• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Dunno if this is doable but...

In the SB when I go to edit a post I typo'd all over I often miss the edit option and hit delete.

Ive seen others do this too so I'm wondering if anything could be added like an 'are you sure button' to the delete option.

Dunno if it'd be possible but i'm putting it out there.

I’m out at the moment but when I’m at my computer next I’ll take a look into it. Perhaps it might already be in the current version (I think we might not have it upto date but it’s a paid addon and our license for renewals may have expired). I’ll let you know later on what’s the go :)

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I’m out at the moment but when I’m at my computer next I’ll take a look into it. Perhaps it might already be in the current version (I think we might not have it upto date but it’s a paid addon and our license for renewals may have expired). I’ll let you know later on what’s the go :)

Haven't forgotten this, will still be looking into it. Just could be a bit on this particular one.

Can we get more shop stuff to buy with our rupees? Rupees just feel like they are useless except as a way of marking whose posting more often

As I've said in the past the add-on for shop that we have is pretty crap. There are no other free good alternatives unfortunately, so for now all items have to be based off permissions.

That said, for now I have added a new item. The ability to bookmark posts on the forum. To bookmark a post it will appear as a link at the bottom of that post (between "Like +Quote Reply" and "Report"). To view all of your bookmarks, click your username (next to "Inbox") and it will appear as "Bookmark List" under "People You Ignore". This is available in the shop as of now but again, because the add-on is crap if you want the lifetime purchase then transfer me the rupees as in the item description. Note I have also increased some prices because inflation. I'll take a look and see what else I can come up with in the not too distant future.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I don't want to be super nit picky but slander refers specifically to false statements. So are we banning only false statements or all harsh insults? If the latter, one I think the rule should be reworded, and two, at what point does it turn from gossip into something more harsh?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't want to be super nit picky but slander refers specifically to false statements. So are we banning only false statements or all harsh insults? If the latter, one I think the rule should be reworded, and two, at what point does it turn from gossip into something more harsh?

Often it isn’t clear to determine what is true or false and it’s a matter of one person’s word against another’s. So I’d rather people leave their personal grievances off of this forum and avoid both insults and claims of x person doing x negative thing to them or treating them x negative way, we’ve had instances where such type of claims have been proven untrue and others where it isn’t possible to determine the real truth. These insults and claims seek to undermine other people’s image of the person being referred to (often unfairly) and this kind of drama is to be avoided here.

Which alternative wording would you propose to that effect?

I’d also like to note that we have conceded that it’s fair to offer warnings rather than jumping directly to infractions where appropriate. You can’t write a rule that will fit every situation so as with many other rules this falls to the discression of the mod team.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Often it isn’t clear to determine what is true or false and it’s a matter of one person’s word against another’s. So I’d rather people leave their personal grievances off of this forum and avoid both insults and claims of x person doing x negative thing to them or treating them x negative way, we’ve had instances where such type of claims have been proven untrue and others where it isn’t possible to determine the real truth. These insults and claims seek to undermine other people’s image of the person being referred to (often unfairly) and this kind of drama is to be avoided here.

I’d also like to note that we have conceded that it’s fair to offer warnings rather than jumping directly to infractions where appropriate. You can’t write a rule that will fit every situation so as with many other rules this falls to the discression of the mod team.
Defamation maybe? I'm not actually sure on what the best word choice would be but slander specifically refers to false statements.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Defamation maybe? I'm not actually sure on what the best word choice would be but slander specifically refers to false statements.
Well slander should obviously be banned too but I am not opposed to adding defamation too to further clarify. I'm sure people already get the gist but it doesn't hurt to make wording more clear so cheers.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started

I have an idea. To clearify, I still don't agree with this rule. If they're making death threats, then that's one thing, but banning speech that can be deemed as hateful is ridiculous. People should be able to say "hey that guy's an asshole" or something every once in a while. I feel banning drama won't stop drama.

But anyway, you can change the wording to "threatening" or "harassing." Further, perhaps have a mod start a pm with those in question and make the OP, "This is where it's going to be left. Any misconduct related to this topic outside the thread will not be tolerated." That gives the parties an opportunity to hash it out and get it out of their system, as opposed to increased passive-aggressiveness. At the same time the moderation team would've taken a big step to resolving the conflict rather than outright banning the conflict in the first place.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have an idea. To clearify, I still don't agree with this rule. If they're making death threats, then that's one thing, but banning speech that can be deemed as hateful is ridiculous. People should be able to say "hey that guy's an asshole" or something every once in a while. I feel banning drama won't stop drama.

But anyway, you can change the wording to "threatening" or "harassing." Further, perhaps have a mod start a pm with those in question and make the OP, "This is where it's going to be left. Any misconduct related to this topic outside the thread will not be tolerated." That gives the parties an opportunity to hash it out and get it out of their system, as opposed to increased passive-aggressiveness. At the same time the moderation team would've taken a big step to resolving the conflict rather than outright banning the conflict in the first place.

"Threatening" can also be threatening someone's reputation too depending on how you interpret it. Obviously threatening someone actual harm isn't allowed but that's not what we are talking about here. "Harassing" is already banned in the rules.

As for the PM idea, I think that it is a genuinely well thought-out suggestion overall. In fact, we already have done a similar kind of thing many times. It is preferred that members sort their issues out themselves but we have always been willing to mediate where appropriate and when requested. This option usually comes after I've spoken with both members and we have agreed to talk it out together in PM. I think forcing someone into this conversation is not appropriate though, we can't force people to argue with each other or sort out their own issues and sometimes it is just better for the users to ignore each other (either just ignoring their messages, ignoring them with the ignore feature, or in only very very extreme cases a force ignore facilitated by myself). Generally where parties are willing I like to hear both sides of the story and then suggest solutions which may or may not include a kind of mediation similar to your own idea.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I just realized that the blog section here is not open for public viewing, it's restricted to members only. I can understand why forums like Community Area and Life Advice are hidden from the public, but if the MD and TOYM are open for guests to view, along with even this thread, then the blogs probably could be too. All one has to do to view them is click the register button, which only takes a few seconds, but that means banned members can't view them at all.

I get that most people would probably want them to stay hidden, but I personally think they could be public. It's not a huge thing, mind you, just something I noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom