• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

I won't remove it because it saves a lot of trouble, but I'll give you the solution to avoid posts getting caught. Don't include the http:// or https:// part of links in your posts.

Can we block links in thread titles, it seems that most of the ones the bots use (at the ones that are getting through) are not including the protocol

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm overseas at the moment and don't have a great deal of time to sit down and make a fix but I am fairly sure once I am back I can easily change the character limit although there isn't an option built into xenforo to change it through the Admin Control Panel. In the meantime try using sites like this https://tinyurl.com/

Also as for the bots, I'll also look into more fixes as suggested for those upon return.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a quick update on the bot suggestions.

I've made some changes to check thread titles for hyperlinks and have tested it to see that it does work. So that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Polls are still an issue for now as bots can post the links in as a poll question or answer. I've written some code adjustments to prevent users with under 3 posts making a poll but am not able to fully implement this yet due to a crappy connection here on this hotel's wifi not loading my Admin Control Panel effectively. I'll try again within the next few days.

I have also made a clear notice for users with under three posts "Welcome to the forums, please note that your first three posts will include a check to prevent spam. Any posts including hyperlinks will need to be first approved by a moderator during this time. You will also not be able to create a poll until you have made three posts.". This displays right up at the top of the forum index page and other pages (such as when creating a thread), it remains until it is dismissed.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Just a quick update on the bot suggestions.

I've made some changes to check thread titles for hyperlinks and have tested it to see that it does work. So that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Polls are still an issue for now as bots can post the links in as a poll question or answer. I've written some code adjustments to prevent users with under 3 posts making a poll but am not able to fully implement this yet due to a crappy connection here on this hotel's wifi not loading my Admin Control Panel effectively. I'll try again within the next few days.

I have also made a clear notice for users with under three posts "Welcome to the forums, please note that your first three posts will include a check to prevent spam. Any posts including hyperlinks will need to be first approved by a moderator during this time. You will also not be able to create a poll until you have made three posts.". This displays right up at the top of the forum index page and other pages (such as when creating a thread), it remains until it is dismissed.

I've noticed though recently with the botwave that the title isn't anything at all it's just garbled text such as "afap'gasgihasgfias" which means they'd dodge that title check. Hopefully the check on the first few posts will kill alot of them in the water as it were ^^

Good work jimmu ^^ love having receptive admins who don't meme

Makes me curious how bots are filling out the new user form, I wonder if a 'honeypot' field could help where the user is asked to leave a field blank

Edit: There's Something called KeyCAPTCHA that lets you reassemble an image to verify a human user, but it seems like it would make the site completely inaccessible to those with screen readers

Last edited:
i was referring to the almighty jackass in the sky called kitsu, but if you feel it applies to you shrugs

freshouttahecks.png

Dan

Can there be a policy regarding how far public displays of affection go? Like, I get some people on here are dating but there's not really a reason for it to be expressed so vilely in the shoutbox. It makes people uncomfortable.

Why do you keep dismissing my advances!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can there be a policy regarding how far public displays of affection go? Like, I get some people on here are dating but there's not really a reason for it to be expressed so vilely in the shoutbox. It makes people uncomfortable.
If something is being expressed vilely it could fall under either:

Keep It Clean: We want this to be an open and welcoming environment for people of all ages, nationalities, and beliefs. This can easily be accomplished by "keeping it clean" and having little to no cursing or foul language within posts. There is a word filter in place, and bypassing it is not allowed. Members shall also refrain from posting any messages, images, or other media that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented (except in appropriate Mature Discussions), hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws (including piracy, e.g. ROMs, warez). (Infraction: 3 (language), 6 (other), or 20 (extreme) points)

Chatbox Content: The chatbox will not be moderated as strictly in order to allow a more open atmosphere. However, members are expected to heed moderator requests (such as toning down spam or halting harassment) immediately. Failure to do so will result in being banned from the chatbox for 24 hours, or more for repeat offenses. In extreme cases, infractions may be given. Descriptive/detailed sexual discussion in the chatbox is not allowed. An occasional innuendo or joke is fine as long as it isn't highly descriptive or directed towards another member, but the forum and the chatbox are not an appropriate place for highly sexually-oriented discussions.

It’s hard to pin down an exact policy since it isn’t so black and white. If a moderator is around and says to tone it down a member should tone it down. Otherwise report the member and we will contact them to tell them to tone it down if we think they took things too far. I’m not aware of any incident you’re referring to, please bring it to our attention though (obviously not in this thread).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom