracle Game Walkthroughs on the main sight need a heavy rewrite a lot of info is wrong and Oracle of Ages doesn't have a linked game walkthrough like Oracle of Seasons does.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Would it be possible to give blog owners more moderation perms of their own blogs? I would love to manage my posted threads in there better, like merge some and such, without having to bother a mod about it.
I think this would be a good idea so I've gone through and added some extra moderation permissions to each blog as below:
Use inline moderation on threads / posts
Stick / unstick thread
Lock / unlock threads
Manage (move, merge, etc.) any thread
Delete any thread
Manage any tags

The Oracle Game Walkthroughs on the main sight need a heavy rewrite a lot of info is wrong and Oracle of Ages doesn't have a linked game walkthrough like Oracle of Seasons does.
You'd most easily get in touch with the walkthrough staff over at the ZD discord server which you can join here. I'll pass on your feedback regardless though so thanks for bringing this up.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Remove reactions other than “like” from MD threads.

I’ve never seen other reactions used in ways that a like couldn’t manage and other reactions just end up as subtle jabs. It’s “mature” discussions, and pokes and prods at people should be discouraged, actual dialogue encouraged. If you can’t post and explain why you disagree, it’s probably not worth it anyway.

Full disclosure, I don’t claim to be above this behavior, I’ve likely done it too, but there’s always room for improvement

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I disagree. You'd have to remove them elsewhere as well for that point because people definitely use them mockingly outside of the MD too.

And sometimes people just say **** so absurd they need to know that, but you can't exactly just tell them that in MD without it being considered off topic. If you can't handle getting a laugh or mad react in MD then maybe just don't post there.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
I think MD is already a fairly toxic place and taking some of the edge off could do it some good. I don't tend to use the reaction system much to begin with anyways though, so maybe i'm underestimating how important it is to people.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I think MD is already a fairly toxic place and taking some of the edge off could do it some good. I don't tend to use the reaction system much to begin with anyways though, so maybe i'm underestimating how important it is to people.
I’m personally in agreement with Shroom on this issue (though I doubt it’s possible to turn off reacts in one sub forum, but that’s a question for Jimmy). I think that reacts used in a joking way to “take off the edge” only adds to a toxic environment as there’s no discussion to be had. Sure, you might be totally aghast of what a person says or you disagree so strongly that you can’t fathom their argument, but I think reacts used in a sarcastic or mocking way does not improve the dialogue or make the MD a beneficial sub forum.

If not disabling the reaction system, I think because the Mature Discussion board already has its own set of stricter rules, they could be updated to reflect trolling via the reaction system. While I do agree with Minish that these type of things happen in different sections as well, the MD has a very different tone and environment, and it's a bit different for someone to "haha" someone who is being dead serious about a personal belief, than it is to "haha" someone for saying something about a video game. There is no genuine use for "haha" in the MD; as no one should be trying to make a funny post in the first place. Laughing at people for posting something, regardless if you think it's stupid, isn't really a good way to promote healthy discussion, and we've encountered the reaction system abuse in the MD be the cause of several arguments in the past.

I agree that disabling the system in the MD should be something look into at the very least--if it is possible to be disabled specific subform anyway. But there are also other options available to consider, but this would require a lot of vigilance to ensure the abuse is not occurring. Something definitely should be done to keep this form of baiting to a minimum in general though, as it does take a great amount of courage to post in the MD in the first place. You're making yourself vulnerable for sharing your beliefs and being laughed at is not constructive whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom